× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Secured NFS configuation to allow authorised Hosts to mount

Tasneetpc
Aspirant

Secured NFS configuation to allow authorised Hosts to mount

We would to configure  secured NFS so  that only authorised hosts will be able to mount the shares.This will enable us to mitigate the vulnerabilities, as reported in the screenshot.

Kindly let us know how to do this secured NFS config?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

What NAS model do you have, and what firmware is it running?

Also, is limiting NFS access to specific IP addresses enough? 

I am wondering if you really need NFS.  SMB 3.x (perhaps with active directory) might be a better path.

Message 2 of 4
Tasneetpc
Aspirant

Model : RN4312 V2

Firmware: 6.10.8

How to  restrict the mounting with  authenticated NFS  or the impact of Disabling the NFS ?

if we Disable the NFS, what will be the impact on the business?  We use the  Netgear NAS to store the Backups 

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Tasneetpc wrote:

if we Disable the NFS, what will be the impact on the business?  

Only you can answer that.  What clients on your network access the NAS using NFS?  If there aren't any, then you can just turn it off.  

As far as backups go, Windows and MacOS PCs would normally store them using SMB or iSCSI.  Linux would typically use rsync (though Linux also supports SMB).  None of those require NFS.

@Tasneetpc wrote:

How to  restrict the mounting with authenticated NFS.

You can set the protocol to NFSv4 from the system->settings->services page of the NAS web ui.  You can also restrict access to specific clients using the network access controls in each share settings.

I've never attempted to set up authenticated NFS myself.  Server-side (e.g. NAS) authentication would require use of Kerberos - and I don't recall seeing any posts here from other users who have deployed that on their ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements