Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 - Cloud Functionality and Apps

SteadfastElk
Aspirant

RN104 - Cloud Functionality and Apps

Happy with a new RN104. Currently two area's of interest:

- It looks like the cloud functionality is a little buggy. According to support, this may be related to with current Netgear server upgrades.
I'm currently unable to properly create and manage ReadyCloud users. Will investigate further.
- Also, I'd like to run some of the available apps like Wordpress and make them accessible from outside my LAN/Internet router.

Looking forward to exploring the expertise in the forums!

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

@JennC wrote:
Hello SteadfastElk,

The share permission settings for ReadyCloud users is done on ReadyCloud URL and not in the admin page. You have to log in as the main ReadyCloud account. When you get to the admin page of the NAS and go to Cloud then click Settings button of ReadyCloud, this will show you the main ReadyCloud account that has the authority to set permissions over ReadyCloud URL. Take note of the ReadyCloud account and log in to readycloud.netgear.com using that account and this should show you the the 3 tabs, Home, Manage and Discover where you will be able to see all invited users under Manage. You will not see the ReadyCloud main account under Manage tab because it is already the main account and you cannot change its settings here, since it is like an admin account for access the NAS via ReadyCloud it has access to all shares.

When you log in to the URL using one of the invited users, it won't have anything about the same NAS under manage tab because it is not the main account and just an invited user, unless this invited user has an access to another NAS where this same account is the main one. The discover tab is for the ReadyCloud URL to detect if there is a NAS on the network where the user is located.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Hi JennC,

This sure helps a lot, because it confirms my understanding of how these things work.

One issue is: I'd like to restrict access to all shares from outside the home to read only access. You're saying this can't be done for the Cloud Admin user, so I'll have to live with that. Apparently this is designed behavior.

Thanks very much for all your feedback. I'll consider this the solution.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
sim1410
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem here, just wondering if you have fixed the problem and how

Thanks

Simon
Message 2 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

Have you had a look at our knowledgebase articles for ReadyCloud available via support.netgear.com ?
Message 3 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

Currently on 6.4.1.

Yes, I've had a look at the knowledgebase articles.

It's still not working.

Message 4 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SteadfastElk,

Can you confirm if you are still having a problem creating an account through email invite? or giving a registered ReadyCLOUD ID with Read/Write access?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi SteadfastElk,

Can you confirm if you are still having a problem creating an account through email invite? or giving a registered ReadyCLOUD ID with Read/Write access?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hi BrianL,

Thanks. It seems to work for completely new invited users.

I can't change rights for the only account I haven't removed, which is my Readycloud admin accouont.

In the NAS web admin panel I can't change the rights I assigned earlier, as I believe should be the case for cloud users.

In the Readycloud portal I click "Share" and then "Full folder access" and "Next". The usere doesn't even show up in the "Shared folder options screen, and it's also otherwise empty, so I can do nothing there either,

Message 6 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SteadfastElk,

Thanks for providing feedback. I can confirm that setting permission works on my end under the Manage tab > Shared Folders > Select the Gear or Settings icon under the registered ReadyCLOUD ID. If this still doesn't work on your end, try disabling/reenabling ReadyCLOUD service under the Cloud tab and add DNS 8.8.8.8 on the active NIC.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

Thanks for providing feedback. I can confirm that setting permission works on my end under the Manage tab > Shared Folders > Select the Gear or Settings icon under the registered ReadyCLOUD ID. If this still doesn't work on your end, try disabling/reenabling ReadyCLOUD service under the Cloud tab and add DNS 8.8.8.8 on the active NIC.

Hi BrianL,

Cloud user:

I can administrate cloud users from the Manage tab in Readycloud. When I go to my NAS locally, I see the rights given to the user.

However, When I log In to Readycloud with this cloud user, the NAS shows in the discover tab, but the other two tabs are empty.

Admin Cloud user:

When in Readycloud with this user, I see the shares etc in the Home tab, the cloud user in the Manage tab and the NAS in the Discover Tab.

However, I don't see the Admin cloud user in the Manage tab.

As you suggested, I disabled and enabled the Readycloud service, and changed the DNS on the active NIC.

This does not help in anyway. Basically, the situation is as before.

Message 8 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SteadfastElk,

Does this happen with different or other invited ReadyCLOUD user ID? With regard to the admin user, It is normal for the ReadyCLOUD user ID not to show up in the manage tab. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

Hi BrianC,

I now have two cloud users and all tabs in Readycloud are filled. Strange some tabs are not populated sometimes.

If the admin user doesn't show up in the Readycloud Manage tab, how can I change rights granted to this user earlier?

The rights show up in the NAS local admin panel, but I can't change them there since it's a cloud user.

There is also no way to manage them in Readycloud. I must say I'm at a loss.

Message 10 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SteadfastElk,

The share permission settings for ReadyCloud users is done on ReadyCloud URL and not in the admin page. You have to log in as the main ReadyCloud account. When you get to the admin page of the NAS and go to Cloud then click Settings button of ReadyCloud, this will show you the main ReadyCloud account that has the authority to set permissions over ReadyCloud URL. Take note of the ReadyCloud account and log in to readycloud.netgear.com using that account and this should show you the the 3 tabs, Home, Manage and Discover where you will be able to see all invited users under Manage. You will not see the ReadyCloud main account under Manage tab because it is already the main account and you cannot change its settings here, since it is like an admin account for access the NAS via ReadyCloud it has access to all shares.

When you log in to the URL using one of the invited users, it won't have anything about the same NAS under manage tab because it is not the main account and just an invited user, unless this invited user has an access to another NAS where this same account is the main one. The discover tab is for the ReadyCloud URL to detect if there is a NAS on the network where the user is located.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Message 11 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

@JennC wrote:
Hello SteadfastElk,

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Hi JennC,

This sure helps a lot, because it confirms my understanding of how these things work.

One issue is: I'd like to restrict access to all shares from outside the home to read only access. You're saying this can't be done for the Cloud Admin user, so I'll have to live with that. Apparently this is designed behavior.

Thanks very much for all your feedback. I'll consider this the solution.

Message 12 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SteadfastElk,

Thanks for the feedback. You can check our updated user manual and turn to page 84.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 15
SteadfastElk
Aspirant

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi SteadfastElk,

Thanks for the feedback. You can check our updated user manual and turn to page 84.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hi BrianL,

That certainly helps. Thanks again!

Message 14 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SteadfastElk,

You're welcome 🙂 Just keep posting questions, possible issues and suggestions in the community. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements