× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Main User was automatically deleted

DJVan
Aspirant

Main User was automatically deleted

The other day I noticed that my home directory (and the subs) had dissapeared overnight.

The complete folder and all its sub-folders and files no longer show anywhere.

Due to losing the account I had to re-install ReadyCloud in order to check in the web UI.

And as I feared the user and more than 4 TB of data have disappeared.

Below you can see that tis happened at 8:15:59 in the morning ... while I was sleeping.

Wed Jan 25 2017 4:41:16 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_28__00_00_37 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Music.
Wed Jan 25 2017 4:41:09 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_28__00_00_33 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Documents.
Wed Jan 25 2017 4:41:01 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_28__00_00_25 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Backup.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:01:15 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298873 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Videos.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:01:10 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298868 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN readydrop.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:01:05 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298864 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Pictures.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:01:01 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298854 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Music.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:00:50 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298849 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Documents.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:00:42 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485298840 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Backup.
Tue Jan 24 2017 18:13:55 Sistema: Il file di definizione scansione antivirus è stato aggiornato a {defid}.
Tue Jan 24 2017 8:15:59 Account: Utente 'DJVan' eliminato.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:36:40 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_57 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Videos.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:36:30 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_53 dalla condivisione o dal LUN readydrop.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:36:23 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_49 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Pictures.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:36:14 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_42 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Music.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:36:06 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_38 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Documents.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:35:59 Snapshot: Il modulo di eliminazione snapshot ha eliminato lo snapshot 2016_12_27__00_00_31 dalla condivisione o dal LUN Backup.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:39 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212438 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Videos.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:35 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212434 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN readydrop.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:30 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212429 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Pictures.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:25 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212416 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Music.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:13 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212412 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Documents.
Tue Jan 24 2017 0:00:04 Varie: Lo snapshot c_1485212403 è stato creato per la condivisione o il LUN Backup.

Note that I'm the only person using my PC and I do not share the NAS; I use it as a mediaserver (TV, HT etc)

Did anyone ever had this problem?

thanks.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Main User was automatically deleted

Do you have a backup?

Message 2 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

I actualy use the NAS as a kind of a backup for software, pictures and movies.

The NAS works in RAID 5 and I did not consider making backups of what I considered "safe" storage.

Other than the NAS I have a dozen of disks, internal/external, which I use to move, read and write to.

Once I move files to the NAS I consider them backed-up.

If there is some recovery program, it would be great.

Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@DJVan wrote:

Once I move files to the NAS I consider them backed-up.

A backup is a copy on an different device.  Unfortunately RAID is not enough to keep your data safe - many users posting here have also learned that lesson the hard way.

You could try Netgear support (and ask about their data recovery service).  If you can connect the drives to a PC you could also try Reclaime

There is also a guide (which I've never tried) here: http://ram.kossboss.com/btrfs-undelete-undeleting-recovering-accidentally-deleted-a-subvolume-or-fil...

FWIW, I suggest not keeping your data in the home user folder.  If it had been in a share, deleting the account wouldn't have affected it.  

I've posted an idea which (if Netgear had implemented it) would have prevented the deletion of your data.  If you want to vote for it, you click on the big up-arrow in the upper left.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Preserve-user-folder-when-readycloud-acc...

Message 4 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

the main issue was that my main user disapeared ... by itself; and I just wonder why or how it happened.

I suspect that it has something to do with the firmware update I did the day before.

After I've tried to retrieve the data lost I will change to another NAS. Losing data due to stupidity or a hacker I can accept ... but not due to hardware fail.

A HDD will eventually break down, but a NAS should be rather safe having RAID5 with 4 discs; especially if the unit has been used since less than a year.

Message 5 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS has drive redundancy because that is the most vulnerable component.  But if has one motherboard, one SATA backplane, and one power supply, any of which can fail and cause your data to be unaccessable.  Such a failure could also corrupt your data, so even moving the array to another chassis would not fix it.  These are reasons you need a backup.

From the sounds of it, your "main user" was a ReadyCloud account, not a local one.  Did you do anything with ReadyCloud associated with the OS upate?  Like maybe turn it off and back on?  I'm not sure, though, why it would take so long to have an effect.

A question for one of the Netgear employees:  Could this be a consequence of somebody trying and failing to gain access to his ReadyCloud account?  Maybe not an intentional hack, but somebody confused over their user name?  Can somethng bad happen after a number of failed logon attempts?  I certainly hope not.

Message 6 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@DJVan wrote:

... but not due to hardware fail.

Actually I don't think it was a hardware failure.  But figuring out for sure what happened would probably require analysis of the the full log files.

Message 7 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

I agree with the fact that it probably isn't a hardware fail, but I'm quite sure it's a "Netgear" fail

First of all I didn't like the migration from the Readycloud account to the Netgear account.

I think t was done in a messy way; had to do the subscription several times before I got that done.

When I first made the new account it didn't let me in, and the account wasn't found. Retrying, at the end I've sucseeded.

The thing that might have messed up things is the firmware update that was done short time before I notice the home folder had disappeared.

When I noticed that in IE the home folder was gone, I tried to login to the Readycloud UI.

I was hoping that for some reason the folder had been hidden. Obviously I could not get in because the user was canceled.

After consulting the log I saw that the user was acctually deleted that same morning (8:15) ... there is no way someone did that on my PC.

To get into the UI I had to reinstall the OS of the NAS as the user no longer existed. BAD thing no recovery is possible in these cases.

With the new user (Mr Test) the UI showed that the whole Home folder was empty ... gone.

I'm quite convinced that the ReadyNAS is the root of this evil.

I will try to recover as soon as I get the 4x SATA controller, and in any case I will use that with the lose discs (16 tb).

Using the discs just to write my movies to, and read them from there, stress on them is not so much as on the discs that get overwritten al the time.

I partially blame myself as I did not really need a NAS; I just needed disc space for my movies (HT).

The idea was using it in JOBD mode, but I chose RAID5, hoping that that would have been safer.

At the time I cannot use the NAS, and the log files are available to any Netgear employee that wishes to service a customer for free, and proof me that they are not to blame.

Thanks again for your interest and assistance Stephen.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 8 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Your NAS has drive redundancy because that is the most vulnerable component.  But if has one motherboard, one SATA backplane, and one power supply, any of which can fail and cause your data to be unaccessable.  Such a failure could also corrupt your data, so even moving the array to another chassis would not fix it.  These are reasons you need a backup.

I'm well aware of this.

From the sounds of it, your "main user" was a ReadyCloud account, not a local one.  Did you do anything with ReadyCloud associated with the OS upate?  Like maybe turn it off and back on?  I'm not sure, though, why it would take so long to have an effect.

Yes it was a Readycloud User. No OS update was required during the migrition If I remember well. The migration, at least for what concerned the data on my NAS, was flawless. The OS "recovery" (not re-install) was needed to get the internal account (NAS admin) working as the user was deleted; both user were the same.

A question for one of the Netgear employees:  Could this be a consequence of somebody trying and failing to gain access to his ReadyCloud account?  Maybe not an intentional hack, but somebody confused over their user name?  Can somethng bad happen after a number of failed logon attempts?  I certainly hope not.

After the user was deleted (without me knowing it) I could no longer get into the NAS UI, and as solution had to recover the OS to get admin back.

Thanks Sandshark, hope some Netgear geek can come up with a plausible reason.

Message 9 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

@DJVan wrote:

Yes it was a Readycloud User. No OS update was required during the migrition If I remember well. The migration, at least for what concerned the data on my NAS, was flawless. The OS "recovery" (not re-install) was needed to get the internal account (NAS admin) working as the user was deleted; both user were the same.

After the user was deleted (without me knowing it) I could no longer get into the NAS UI, and as solution had to recover the OS to get admin back.

These statements confuse me.  The local admin account is "admin", which is unchangeable, your ReadyCloud account was "DJVan."  How were these the same user? 

I'm not sure why you needed to do a USB recovery and a re-install was not enough -- or did you not try re-install first?  I ask because it could be a clue to anyone looking into this.

So your ReadyCloud account no longer existed once this occurred?  I'd say ReadyCloud sounds like the root of the problem, not the ReadyNAS per se.  I know something similar was reported by a user who accidently deleted his account, so the question is:  why was youe ReadyCloud account deleted?

Message 10 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

Note: I had some power failures a few days before this all happened. So it should not be relevant

These statements confuse me.  The local admin account is "admin", which is unchangeable, your ReadyCloud account was "DJVan."  How were these the same user? 

I did change the internal admin to DJVan. Therefore I had to do the OS recovery, in order to enter with "admin" & "password" (default)

I'm not sure why you needed to do a USB recovery and a re-install was not enough -- or did you not try re-install first?  I ask because it could be a clue to anyone looking into this.

No recovery was made on the NAS (USB), I just had to recover the OS over the web. In this case a download of the OS update worked fine and reset the default password.

During all these events nothing was changed to the contents of the NAS, all remained the same. The missing files remained missing, the folders not in the root/home remained unchanged also.

So your ReadyCloud account no longer existed once this occurred?  I'd say ReadyCloud sounds like the root of the problem, not the ReadyNAS per se.  I know something similar was reported by a user who accidently deleted his account, so the question is:  why was youe ReadyCloud account deleted?

Yes this is the the main question, why did my readycloud account disappear? Who or what has deleted it?

I can send the readynasd.log if needed.

(PS: this forum sucks, autosave failed and I had to login again and re-write my answer ... hmmmm Netgear ghosts?)

Message 11 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

@DJVan wrote:

I did change the internal admin to DJVan. Therefore I had to do the OS recovery, in order to enter with "admin" & "password" (default)

I'm not even sure how you did that.  But having done so, I think you accept any responsibility for what happened.  If you go in and mess with things you should not mess with and something unexpected happens, you cannot place the blame elsewhere.  "admin" is the owner of a lot of things in the NAS.

Message 12 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

Changing the password is reccomended by Netgear, I did it the first day I setup the NAS.

I didn't have any problems for more than 18 months.

In the file "services.config" you will find the line DISALLOW_PASSOWRD_CHANGE=0; which is a standard setting.

The standard config allows to change the password.

I've just followed Netgear instructions, as I'm not a NAS expert.

"admin" and "password" are the default parameters which you need to change.

Message 13 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@DJVan wrote:

Changing the password is reccomended by Netgear, I did it the first day I setup the NAS.

Yes, but there is no supported way to change the admin account name.  That is what @Sandshark was commenting on.

Message 14 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

I do not think that it should be an issue anyway, the manual suggests:

Option 2. Select the Offline Installation (Advanced):

a. Enter admin for the user name, enter password for the
password, and click the OK button.

Note: You can change these credentials when you configure
your system. We recommend that you change your password
as soon as possible.

The ReadyNAS local admin page displays in your browser and
launches a setup wizard.

b. Follow the prompts of the setup wizard to configure your
ReadyNAS system.

The setup process is complete. You can begin using your ReadyNAS
storage system

UNQUOTE

For this reason I could not accept it as a failure from my side.

I'm convinced that the latest firmware update is to blaim.

The only sollution I see is:

Buying a 4x sata controller will permit me to (maybe) recover some files and use the disks (4 x 4tb) as archive and backup; wish I'd done that before, instead of spending my money on the NAS ... which in my opinion cannot be trusted.

Message 15 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@DJVan wrote:

Note: You can change these credentials when you configure
your system. We recommend that you change your password
as soon as possible.

"Change credentials" meant change the password, not the admin username (which can't be done from the web ui).  Though I do take your point that the section in the manual could be clearer.

I agree that the NAS shouldn't automatically delete accounts and the user data in /home.

Message 16 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

"change credentials" is plural, password is not; otherwise they would/should have written "change password" ?

Unless Netgear produces in China and has their manuals written by them also ... but I don't think so.

Both parameters (credentials) are changeable in the UI.

We can discuss about this forever; we can presume and suppose as much as we want, but it will not solve the problem.

The fact is that I've lost data due to some external event (until someone proves me wrong).

The other fact is: if I want Netgear assistance on this matter I will have to pay them an amount of money for which I could buy a new unit.

Stephen, I will follow your advice and try to recover the data ... and retire the useless NAS, and avoid Netgear products in the future,  if I cannot get a decisive answer.

Thanks for assisting.

Message 17 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

So China is the only place where English isn't the primary language?  Wow! 

From YourDictionary.com:

credentials - Computer Definition

A user’s authentication information—typically a password, a token, or a certificate.

Yep, just the password, even though "plural".  I don't use it that way myself, but maybe I'm wrong.  Most also don't properly use the word "data" as plural (I'm one of them, even though I know I'm wrong).  But the semantics of it aren't what matter.

The admin name is changeable in the UI?  Pray tell, please show me where.  I have been using ReadyNAS products since the Infrant days, and that has never been the case.  Many have complained that it gives hackers the first key to the kingdom.  The admin account on certain apps is changeable, but not for the NAS admin account itself.

I think you have no idea what you did or did not do, and now you are trying to place blame on Netgear for a consequence of your actions.  Just because it "happened while you were asleep" does not mean it was not a domino effect from something you did previously.

Message 18 of 28
DJVan
Aspirant

As you kindly pointed out Sandshark, I'm not a NAS guru.

Since I've setup the NAS (according to the manual), about 18 months ago, I did NOT make ANY change.

The only thing I did was moving files to the sub-folders in the \\Home\DJVan folder, and reading from it.

The DJVan folder was created from the start when I made the account, so no structural changes were made since.

Only firmware updates were done (about 6).

Then not so long ago, "while I was asleep" the DJVan folder disappeared, and with it the account.

This I noticed when I looked for my files in IE.

Obvious login with the DJVan account was out of the question ... but also the "admin" acount did not permit me to access the UI.

To regain access to the NAS (Readycloud UI) I've followed the Netgear instructions, recovering the OS, to reset the admin account.

The log files can only be accessed from the Readycloud UI. From the log file I found out that the DJVan user was deleted.

As you can see I did not do anything strange, and most certainly I did not hack anything to change the admin account/user.

Once I've given the data recovery a try, I will setup the NAS from scratch and see what happens.

It might be better to use it as a mediacenter, rather than a trusted backup.

But as I said: the purpose of its use for me was a RAID backup of my files.

Unfortunately I am to blaim for the fact that I moved the files, instead of backing them up.

Message 19 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@DJVan wrote:

most certainly I did not hack anything to change the admin account/user.

Clearly some communication confusion here, since it did sound like you'd changed the admin account's user name instead of just adding a DJVan user.

I agree that account should not have been deleted.

Message 20 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

@DJVan wrote:

Then not so long ago, "while I was asleep" the DJVan folder disappeared, and with it the account.

This I noticed when I looked for my files in IE.

Obvious login with the DJVan account was out of the question ... but also the "admin" acount did not permit me to access the UI.

To regain access to the NAS (Readycloud UI) I've followed the Netgear instructions, recovering the OS, to reset the admin account.

The log files can only be accessed from the Readycloud UI. From the log file I found out that the DJVan user was deleted.

As you can see I did not do anything strange, and most certainly I did not hack anything to change the admin account/user.

You say you recovered the OS.,  I think that maybe you have again misspoken and you did an admin password recovery.  If you really did do an OS recovery from a USB drive, that is not recommended unless specifically directed by Netgear support.  It can hurt more than help when used in the wrong situation.  I don't know if it removes ReadyCloud access, which might result in deletion of a ReadyCloud account on the NAS.  If password recovery didn't work, an OS re-install would be the proper next step to try.

If you did a password reset, it should be in the log.  If you did something more, the log likely would have started over.  But the deletion of the account is in the log, so the log didn't start over after that.

When you could not gain access to the UI with the admin account, what did you see?  Were you unable to do so because you forgot the password, or because is gave an error.  I'm not sure how password recovery would have made a difference if it were something else.  But if it was something else, figure out what that was might help point to the root cause.

One other thing I thought of:  Is the time on the System tab accurate?  If you didn't select the right timezone, your log entries may not reflect actual local time.

Message 21 of 28
jsaganski
Aspirant

This same thing happened to me.  Overnight my user and home directory completely disappeared.  Once I was finally able to get back to the UI I checked the log and indeed the account was deleted overnight.  

As stated, this is completely unacceptable, I can understand failed drives etc.  Now I have lost some very old home movies and pictures.  This data was fine on an older NAS for over 10 years, within a year this one deleted all my files.

Can never trust it again.

Message 22 of 28
thierman
Aspirant

Version 6.6.1.

Interesting... I've been using ReadyNas for years now.... Upgraded to a RN31600 back in 2015... No problems. Till yesterday when the following appeared in the logs:

Thu Mar 30 2017 5:58:01                 Account: User 'xxxxx@somehost.org' was deleted.

Obviously I've blocked out my account details... But yes, why has this happened?  Fortunately I don't appear to have lost any data, but this looks like a security event. I just need to understand what has been compromised, and what I need to do to resecure things.

This looks like a serious issue to me.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 23 of 28
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

We have identified the users that were affected by the ReadyCLOUD outage from March 30th 8AM-12PM Pacific. These users experienced reset Home Folders for ReadyCLOUD user accounts. We will be reaching out to ReadyCLOUD owner accounts via e-mail to follow up to offer assistance.

Message 24 of 28
Cremaprince
Aspirant

woke up today, April fools day and look what happened:

Sat Apr 1 2017 15:48:47
System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Sat Apr 1 2017 15:37:38
System: The system is shutting down.
Thu Mar 30 2017 23:37:49

Account: User 'XXXXX@gmail.com' was deleted.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2210v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements