× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot set up Alerts on my ReadyNAS RN314

PWS442
Guide

Cannot set up Alerts on my ReadyNAS RN314

Email issues: What are the settings for Yahoo and Gmail for alerts? I am using my correct username/password from each, and an SMTP Server of smtp.att.yahoo.com/smtp.gmail.com, and both use Port 587. My MAC Mail says to use SSL, but when I check the TLS box in the ReadyNAS configuration, I get error code 500801000 when sending a test message; when I leave it unchecked I get 500801001. When I set it up for my BellSouth account, using mail.bellsouth.net on Port 25, no TLS, I do not get an error code, just a message that says "Unable to send a test message".
I also notice that the Configuration Dropdown box only contains Custom, while the NV+ has a few settings: Gmail, AOL; while nothing seem to actually do anything.

BTW: I used to be able to send alerts and test messages from my NV+, but now, although it says it is sending (from my BellSouth account), it does not get through
Message 1 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot set up Alerts on my ReadyNAS RN314

Have you checked your DNS settings?
Message 2 of 21
PWS442
Guide

My DNS setting is what it is supposed to be: 192.168.1.254, my Uverse Gateway/Router. Been having network challenges at home lately. Some things jump to 169.254.xxx.xxx. Cycled Power on my AirPort Time Capsule, and it cleared up. Very strange! Perhaps that is what is wrong with the NV+ alerts, as it seems my Alerts SMTP is set up fine.

Thanks a lot for your help, sincerely.
Message 3 of 21
PWS442
Guide

MDGM: you have my logs from another of my posts. Is there anything in there you can glean as to why I am failing miserably?
Message 4 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On your Mac, open the systemd-journal.log. It should open in the console. Then up the top you can filter the log for "msmtp" (no quotes). You could also look at entries around the ones that show up when you filter the log.

This should give some clues.

Do you have two-factor authentication setup for gmail? If so, you will need to setup an application specific password.
Message 5 of 21
PWS442
Guide

Thank you. Google says I am using the wrong username/password. Hard to believe. I get that for the bell south as well. I will check more closely later. I am also getting "authentication failed" and/or "server does not support authentication".

Will do more digging tonight and over the weekend. Thanks. (I do not have two-factor authentication set up.) I think a lot of the SSL/TLS issues I have read about lately may play into this as well.
Message 6 of 21
PWS442
Guide

Still having problems. Trying so many different combinations. One thing I notice that I cannot do is change the Email Account Provider. The only choice is Custom. Most documentation has a list of choices.
Message 7 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I only see custom as a choice too. Sounds like the documentation you are looking at is out of date or for an older device.
Message 8 of 21
PWS442
Guide

My bet would be out of date. The logs are not showing me any consistency either. My NV+ is not doing alerts these days either (although it does have some custom settings. May I ask what is the current version for the NV+? When I click the Check Update button, I do not get anything back. Just the ability to click it again. (I am set to auto-notification, but I think I got a message a few days ago when I was busy doing other things, and ignored it.)

Thanks for all your help. (BTW: I can now read/write to the 314 USB HDD from every box)
Message 9 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NV+ (v1) runs 4.1.x (and earlier) and the latest firmware is 4.1.14

The NV+ v2 runs 5.3.x and the latest firmware is 5.3.11

Both are mentioned in the Global Announcements for the ReadyNAS forums.

Sounds like you have a network settings issue somewhere. Is the DNS, Gateway etc. set correctly?
Message 10 of 21
PWS442
Guide

I believe they are. They match what I have above, which is on my Mac/PCs/iDevices best I know. I think funny SSL/TLS/Certificate games are going on now.

I will check further into the DNS/Gateway settings as best I can Sunday PM.
Message 11 of 21
Nick_Nandhra
Tutor

Hi,

After sending the last few days trying to get alerts sent to my gmail account to work I finally have.

Within the alerts section I have the following:

Email: this is the gmail email address where you want the alerts sent to (xxx@gmail.com)
Select Automatic
Email Account Provider: Custom
User: The same email address as above
Password: The Password for the account

Within Advance Options:
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
Use TLS: tick.

Now log into your gmail account through your browser.
Select Account and security, from account permissions select access for less secure apps and enable. Make sure you save the settings by clicking DONE.

Now press the send test message, and your alerts should work.

FYI I also have invested in the APC Battery Backup 700va - The NAS drive picked this up without any problems.

Nick.
Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

SMTP Port: 587 also works.

Using the NAS name (instead of your gmail user name) might create some issues with spam prevention measures later on. I'm not saying you should change it, just pointing out the possibility.
Message 13 of 21
PWS442
Guide

Hurray! I think. Got the alert test message via Gmail working as described in the prior couple of posts, using 587 and my email address in the from and marked the TLS. But first, I got another one of those warning messages from Google about unauthorized access blocked (perhaps that is why I received the 5008010001 error code regarding authentication issues). So, against my better wishes, I clicked on the link and allowed "less secure apps so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards."

Not wild about that solution. Wonder what else that invites?
Message 14 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well one option you would have is setting up a dedicated email account for things like this. Then use mail rules etc. to forward the emails from this account onto your main account if you so wish.
Message 15 of 21
PWS442
Guide

So, another Gmail account?
Message 16 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is an option.
Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

PWS442 wrote:
...So, against my better wishes, I clicked on the link and allowed "less secure apps so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards."

Not wild about that solution. Wonder what else that invites?
The new standard they are referring to is OAuth. When you use OAuth, the app doesn't actually know your gmail user credentials - instead it gets a signed token that it can use.

In the case of the NAS (and many apps), you are re-entering your gmail account name/password to the NAS (or app). This requires you to trust the NAS (and the apps) with your credentials. If they all handle your credentials properly, good security is maintained. But of course there's a chance that one might have a security hole...

So the net here is that the newer approach is about reducing the need to enter your credentials in multiple places. It is not saying that the protocols are less secure. Just that the consequence of entering your username/password in multiple places is that security is somewhat reduced, because there are more places where the stored credentials can be compromised.
Message 18 of 21
PWS442
Guide

Thank you very much. I have the RN314 and the NV+ (with its 3 addresses, which I think is quite a nice feature. Hint, hint, hint) working via the Gmail account.
Message 19 of 21
Nick_Nandhra
Tutor

I have done the same, less secure gmail account with rules setup to forward them to outlook.
Message 20 of 21
markhauschild
Aspirant

Thanks, Nick!  That did the trick perfectly.  And actually, what I noticed was that even though my NAS indicated that the emails were not being sent, apparently they are.  I very much like that I now get virus alerts and rebuild alerts.  I lost a disk in my 4x1TB RN104 and I didn't get the alerts. I replaced the disk and it's rebuilding now, but the rebuild is going in another post. Oye!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements