× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readyNas Pro Business to Readynas 316 disk migration problem

ShepRCS
Aspirant

readyNas Pro Business to Readynas 316 disk migration problem #26124919

Hi All

My readynas pro died at the weekend.  I shut it down whilst I upgraded my router then when I went to turn it back on it was just dead.  No response to power button or anything.

I tested the PSU thinking that was what had gone but seems that it was something else as the PSU checked out ok.

So reading on here that I could boot a 316 into OS4 i bought a diskless one that arrived today.

Booted it using a spare disk

Upgraded firmware to latest one

shut it down

removed spare disk

inserted old disks into 316 

booted 316 into OS4

Only problem is I can't access the volume.

It seems that Disk 4 is dead, looking at the logs it seems it has been going for ages but for some reason the Pro stopped emailing to tell me and I hadn't checked.  Not sure why this means I can't access the volume as it was in XRAID so has a 1 drive fault tolerance.

I've logged a call with support and they are going to look into it for me, but I was wondering if I can just replace disk 4 with a new one and let it rebuild itself or if as it is running os4 on os6 hardware if that won't work.

Any thoughts appreciated

Message 1 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ShepRCS,

Welcome to the community!

It seems more than 1 disk is bad. It is best you continue with the support team and do not remove disk nor change anything. This may need escalation.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at the logs, the reallocated sector count for one disk had a huge jump from 0 to 910 back in November 2014. At that point I would have considered the disk needed replacing. Too late for that now.

For another disk there was an alert back in March 2015 that would have given serious cause for concern about that one too.

If you had logged into Frontview you would have seen some alerts regardless of the success/failure in sending email alerts.

It is advisable to backup your data regularly as problems with multiple disks, along with other problems such as fire, flood, theft, accidental file deletion etc. can lead to data loss.

Message 3 of 4
ShepRCS
Aspirant

thanks for the replies

we will see where we get to

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation