× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Admin page Access Denied

Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

Admin page Access Denied

I am unable to access the admin page of my ReadyNAS NVX.  I change settings the other week to ind the 2 network adapters and since then I am not able to get onto Admin Page through Browser.  Anyone able to offer any help how I can get bak into this.

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Admin page Access Denied

What firmware are you running?

What exactly did you change in the settings??? "ind the 2 network adapters" doesn't make sense to me.

Can you reach the NAS shares?  Or is it only the admin page that is affected?

Message 2 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

Firmware is 4.2.5

Should read 'Bind' the 2 network adapters.  Cant remember which type I selected, it saved and caused access issues at first , so I went back into the settings to deselect the binding and then it was after that that I was then unable to get to the admin page.

I can use NAS as before, but have no access through any browser to Admin page so I cannot do any maintenance or check backups etc.

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Ancient firmware btw (May 2009 release).  I am thinking you should upgrade it.  You might well be running into ancient history bugs.

An OS reinstall would set the IP address to use DHCP and the NAS admin password to "netgear1".  Not sure if that will help, since basic IP connectivity is still intact, but that's what I would try next.  The best instructions are in the hardware manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

Message 4 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

at wipe harddrive and data, and all my existing settings for access, users, backups etc?  Was hoping to avoid that if possible.

Message 5 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install will reset a few settings (mainly things that if configured wrongly will cause you to lose access to the NAS i.e. some network settings and the admin password), but leave most settings and your data intact.

However a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything), so don't do that.

Message 6 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

Great. Sorry my message seems to have lost the start, but you understood.

Roughly how long does it take, need to think about down time?

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

OS reinstalls are pretty quick.  15 minutes would be my guess.

Message 8 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

Did a OS Reinstall, now trying to get back on to setup the way I need it and using new IP address it has from DHCP.  I now still get message that I dont have permission to access / shares on this server.  This is causing me real grief now, as now I cannot get on to configure it for users as it was.

Message 9 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Chunky_Kev,

Can you still access shares when you login using the admin account? Username is admin and password should be netgear1 since you performed OS reinstall.

Regards,

Message 10 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

I can access data stored on Nas through Explorer, but cannot get to admin page or shares through browser.

Message 11 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Chunky_Kev,

Have you already cleared the cache? And use a different web browser or even use a different computer to access the admin page?

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
Chunky_Kev
Aspirant

Done all that, makes no difference.  We now seem to be losing files that were there previously, no idea what is going on anymore and cant get into anything to try and find out. Ready to throw it away and get something that will do the job.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Your firmware is extremely old, which makes the problem hard to sort. Current firmware is 4.2.28, you are back at 4.2.5.

Usually at this point I'd be thinking there's a filling OS partition.  There is a way to telnet into the box, and manually mount the OS partition.  If it is full, you could then clean it.

Netgear could also log in remotely and clean the OS partition if you arranged for per-incident support.

Message 14 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Chunky_Kev,

I just want to add that since you can still access the data stored in your NAS, it would be best to back it up to an external drive as soon as possible.  

You may contact NETGEAR UK Support for further assistance on this hotline number at anytime: 0843-453-8000.  Be reminded that a support contract might be offered to you since your ReadyNAS NVX is already out of support warranty.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements