× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File permissions after RSYNC copy.

ilneill
Apprentice

File permissions after RSYNC copy.

I am in the process of retiring some of my ReadyNAS Duos... yes, they have served me well, but I now have a ReadyNAS204 to replace them and stay current, blah, blah. I like new toys really, but hopefully you get the picture 🙂

Anyway, I have a load of data on the Duos and I have managed to use RSYNC jobs on the Duos to copy it to the 204.

1. I used the 204 GUI to create the share for the migrated data.

2. Then I started the Duo RSYNC jobs to copy the data, creating the folders and files in the migration share folder.

Now I have a migration share that I can r/w file in, but all the folders and files created by RSYNC are R/O. Of-course, I need R/W access to the data. Via SSH I have found that all the RSYNC folders and files have root/root ownership, whereas the migration folder has guest/guest ownership.

In the GUI, in the share settings, file access dialog, there is a permissions reset button. Will this sort my access problem, fixing all the permissions to not be root/root. Or is there a correct/better way to fix problem?

Kind regards,

Ian

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: File permissions after RSYNC copy.

You set user/group on the screen shown below.  I suggest guest/guest if you want fully open shares.

OS6 permissions reset.png

It is possible that the reset itself will reset ownership to guest/guest anyway, but I'd do it first, just to be sure.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ilneill wrote:

In the GUI, in the share settings, file access dialog, there is a permissions reset button. Will this sort my access problem, fixing all the permissions to not be root/root. Or is there a correct/better way to fix problem?

Set the owner/group for the share as desired, and then use the reset button.  That should sort it.

The nobody/guest UID on the duo doesn't match the guest UID on the OS6 systems.  Nogroup doesn't match the guest GID either.  I'm not sure exactly how you ended up with admin ownership, usually you end up with an unknown UID/GID.  

If you want to keep using your duos (perhaps for backup), you can set up a user account/group on both systems with matching UID/GIDs, and reset both systems to use that owner/group.

Message 2 of 5
ilneill
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Set the owner/group for the share as desired, and then use the reset button.  That should sort it.

The nobody/guest UID on the duo doesn't match the guest UID on the OS6 systems.  Nogroup doesn't match the guest GID either.  I'm not sure exactly how you ended up with admin ownership, usually you end up with an unknown UID/GID.  

If you want to keep using your duos (perhaps for backup), you can set up a user account/group on both systems with matching UID/GIDs, and reset both systems to use that owner/group.

In the reset dialog I can only see a reset button, not any way to set what owner/group I desire. That raises another question, what owner/group do I desire? I do not know. What I want is to be able to do is access the share and all the files in is, as controlled by the Username ticks I can assign in the GUI settings for the share.

If I press the reset button, will it simply apply the guest/guest ownership of the share to all the subfolders and files? Will that work for the access I want?

As it happens, I am not intending to keep my Duos in active service. I have 3 for them (5TB of capity total) and I am migrating all the data to my 8TB ReadyNAS 204. 2 out of 3 migrated, and I have just found this issue.

Kind regards,

Ian

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You set user/group on the screen shown below.  I suggest guest/guest if you want fully open shares.

OS6 permissions reset.png

It is possible that the reset itself will reset ownership to guest/guest anyway, but I'd do it first, just to be sure.
Message 4 of 5
ilneill
Apprentice

Thanks StephenB,

I set the share to guest/guest. It was already guest/guest, but I set it to it again, just to be sure. Then I went into the reset screen and pressed the button.

Following that, all the files and subfolders in the entire share were guest/guest and I can access them for R/W via SMB.

Kind regards,

Ian

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements