× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.1 Update Unusable

Sunfield
Aspirant

6.4.1 Update Unusable

We have a Netgear 102 installed in our office, the curent update 6.4.1 has rendered our NAS unuseable.

System and file access is very slow. Updated files are not showing.

For bisness use this is tatally unacceptable and rendered the NAS to bin food !!

Whats happening to fix this problem ????

Ade

Message 1 of 33
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried disabling the antivirus service?

Message 2 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Yes, i had an app installed. So totally deleated that and disabled the standard one.

No difference accept for slight speed increase

Message 3 of 33
Ray2
Luminary

I had simlar inability to access files on my 314 following 6.4.1 update., Windows 7.

Using Windows Explorer, I could see shares, and even subfolders in the shares, but it wouls tall and not show the files within the subfolders--saying I didn't have access.

Using ReadyNAS softeware, I also could see the shres, the subfolders and even the files, but it refused to allow me to download them.

Having read other posts, I disabled the Antivirus APP AND the built in Antivirus real-time, and ouila'---all is well again.

This SHOULD be fixed!

Message 4 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Not form me, its a total nightmare !

Message 5 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Anyboady have any idea when the new firmware will appear ?

Ade

Message 6 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sunfield wrote:

Anyboady have any idea when the new firmware will appear ?

Next year.

Have you opened a support case?

Message 7 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

How do i open a case ?

Ade

Message 8 of 33
StephenB
Guru

Message 9 of 33
EKroboter
Apprentice

And I thought 6.4.0 was a nightmare. I'm never ever goin to update this damn box anymore. Putting Netgear on my blacklist now.

Message 10 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Trust me, never buying netgear again !

Message 11 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you let me know your case numbers so I can see where your cases are at?

Note also there is the option to downgrade to 6.4.0 from 6.4.1.

Btw the 100 series is designed to be a cost effective solution for use in the home. I would have recommended at least the 300 series for business.

Message 12 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Dont matter if its home or at the office. its still unusable

Message 13 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Do you have a link for the 6.4.0 firmware please?

Message 14 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Sunfield wrote:

Do you have a link for the 6.4.0 firmware please?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938/~/readynas-os-version-6.4.0

Google finds these links very easily with site:netgear.com Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sunfield wrote:

It's quite possible that the higher load from using a unit in the office may be a factor. Still, without your case numbers I can't see where your cases are at and see if there are any additional suggestions that I could make.

Message 16 of 33
Conner
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

@Sunfield wrote:

It's quite possible that the higher load from using a unit in the office may be a factor. Still, without your case numbers I can't see where your cases are at and see if there are any additional suggestions that I could make.

this is utterly insane. You would be justified to say that performance could be impacted if you used a 'consumer' product in an office environment - but to say that crashes/freezes/unstability should be expected is another matter completely. I personally have zero confidence that Netgear will ever get this fixed. I plan on going back to 6.2.x as it was stable for me - and will look for a product from a different company going forward. And I say this as a ReadyNAS user of nearly 10 years.

Message 17 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Conner wrote:

You would be justified to say that performance could be impacted if you used a 'consumer' product in an office environment - but to say that crashes/freezes/unstability should be expected is another matter completely.

I agree it shouldn't crash/freeze no matter what the environment is.

Though I think that you should provide mdgm the case numbers he is asking for, so he can review it for you.

Message 18 of 33
Conner
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Conner wrote:

You would be justified to say that performance could be impacted if you used a 'consumer' product in an office environment - but to say that crashes/freezes/unstability should be expected is another matter completely.

I agree it shouldn't crash/freeze no matter what the environment is.

Though I think that you should provide mdgm the case numbers he is asking for, so he can review it for you.

mdgm was talking to Sunfield.

Message 19 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Conner wrote:

mdgm was talking to Sunfield.

So he was Smiley Embarassed  I should have finished my coffee before I replied.

Message 20 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 21 of 33
AdriFrijters
Tutor

What is a 'support case'?

please i am jus a user in trouble and not having fun with unaccessable files after an update tot 6.4.1.

thanks for helping.

adri.

Message 22 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@AdriFrijters wrote:

What is a 'support case'?

This is a community forum - netgear support is found at support.netgear.com.

If you ask for support there, Netgear creates a support case (which has an assigned number).  You can try email or chat.  Depending on your model and purchase date, there might be a charge.

Message 23 of 33
rajthejaswi
Aspirant

I have gone back and forth with 6.4.0 and 6.4.1 on ReadyNAS 104 (4x2TB WD+Seagate HDDs), and here is the net of my experience: 

# 6.4.0

+ Response time for Samba connections (Windows Explorer) is very good, no issues.

- Is unable to work well with backup to an external USB hard-disk, the NAS just freezes and needs to be restarted by unplugging the power. 

# 6.4.1 or 6.4.2 T59 beta

+ Is able to handle backups to attached USB devices, no issues

- Response to Samba connection is good initially, but gets slower quickly and soon the NAS just freezes when connected from Windows Explorer

When I went back the first time from 6.4.1 to 6.4.0, the NAS switched Disk-4 to Recovery mode, and it took 4 days to recover, and the response for everything was sluggish. So I was very nervous about losing data or going through the agony of another recovery cycle, but just for the sake of confirming it, (and since I managed a full backup to a USB HDD), I switched about 4 times (twice for each version). The issues I mentioned above was consistent. I tried the 6.4.2 beta with the link given in this thread, but the behaviour was similar to that of 6.4.1 for me, made no difference. 

Overall, I would suggest that folks wait for another version to come out, as 6.4.1 really makes the NAS unsuable. Backup is very important, but still is secondary to availability of the device itself. I have switched back to 6.4.0 for now. 

Message 24 of 33
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I haven't had any issues with 6.4.2-59 beta (or 6.4.1) on my RN102 or RN202.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements