× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CPU and Fan upgrades

williams_nest
Aspirant

CPU and Fan upgrades

Hi there,

I'm new here - just wanted to confirm that my current upgrades all worked as planned.

My "old" ReadyNAS PRO 6 bought in 2012 - at first equipped with 6 X 2TByte disks - in 2013 upgraded to 6 X 3Tbyte disks.

Today I have first upgraded the firmware to 4.2.26
Replaced one of the disks with Western Digital RED 6Tbyte - just to test the compatibility
Replaced the system fan with Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Replaced the CPU fan with Noctua NF-R8 PWM
Replaced the processor from Pentium Dual Core E5300 to Xeon X3230 Core 2 Quad Q6700
Replaced the RAM with 2 X 4Gbyte Crucial with heatsink

Only minor problem was the CPU fan - it's approx 1 mm too high - but the side panel can be mounted with just a very little force.

The system and cpu temps are the same - the disk temps are 1-3 degrees (celsius) lower than before.
and the fans have gone from 1125 RPM (System fan) to 953 RPM
and 2057 RPM (CPU fan) to 788 RPM - so it's quiet like whisper -
when transcoding hirez movies the CPU fan goes to about 1400 RPM - still much less than the original outfit at idle.

I had plan on installing a permanent VGA out in the back - but my VGA header cable was too short - I am getting a longer within the next week.

The Q6700 CPU I got on eBay at $75 including shipping (Greenland)
The fans were $20 and $33 and the RAM upgrade was a bargain at $42
The first 6Tbyte disk was ...... $320 - I hope I can make a better deal with the next 5 ones 🙂

Future plans: 5 more 6 Tbyte disks, longer VGA header and maybe upgrading the OS to OS6
Message 1 of 18
Equinox1
Guide

Re: CPU and Fan upgrades

Now, I'm curious about your mods 🙂

Is this system still alive? Nobody had to call the fire department?
About the CPU, what precise model did you use? I looked it up, and the Xeon X3230 and the Core2Quad Q6700 are two different beasts.

And after all this trouble, you're still with 1Gb of RAM?

Did you move on to OS6?
Message 2 of 18
williams_nest
Aspirant

Hi,

Yea - the box works perfectly. I bought the CPU on eBay - it was like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X3230-Core-2-Quad-Q6700-2-67-GHz-Quad-Core-CPU-LGA775-Processor-/221664029813
Now the price has fallen - But - you are right - they have among others different TDP - så I guess it must be the Xeon type after all.
http://ark.intel.com/products/30797/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X3230-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
http://ark.intel.com/products/30790/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6700-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

I have by now upgraded all the disks to 6TByte WD Red and the software is upgraded to OS 6.2.2
The RAM I had already upgraded to 8 Gbyte.

About 10TByte I am using as an iSCSI target for my little VMware vSphere test bench - the rest is for Plex (movies and tv-shows)

I can recommend the upgrade - every penny worth - and no heat problems at all.
Just remember to upgrade the fans as well if you are going to do it.

Best regards
Michael Williams
Message 3 of 18
Equinox1
Guide

Great input, thanks!

Did you get this setup with the stock Fans and Heatsinks?

Did you feel the temperatures were not kept in check by the standard stuff?
Message 4 of 18
williams_nest
Aspirant

As I wrote in the original post - both fans are changed to Noctua versions.
And the temperatures are lower than before the upgrades.
Message 5 of 18
Equinox1
Guide

Thanks, but my question was the opposite direction: would the standard kit suffice to refrigerate the thing?

The Noctua stuff is discontinued and hard to find these days.... 😞
Message 6 of 18
williams_nest
Aspirant

I would not upgrade the CPU to the Quad core without better fans - but thats just me - and besides - not that impossible to get by
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NF-F12-PWM-120x120x25mm-4-Pin-1500-1200rpm-Max-12cm-case-fan-/181682627043
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NF-R8-PWM-Raised-Blade-Low-Noise-SSO-Bearing-80x80x25mm-Fan-/251248926930
And not that expensive 🙂
Message 7 of 18
Labdoc1
Luminary

I upgraded my Pro Pioneer to a quad core and 8 MB ram with the stock fans no problem. Temp of CPU is 30C even under heavy load. First time for me to install a new CPU with Arctic Silver and I used too much. CPU overheated. I cleaned up my thick layer of Arctic Silver and everything is OK. So, for me, that was a more significant issue than the fans

My CPU: Xeon X3230 2.66 GHz 95w. By contrast, a Q6600 is 2.4 GHz and 105w, so might run hotter.
Message 8 of 18
SpaceFire
Aspirant

I am curious would all the components of this upgrade also work on a Pro 4?
- I would love to run OS6 on my Pro 4 (oh yuck ssh client stuff for fan control, I guess that will have to wait until someone kind can make a scripted all in one solution for upgrade and downgrade)
Message 9 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The CPU in the Pro 4 is soldered on. Different memory is used and the fan size is different too.
Message 10 of 18
itsjasper
Luminary

Upgraded my Pro BE CPU from a Core 2 Duo T6700 to a Xeon X3230 Quad Core today.

CPU Temps sit between 33 (idle) and 50 degrees C (load under stress test) with ambient temperature at 19 degrees C. Running stock CPU & rear fans. As it is currently winter here in Australia, I'll be keeping an eye out for temperatures until we are well and truly into the summer months (Jan 2016).

Initial impressions are the OS6 UI and Plex both feel much snappier. Now just awaiting some larger memory to arrive, and then I'll get some VMs stood up. 🙂

Thanks to Michael for the pioneering spirit and for the OP.
Message 11 of 18
Equinox1
Guide

I was wondering "where can he get 19 C of ambient temperature in June?" but you already gave the answer 🙂

Where are you sourcing the memory from, may I ask?
Message 12 of 18
itsjasper
Luminary

Still researching options on memory - either a local reseller or eBay.
Message 13 of 18
sdchew
Aspirant

I too took the plunge and upgrade the RAM (4GBG.Skill) , CPU (Core 2 E7600) and fans (Nocta P8 & P12). All choices were made after looking at the fabulous contributions on this forum.

However, as it's pretty hot out here in Singapore and my NAS doesn't run in an air conditioned room, the system temp hovers between 60-64 C. CPU and hard drives all hover around 36-40 C.

Has anyone considered reversing the direction of cpu fan to exhaust instead of intake?

Thank you
Message 14 of 18
itsjasper
Luminary

Just as a follow up post, with a few 35-40 degrees C days occurring as we enter the summer months, I can report no issues with my setup, just running 5-7 degrees warmer.  The stock fans are holding up fine.

I did try out the Noctua NF-S12A 120mm fan (this is the better-suited Noctua fan to use over the NF-F12A due to the increased airflow and static pressure), but it added another 4 degrees to the reported temps, and that would be pushing things a little further out of my comfort zone, both figuraively as well as in the room!  I was a little perplexed as the Noctua appeared to be far superior on paper than the stock fan, but hey. 

I've recently sold my three ReadyNASes as I came across a couple of 8 bay Synology units at a price too good to refuse (hello, SSD caching!)  However the three new owners have all reported no temperature issues with the units. 

Message 15 of 18
goodrip12
Guide

Hi Labdoc1,

Can you please confirm that you upgraded a Pro Pioneer (RNDP600E) to the Xeon X3230?

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 16 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@goodrip12 wrote:

Can you please confirm that you upgraded a Pro Pioneer (RNDP600E) to the Xeon X3230?

Looks like you did goodrip12. In any case the Pro BE has the same hardware as the Pro Pioneer just a different software feature set on RAIDiator 4.2.x.

Message 17 of 18
goodrip12
Guide

Yes, and it works perfectly, with a bit of help from my friends 😉 Thanks @mdgm-ntgr

Model: ReadyNASRNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements