× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo V1 crashed #23954328

AdrianReady
Aspirant

Duo V1 crashed #23954328

Please can someone help,
My ReadyNas Duo V1 crashed yesterday (Sunday) and it has all my holiday and family photos on it for the last ten years.
When I have a single drive in it Raidar sees the unit but not the drives.
The blue light pulses and all the LEDs flash three times quickly then twice slowly.
I have tried the 5 second reboot but no change.

Can some please help me.
Adrian
Message 1 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Duo V1 crashed

What does RAIDar show in the Info (far right) column?

Can you power down the NAS, remove the disks label order and check e.g. SeaGate disks using SeaTools?
Message 2 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Re: Duo V1 crashed

Raidar says 'No disks detected'.
Disk one is a seagate barracuda 7200.11 disk but disk 2 is a samsung and Raidar says the same with that one.
I'll try seatools and post back.

Thanks,
Adrian
Message 3 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Re: Duo V1 crashed #23954328

I have a Startech USB connected drive docking system to my laptop and I have tried both the seagate and samsung drives in that with seatools and neither of them can be found although they do spin up.

Regards,
Adrian
(now I am nearly in tears)
Message 4 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It may not be detected in SeaTools when you hook it up via USB.

It's possible you could have a bad chassis.

Do you another disk you could try in the Duo?

If you purchase e.g. a 312, you could contact support for assistance in recovering your data. Hopefully your disks and array are fine. You do need to be careful to follow the procedure they suggest if you do this (don't put disks in till it is suggested to do so etc.)
Message 5 of 28
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
It may not be detected in SeaTools when you hook it up via USB.
They normally are, I have also done this with a StarTech. Though it is odd that neither is seen.

Windows does need to install a disk driver, perhaps that is failing? It can take a minute or so.
Message 6 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Sorry I don't have a spare disk.
How should I be attaching the drive to use seatools?
I have a desktop running windows 8 so I could hook it up to that internally.
I am desperate to check the data is still there.

I can see a 312 on amazon. Funny I just upgraded my router to a Netgear 6300AC and was looking at maybe a NAS upgrade then.
Maybe it knew 🙂
And thanks for the support here mdgm, very much appreciated.

best regards,
Adrian
Message 7 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Want to confirm the problem is not the disks rather than the chassis.

If the disks are bad or there is a problem with the array then support may not be able to help.
Message 8 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

There is a PC world not far from me so I will go and get a 312 and new drives now.
Back soon.

Regards,
Adrian
Message 9 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Okay I have a new 2TB hard drive and seagate tools recognises that one.

I have put it in the Duo and it is working fine.
Raidar says it is installing.

So what do I do now with the data on the other two drives?

Adrian
Message 10 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like there may be issues with the disks then.

Can you power off the Duo, remove the SeaGate drive and see if the NAS recognises either of the old drives?

If it still doesn't recognise them you might need to consider contacting a 3rd party data recovery service, but note that these can be quite expensive.
Message 11 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Just waiting for it to create the volume on the new drive then I will try that.

Excuse me for being naive but I thought the RAID array was supposed to prevent this?
There were two drives in the Duo, one being a copy of the other I thought, so how come both have failed?

I have seen posts elsewhere about 'ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool' is that worth trying?
Message 12 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it's possible both disks could have failed at the same time or that there could have been some other issue.

Really need to know why the disks are not being detected.

You could try that tool if you want. Would only work for one of the disks though and only works with X-RAID.
Message 13 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

This is interesting.
Just tried what you said with disk 1 and no joy, LEDs still do three quick flashes followed by two slow ones.
To power down I had to remove the power lead.
But with disk 2 on initial startup the top LED flashes three times before going to three quick flashes followed by three slow ones.
Also I was able to shutdown the Duo properly with disk2 but couldn't with disk 1 as I said.

Any suggestions?
Also what would happen if I put the new drive in as disk 1 and then put disk 2 in?
Message 14 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Message on Raidar is now 'Corrupt Root'.
Message 15 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

I have now obtained my third externally stored drive and tried that in seagate tools and the drive checks out fine on the short generic test.
However, when put it in the Duo is fails to boot and again I get the LEDs blinking three long times followed by three short ones.

HELP!!
It has the photo's on of my 3 year old bunny boy before he died in 2012.
Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

That code is bad content on the root partitions (http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324)

Did you try Linux Disk Reader on the PC (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/). It will not work on disk 2 (assuming xraid/raid-1), but it should work on disk 1. It is a freeware app, that runs on Windows.
Message 17 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Yes tried the linux reader and it will read disk 3 but neither of the others.
Any ideas why my offsite backup won't boot in the Duo?
Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

How did you make the backups?

Are you getting anything useful from disk 3?
Message 19 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

It was just a disk from the duo removed to an offsite location in case of a burglary or some such. I think it was a disk 2 but not sure.
Yes it says plenty of files are there but as its 1TB it will take a while to do the lot.

I've just ordered a ReadyNas 312 to replace the duo to see if that will read the drives.
I have put a new disk in the duo and raid says 4.1.13 in the info column but I can't login on the control panel to do a set-up. EDIT: default password worked.
But it can be seen on the network.
Message 20 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Not a recommended method to attempt a backup.

Linux Reader will not see any data files on disk 2, only the OS partition. Data is there, but in an area of the disk that appears unformatted. So hopefully it was disk 1.
Message 21 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

It may have been a disk 1 once as I thought all the raid array disks were interchangeable so I swapped them round every six months or so.
Linux raid recovery does say it can see files but I need to pay to get them back.
Sorry my poor use of the word backup, I didn't mean the Duo backup facility.

A thought, what would happen if I put one of the old drives in with the new one as disk 1?
At this stage I don't think I have anything to lose.

So any idea how much it would cost to recover the data professionally?
Or should I just pay diskinternals and see what that recovers?

Sorry I am desperate.
Message 22 of 28
StephenB
Guru

AdrianReady wrote:
It may have been a disk 1 once as I thought all the raid array disks were interchangeable so I swapped them round every six months or so.
Linux raid recovery does say it can see files but I need to pay to get them back.
Linux Reader is free, you should not be asked to pay if you are using that. Are you sure you downloaded the correct utility? And are you sure you are seeing your data files, and not the OS files?
AdrianReady wrote:
I didn't think you did. But swapping internal drives to make a backup is not a good method.

AdrianReady wrote:
A thought, what would happen if I put one of the old drives in with the new one as disk 1?
Nothing good. It either fails to boot or destroys your data.

AdrianReady wrote:
If you are prepared to pay, start by asking Netgear for a quote.
Message 23 of 28
AdrianReady
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
AdrianReady wrote:
Linux Reader is free, you should not be asked to pay if you are using that. Are you sure you downloaded the correct utility? And are you sure you are seeing your data files, and not the OS files?

For the disk essentials it was the actually recovery of the files they were asking me to pay for, using the Raid Recovery tool.
I'll go and check Linux Reader.... no it won't read the disk and the properties says it is a Disk 2.

StephenB wrote:
AdrianReady wrote:
I didn't think you did. But swapping internal drives to make a backup is not a good method.

StephenB wrote:
AdrianReady wrote:
Nothing good. It either fails to boot or destroys your data.

Okay, thanks. I thought Raid technology was supposed to copy things across seemlessly and automatically.

StephenB wrote:
AdrianReady wrote:
If you are prepared to pay, start by asking Netgear for a quote.

Looks like I will need to go down that route then.
Whatever happens I'm not going to get anything working or recovered tonight.
Message 24 of 28
StephenB
Guru

I haven't heard anything one way or another about diskinternal's paid tool in this forum. If Netgear's price is very high, then you could risk paying for diskinternal's tool first. It should be non-destructive.

AdrianReady wrote:
I thought Raid technology was supposed to copy things across seemlessly and automatically.
Well, you have one disk with a corrupt OS partition, and a second that is either (1) blank or (2) already formatted for the NAS

Scenario (1) - new disk is blank
case 1a - The NAS could potentially decide that it was a new install, since one drive was unformatted and the other not bootable. In that case, the factory install wipes the old drive.
case 1b - The NAS sees the formatted drive, tries to boot and fails - leaving you where you are now.

Scenario (2) - new disk is formatted for the NAS already
case 2a - the NAS treats the old disk as a newly inserted drive, and syncs the old disk to the empty new one. This wipes your data
case 2b - the NAS sees the old disk as formatted, and refuses to sync - again leaving you where you are now.

The outcome you are wanting is that the NAS would reinstall the OS on the old disk (new->old), but sync the data volume in the opposite direction (old->new). That just won't happen.

An OS reinstall might possibly work, but given your strong need to get the data back with minimum risk, I'd start with Netgear support.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements