× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Two big issues with Plex on the RN202

crw1985
Aspirant

Two big issues with Plex on the RN202

So I bought the RN202 based on it having a pretty beefy processor for the price, and it having Plex support. The device has been great, but 2 big issues with plex makes me regret purchasing this unit. 

Issue 1

Restarting the plex service, or restarting the NAS device, resets all your Plex server preferences.

A workaround for this issue has thankfully been posted here:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/201699/plex-making-multiple-copies-in-client-of-server-upon-reboot...

Issue 2

Plex doesn't find matches for any media that has unicode titles, such as Amélie or Brüno.

These are correctly named files that other plex users have no issue getting matching metadata for. non unicode media matches fine, it's just all media with special characters that has problems.

Does anyone have any theories on why this second issue would be specific to RN2xx devices?

Do any more savvy unix users have any theories where I might start looking to fix this myself?

Plex forums seem pretty dead, and the poeple there seem pretty fed up with Plex in general

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
crw1985
Aspirant

So it seems both issues are gone when i do the following

- Setup NAS in offline instalation instead of online (this probably had no effect on the situation)

- Install the latest public, main build, insteal of the latest, plexpass builds (both main and RN2xx builds have issues)

It would seem then that the plexpass builds contain these two issues. Issue 1 is confirmed as widespread. We just need somebody else to have the issue with the unicode titles now. 

Do you still require the plexpass build if you want support for the Apple TV 4?

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
Elan
Tutor

We'll definitiely look into both these issues.

I'm surprised at your characterization as the forums being "pretty dead" and people there being "pretty fed up". We have a large, vibrant community, and many of our employees are in there too! With the large volume of posts, it's hard to keep up sometimes 🙂

Message 2 of 19
Elan
Tutor

(I've filed the two issues at a high priority internally for us to investigate.)

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Elan wrote:

(I've filed the two issues at a high priority internally for us to investigate.)

FWIW I haven't seen either issue on my RN202.

I don't have a lot of unicode, but there are some artists and music tracks that go beyond ASCII and they are properly listed (and plex did find artist information).

And I've never seen the plex server settings get reset - and I have restarted my NAS quite a few times.

Message 4 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

StephenB are you using the new ARM 6.x (for RN2xx) special build? This issue has only been seen with that build.

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I never switched to the RN2xx plex app when the RN212 was launched.  I though the app said RN21x initially???  Though now it clearly does say RN2xx.

Is there much benefit to using it on the RN202?  The RN202 will transcode SD and audio with the standard arm app.  It stutters from time to time with 720p, and chokes on 1080p.

Message 6 of 19
ziggimon
Initiate

So for the RN202 series, the normal ARM 6.x package is what is supposed to match it. The RN2XX package is only designed for the RN21X series of devices. In the original post there is a link to a thread on forums.plex.tv that mentions editing a script file setlimits.sh, that file only exists in the RN21X package, so in that case users are getting confused by the naming and that will be corrected moving forward to avoid that.

The Unicode issue we will need to investigate, its not something we have noticed in testing so this if ofc something we would want to fix. Maybe switching to the ARM 6.X package rather than using the RN2XX package would resolve it.

- Mark

Message 7 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

Thanks for that Elan. I've tried everything to make sure neither issue is my own doing. Installing Plex on a factory fresh NAS, trying different builds, etc. The 1st issue is definitely experienced by more poeple than me, as somebody else has managed to find a workaround for it. I'm fairly certain the 2nd issue must be pretty wide spread as well. 

I just got the vibe on the Plex forums that most people now think of Plex as an endless troubleshooting endevour.

Message 8 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

Thanks Mark. But the build is named RN2xx, not RN21x, so most poeple would assume it is for the RN202 as well. I have tried the normal build on my RN202 as well, and Issue 1 and 2 were both definitely still present.

Message 9 of 19
Elan
Tutor

"I just got the vibe on the Plex forums that most people now think of Plex as an endless troubleshooting endevour."

That's something called "selection bias" Smiley Happy Generally speaking, if you're perfectly happy with your setup, you don't come and vent in a forum. How do I know this is true? From the difference between our active users, and the active forum users/posts.

Message 10 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

I don't want to start an argument with you, clearly there are many happy plex users. I'm just making the observation that your forums are dead, and the people there are disgruntled.

Message 11 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I use Plex and I'm very happy with it. It works well for me. I've recently got an Apple TV 4 (my first Apple TV) and the Plex app for that works great.

Message 12 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

So you have the server application on an rn202 and you don't get settings resets an Unicode title matching issues?
Message 13 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well at the moment I'm using it on my RN516.

I recently got a RN212 and I am hoping to try it on that soon.

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@crw1985 wrote:

Thanks Mark. But the build is named RN2xx, not RN21x, so most poeple would assume it is for the RN202 as well. I have tried the normal build on my RN202 as well, and Issue 1 and 2 were both definitely still present.

My recollection is that it initially was named RN21x.  

Anyway, I've always used the normal build on my RN202, and my results aren't the same as yours - AFAIK I'm not seeing either issue (though its hard to tell with unicode, since it might depend on the particular characters being used, and the file protocol for putting the media on the NAS).

Message 15 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

Ok i'll do a full factory reset again, install the main build and see how i go. I'll play around with the files i'm trying to match to try and rule out issues there. What firmware are you on?

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@crw1985 wrote:

Ok i'll do a full factory reset again, install the main build and see how i go. I'll play around with the files i'm trying to match to try and rule out issues there. What firmware are you on?

6.4.2-T59 at the moment (I am planning to upgrade to -T72 today).  

The plex server is Version 0.9.12.8 (not the latest, but generally I've waited for the app itself to offer an update control).

Message 17 of 19
crw1985
Aspirant

So it seems both issues are gone when i do the following

- Setup NAS in offline instalation instead of online (this probably had no effect on the situation)

- Install the latest public, main build, insteal of the latest, plexpass builds (both main and RN2xx builds have issues)

It would seem then that the plexpass builds contain these two issues. Issue 1 is confirmed as widespread. We just need somebody else to have the issue with the unicode titles now. 

Do you still require the plexpass build if you want support for the Apple TV 4?

Message 18 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is now a build available via plex.tv/downloads that works with the Apple TV 4. You don't need to use a PlexPass build.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements