× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding two pre-formatted disks to an existing two disk/4 bay ReadyNAS 104

MrMCH
Follower

Adding two pre-formatted disks to an existing two disk/4 bay ReadyNAS 104

The instructions describe how to add preformatted disks to a diskless system, i.e. perform a factory reset / format but what about adding preformatted disks to an existing system to expand capacity?

I have an existing 2 bay Zyxel NAS which a ReadyNAS 104 has been bought to replace. Two new 4TB disks will be installed in the 104 and after the contents of the Zxyel NAS has been copied to the 104 over the LAN I want to install the two existing 4TB disks from the Zxyel straight into the 104.

Will I just see an option to add them to the existing volume, which I assume will format them in the process or do I have to do something in between removing them from the Zxyel NAS and adding them to the 104, i.e. format the disks in a 3rd party system and if so, format using what file system?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding two pre-formatted disks to an existing two disk/4 bay ReadyNAS 104

You should be able to format them on the RN104.

Though you could of course unformat them (deleting all the partitions, or doing a quick erase with the manufacturer diags).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements