× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Backup SQL Database to ReadyNas

prcist
Aspirant

Cannot Backup SQL Database to ReadyNas

Hello,

I am trying to backup a SQL database to a ReadyNas model 2120 v.2 firmware 6.2.4.  I created a new Share on the readyNAS and then tried to run a backup from our SQL Server to the new folder. We get this error when we try to run it.

"Backup Failed for server xxxx.  (Microsoft/SqlServer.SmoExtended)

Additional Information:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot open backup device

\\READYNAS\SQLBackup\BackupContainer\IST_Doc_Search\Backup201511119.bak.  Operating system error 5(Access is denied). (Microsoft/SqlServer.Smo)"

From what I understand from what I found online, and I may be way off,  it is a permission/access issue with getting to the folder on the ReadyNAS and the Sql server database engine service account.

Can someone help me setup the correct permissions on the ReadyNas so we can run the backup from the SQL Server and have it backup to the ReadyNAS?

We are running MS SQL Server on a box that is running Windows Server 2012 Standard.

Both the ReadyNAS and the server on the the same network.

Message 1 of 2
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Cannot Backup SQL Database to ReadyNas

Dear Prcist,

Yes, it seems you might have a path issue, exactly how are you doing the backup? What are you using? Are you using the NAS? Are you doing a backup using like Robocopy or something like that?

If you are looking to use the NAS to pull, I would recommend not doing this. If you would like to see more backup solutions that might help in this case please see Backup FAQ

You can also try mapping the network drive this might give you access necessary to the share you are trying to copy too.

AlexPe

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements