× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing up Readynas 204 to Readynas NV+

Peter-B
Aspirant

Backing up Readynas 204 to Readynas NV+

I want to back up my Readynas 204 to my Readynas NV+. The 204 is running firmware version 6.3.5. I cannot find a valid combination of destonation host name and share name when creating the backup job. I am using:

host: //nas-F1-85-56/

share: backup/All

I think I have the host name right. I can change it (change // to / for instance) and hit "Test Connection" and receive a "Unable to connect to host" message with error code 707701001. Otherwise I get "Error connecting to folder" with error code 707701020. If I hit the "Next" button, though, the Host label turns red and stays red.

I have confirmed that the share "backup/All exists - I can access it from my Win10 computer. I have share permissions set such that anyone can read/write so no username or password should be required. Specifying the NV+ admin login doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas out there? I will load firmware version 6.4.1 tonight in the off chance this fixes the problem. The release notes do not suggest this directly, at least for a Windows/NAS(Timestamp) backup.

Regards,

Peter

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Peter-B
Aspirant

Re: Backing up Readynas 204 to Readynas NV+

I installed v6.4.1 and changed the host name to the ip address. Rsync backup now runs successfully.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The hostname field should not have any /'s in it.

It could be the name of the NAS or alternately the I.P. address.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Peter-B wrote:

I want to back up my Readynas 204 to my Readynas NV+. The 204 is running firmware version 6.3.5. I cannot find a valid combination of destonation host name and share name when creating the backup job. I am using:

host: //nas-F1-85-56/

Normally you wouldn't put a // at the start of the host name (or / at the end).  If removing the slashes doesn't help, try using the IP address of the NV+ instead of the name.

I'd use rsync for this btw.

Message 3 of 10
Peter-B
Aspirant

Thanks. I was able to successfully set up backups and I switched to rsync as well.

Regards,

Peter

Message 4 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Peter-B,

How was it? Did the backup complete? Also, were the files copied or saved to the destination share?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 10
Peter-B
Aspirant

Thanks for checking. I thought I had it but no such luck. The host name resolved to the wrong ip address even though the "test connection" button resulted in a good result - not sure why. I reset the ip address for the destination backup server to a reserved ip address and retried manually. I got this:

.rsync: failed to connect to nas-F1-85-56 (192.168.0.200): Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(128) [sender=3.1.1]

Progress has been made, though - at least it is trying to connect to the right ip address!

Regards,

Peter

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is an Rsync fix in ReadyNASOS 6.4.2-T59 (Beta 1)

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

There is an Rsync fix in ReadyNASOS 6.4.2-T59 (Beta 1)

Sorry, I forgot about that.  FWIW, I didn't see that bug with 6.4.x, though my OS6 rsync backup jobs have my Pro-6 as the source, not my v1 systems.

Message 8 of 10
Peter-B
Aspirant

I installed v6.4.1 and changed the host name to the ip address. Rsync backup now runs successfully.

Message 9 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Peter-B,

Thanks for the feedback. You may now tag this thread as resolved by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements