× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Config php, mysql & phpmyadmin for nextcloud

Amaris
Aspirant

Config php, mysql & phpmyadmin for nextcloud

Hi people, 

given all the recent app problems from the past year and owncloud being broken on readynas. I wanted to have some better solution. I am now trying to get nextcloud(owncloud fork) to work using the standard php, mysql and phpmyadmin apps in the readynas appstore. the nextcloud version would be the official stockversion of the nextcloud people. in short, a amp like setup where you have full control over the nextcloud install. 

Now i have found bits and pieces here and there but that does not leave me satisfied nor close to a solution.  So i am turning to the community and readynas pro's to get practical help that gets me to my goal:

get the php, mysql and phpmyadmin to work together so that i can drop the nextcloud in the webfolder (www?) and set it up. 

my setup;
readynas 102 with 6.6.0 firmware 
no futher apps, just the 3 standard mentioned above installed from within the readynas appstore. 
nextcloud version can be found here: https://nextcloud.com/  this serverdownload is what it is, a bunch of php files...

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
Amaris
Aspirant

I have searched some more and came up with a rather brilliant idea. 

Instead of doing everything manually i can use an existing app's environement to set up nextcloud. 

if you grab the 9.1.0 version package of owncloud from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72ias/p6_X2QeOIC

and install it. you have everything needed to run owncloud and nextcloud. 

Just set up owncloud with password and everything.

Then you have this nice migration guide i have found here https://nextcloud.com/migration/

just follow these steps:

The steps are as follows:

• 1. Enable Maintenance Mode with the command line tool
  • 2. Backup existing configuration and database(just copy the config folder)
  • 3. Delete the ownCloud code and extract the Nextcloud code
  • 4. Copy back the configuration file
  • 5. Start the upgrade process 
  • 6. Disable Maintenance Mode

if you dont feel familiar with step 1. you can do the same with this:

You may also put your server into this mode by editing config/config.php.
Change
"maintenance" => false to "maintenance" => true

afterwards, reverse it in step 6.

owncloud 9.1.0 is seamless compatible with nextcloud 10.0.3 wich you can find here: 
https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-10.0.3.zip

After you put back the config file in step 4. nextcloud automatically detects the owncloud settings and proposes a upgrade process. just click the button and let it do its thing. voila. 

nextcloud on readynas

Message 2 of 7
Newsat11
Luminary

I'm not saying your post seems like a shameless plug to try and get people install an app, I'm just sayin... I don't care if it is one way or the other, but your directions for installing the app are needlessly complicated. The ReadyNAS apps already give you the ability to set up a LAMP environment. Installing PHP and MySQL through the apps gives you version of both tools that will run the majority of applications. Any applications that won't run on this setup would require Apache 2.4. After installing both the backend language and the database, all you have to do is manually install for Debian Jessy, which is much simpler than what you just described.

Message 3 of 7
TMK-nas
Initiate

Amaris, I must say that I really appreciate your post.  Though, I have been working with computers and systems for many years I still appreciate detailed instructions.  I too want to run NextCloud on my Readynas and have been looking for instructions.  Thank you.

My question is, what is the source of the deb file that is posted in the DropBox account above?  How can it be verified? Is there an MD5 for it?  I'm sorry for my paranoia, but I don't like installing unknown items on my systems.

Thanks again for your post........

Message 4 of 7
TMK-nas
Initiate

Newsat11, you feel that the above instructions are too complicated.  Would you please post your less complicated instructions to have a fully working installation of NextCloud?  If you could please make them detailed enough for a beginner with ReadyNas to follow, I would (and I'm sure others) would really appreciate it.  I am sincerely looking for the easiest way to install NextCloud and since you are more experienced I hope you can help. Thank you in advance for taking the time to post......

Message 5 of 7
Sandbeast
Initiate

I am highly intrested in getting Nextcloud running on my Netgear NAS as well.  Please any information is much appreciated in getting this to work! I'm not to experinced but would love to see a detailed guide or if someone willing to release an App Package for it I would be very greatful!  Thank you for any info! 

Message 6 of 7
wagb278
Star

If anyone is counting - I just want to add my wish to have an entry in the ReadyNAS app llist that installs NextCloud to the ARM processor available apps.  I run an RN102 at home and would like to have NextCloud available.  The list of apps available for the ReadyNAS is really ;acking.  NetGear should have a tem working to add installable apps to their products.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements