× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: El capitan and time machine

dmitriivanov
Aspirant

El capitan and time machine

Upgraded iMac to El Capitan and have problems with Time Machine .Backup begins and stops in short time

Message 1 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dmitriivanov,

Welcome to the community!

I believe there are a lot of MAC users who are experiencing problem with Time Machine Backup in the latest OS X version. Can you confirm the model and the Firmware version of your ReadyNAS system? We will further investigate this problem and keep you posted for updates.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 17
Bibbi
Aspirant

I after installlazione el capitan have problems running backups of time machine, the disc is seen but when you try to set it up in the preferences of Time Machine by an error
Time Machine can not access the disk backup "Biagio's timemachine" .Impossibile finish. (OSStatus error 2.)
the nas is a rn10200 with two discs

Message 3 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bibbi,

Were you able to enter the ReadyNAS Time Machine credential when you tried to reconfigure Time Machine backup in your computer?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 17
dhillong
Aspirant

Hi there

Im having same problem with latest OS X Elcapitan. Time machine does not recognise. Did you manage to find a solution?

Best wishes

G

Message 5 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dhillong,

Welcome to the community!

I have tested the Time Machine backup in the latest MAC OS X and it was a success. I did re-enter my ReadyNAS Time Machine credential prior running the backup. Can you confirm if you did the same? Also tell us what is the model and firmware version of your ReadyNAS system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 17
dhillong
Aspirant

Hi Brianl
Thanks for coming back. What do you mean by readyNAS time machine credential. Do you mean readyNAS credentials on time machine? My time machine does not pick up my readyNAS so not sure how I can plug in credentials. Please let me know

Message 7 of 17
dhillong
Aspirant

I've got a readyNAS duo 2110. Firmware 4.14

Message 8 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dhillong,

Thanks for the information that you have provided. Try to toggle off/on the Time Machine service in the ReadyNAS admin page or Frontview then try to scan for it again in your MAC.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 17
dhillong
Aspirant

Tried your suggestion- I'm afraid the problem continues. What shall I do?
Message 10 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dhillong,

Let me try reproduce this and see if we'll have the same problem. I will let you know when I'm done.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 17
bkreid
Tutor

I just bought a new iMac with a 3TB fusion drive. I have a ReadyNAS 316 with OS 6.4.0.

The new computer has 1.7 TB of files on it.

I'm trying to back up the newly-installed system (all 1.7 TB of it) to Time Machine running on that ReadyNAS.

I have no problem connecting, but the progress is so slow it might take 2 weeks to complete.

The network performance graph looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rdx3civ7h7dde4/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%203.36.04pm.png?dl=0

Both devices have a direct connection to a 1GB ethernet; ping times average 0.3 milliseconds.

I'm fresh out of ideas. I'm going to go buy a 2TB USB disk as an emergency backup device, but I'd really love to get Time Machine on the ReadyNAS 316 working. 

Any suggestions?

Message 12 of 17
earroyave
Star

Definitely will be interested in finding out the results here as I am running Mac OS 10.11.1 and attempting to use Time Machine on a ReadyNAS 102 with OS 6.4 on it.  

Prior to the upgrades (last successful backup was on 10/31/2015) everything simply ran beautifully, now I can see the disks when setting up Time Machine but I cannot authenticate on either the private nor the shared disks - and I have created a new user on the ReadyNAS to make sure the credentials were being entered correctly.

Message 13 of 17
bkreid
Tutor

I have no problem authenticating. But I don't do it with any of the users on the Accounts page. I authenticate with the login and password defined on the "Time Machine" tab of the Backup page.

My problem is that once I authenticate it runs too slowly to be useful. In 48 hours it only backed up 6GB. 

My next step will be to erase the Time Machine configuration, delete all of the backup sparsebundles, and try creating it again.

Message 14 of 17
bkreid
Tutor

I had a feeling that my problem was somehow associated with creating a TimeMachine instance and then upgrading the OS to 6.4.0. It felt as though the TimeMachine code in 6.4.0 was a little different.

So I copied what I needed off the ReadyNAS, did a factory reset, set up TimeMachine again, and tried it.

It is now working perfectly. Once the newly-reset RAID array finishes syncing, I fully expect it to run even faster, but post-reset, even during the sync, I'm seeing backup speeds about 25 times as fast as I was seeing before I scorched the earth and started over.

So I'm pretty sure my problem is solved without my entirely understanding what the problem was. I'll take it.

Message 15 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bkreid,

Thanks for sharing the result of your own test. We are still looking on this problem and we'll provide feedback soon.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 17
bkreid
Tutor

After entirely too much testing I've determined that this problem is an issue with my new iMac and not with the new ReadyNAS 316. Other computers have no trouble doing Time Machine backups to the ReadyNAS 316, and my new iMac can't do Time Machine backups to my old Pro 4, which still runs flawlessly and has served as the Time Machine target for many Macs.

So now I get to deal with Apple tech support, which will be a long and tedious process.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements