× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.1 Update Unusable

Conner
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

You may wish to try 6.4.2 Beta 1: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-4-2-T59-Beta-1/td-p/999457

I was plagued with the 'freeze during copy' issue with my ReadyNAS 104, forcing me to physically pull the plug and then wait thorugh a 72 hour resync when it happened with 6.4.0 and 6.4.1. I installed 6.4.2 - T59 on Saturday and ran some tests. I copied a couple TB to my ReadyNAS - a mix of small, medium, and large files, sometimes solo, sometimes at the same time. After about 36 hours of more or less constant copying to the ReadyNAS - no freezes. It does seem like the copies are slower - however, I didn't document my performance beforehand, so that might not be accurate. At least for my specific situation, this might have fixed my freezing issue. Hopefully it doesn't regress with a future update.

After my current copy completes, I need to run some more tests to see if I can adequately stream video from the ReadyNAS to my TV like I could before upgrading to 6.4.0 - which is the primary purpose of this ReadyNAS. That will be an indication of if performance on the unit is similar to before.

Message 26 of 33
BriBrom
Star

Firmware upgrade 6.4.1 is destroying my business. Am I better off upgrading to 6.4.2 Beta or trying to back out to 6.4.0? Brian

Message 27 of 33
EKroboter
Apprentice

I took a shot and updated to 6.4.1 on our 516. With AV disables and no apps running except for Surveillance, performance seems quite good. I'm getting excellent read/write speeds over GigE, and nos connection dropouts.

NAS speed test

Here's top:

Message 28 of 33
BriBrom
Star

I'll try turning off AV and see what happens. Thanks, Brian

Message 29 of 33
MWIJK
Tutor

It seems that normal users are promoted to beta testers. Netgear shows a very unprofesional and clumsy way of releasing their software. Instead of making software more efficient and solving bugs, they introduce another ones. Even worse: 6.4.1 has become unusable. Yes, mine as well. I cannot understand why they released 6.4.1 and why it takes so long to solve it. 

I downgraded to 6.4.0 which makes it a bit usable again. However, writing documents to disk remains very slow. I am thinking of restoring to factory hoping that performance is restored as well. It is very sad that Netgear leaves their customers unnotified who are searching and struggling for hours with a faulty product.

Martin

Message 30 of 33
BriBrom
Star

Turning off AV seems to have sped things up substantially. This is unfortunate because I like have the additional protection. By the way, Netgear's dreadful tech support earned it the first-ever one-star rating I've given to a product purchased on Amazon. I'm also considering writing to all of Netgear's senior officers. Brian

Message 31 of 33
Ray2
Luminary

You can see my post early in this thread.

I turned AV off a while back (just after the 6.4.1 "upgrade" <sic>) and everything seems to work fine again.

I'm afraid, and frankly don't have the time, to turn it back on to see if by some miracle it works now!

As for putting a beta version on---that's ridiculours--like many others I rely on this NAS for my BIZ !!.

Where is 6.4.2 or better still 6.5 ?? .

Message 32 of 33
Sunfield
Aspirant

Netgear as a company has become a joke over this !

There are so many people angry over the internet

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements