× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 2120 v2 hangs after changing USB 3.0 harddrive

RC001
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2120 v2 hangs after changing USB 3.0 harddrive

Hello,

we have a problem with our "ReadyNAS 2120 v2". Every day when we connect our USB 3.0 portable hard drive for backup on our ReadyNAS, the ReadyNAS hangs up and we have no access to the ReadyNAS. It is not possible to restart the ReadyNAS with the power button on the front panel. Only a cold start solves the problem.

The background:

We bought the ReadyNAS for an ESX Server (with iSCSI) in 2013. The device has been used for the functions iSCSI drive, FTP backup storage and USB 3.0 Backup (external). After some time, the unit began to hang over again (as described above). We contact the Netgear Support. They made a analysis of the error, but the Netgear support has not found anything in the log files of the ReadyNAS. The Netgear Support has recommended to us via the control on the front panel to reinstall the device and reset to factory defaults. That we have done several times.

In this context, a further error occurred. The ReadyNAS has reset itself by one day. So we lost several business documents and e-mails from several days of the whole enterprise. In this context, we have decided to use another solution. We bought a ReadyNAS 3130.

The ReadyNAS 3130 now worked as an iSCSI device and the ReadyNAS 2120 used for backup and USB 3.0 Backup (external). After some time the problem occurred again on our ReadyNAS 2120. We have the same error again as described.

We think that this is related to the change of the USB hard drive. One hour after changing the USB hard disk, there was a failure on the ReadyNAS 2120 regardless of the start of the backup. A check of the USB disk has revealed nothing.

In the meantime, we have replaced the ReadyNAS 2120 within the warranty period. The new Device is a "ReadyNAS 2120 v2" with the newest firmware.

Yesterday, the new device has hung up again.

Need more information? What should we do?

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running and what model portable USB3 disk?

Have you tried putting an AC powered USB3 hub between the NAS and the USB disk?

Do you have any open/past support case numbers that I could look at to review the history of the problem?

Are you able to send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) if they are not already attached to an open support case?

The ReadyNAS 2120 v2 has a more powerful CPU than the ReadyNAS 2120.

Message 2 of 8
RC001
Aspirant

Hello,

thank you for your fast answer! Below I will answer your questions:

Which firmware are you running and what model portable USB3 disk?

Firmware: Ready NAS OS 6.4.0

USB 3.0 Disk: Western Digital My Passport 0740 and the successor model.

Have you tried putting an AC powered USB3 hub between the NAS and the USB disk?

No.

Do you have any open/past support case numbers that I could look at to review the history of the problem?

Yes. Number: 25897331, RMA: #1593537

Are you able to send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) if they are not already attached to an open support case?

I sent you the Log Files. Last hang up was on 27th Nov 2015. You see the changed serial number, too. (because of replacement)

Message 3 of 8
RC001
Aspirant

Hello,

I sent you a more recent version of the log files since the last hang up was a few minutes ago.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

One of the disks in your NAS has a rapidly rising reallocated sector count. Have you considered that this disk might be the problem?

Message 5 of 8
RC001
Aspirant

Hello,

In the past, we already had the problem with the HDD. We have already exchanged 3 of 4 of the Seagate hard drives. This is a bad series of Seagate hard drives. We will replace the hard disk.

We think the defective hard disk is not related to the problem, because it also occurs when all disks are functioning.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have released 6.4.1 now. If you still have the problem on that and after replacing the failing disk we will need a fresh set of logs and to take some further steps to diagnose your issue.

Message 7 of 8
RC001
Aspirant

Hello!

Now we have done the following:

1. We removed the HDD with the relocated Sectors and sent it to Seagate for an RMA
  2. (The problem was in the "3-HDD-operation" continued)
  3. After we receive the new hard drive, we have these installed again
  4. We waited until the RAID was rebuilt
  5. After the rebuild of RAID, we have performed the firmware update to 6.4.1
  6. Now we have performed 2 backups after installing the firmware update and had no more error.

The firmware update has apparently solved the problem. If we should again have problems, we will contact you again here.

Thank you for the great support!

Best regards

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements