× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ vers1, not booting, LED 1&3, cannot access boot menu #26278806

Jebross
Aspirant

NV+ vers1, not booting, LED 1&3, cannot access boot menu #26278806

Current firmware was 4.1.14 and the device was working without a hiccup until one day when I got a new UPS and decided to hook them up via USB.  Nothing was recognized upon plugging in the UPS so I shutdown the NAS figuring it might only recognize the UPS on cold start.

Instead of starting, the blue power light flashed for just over 5 seconds and then the LEDs for Drive #1 and #3 came on.  The LCD does nothing and other than the fan running full tilt the machine sits idle.  Completely unresponsive and requires the power to be unplugged to shut it off.

Checked the error codes - apparently I need to restore the OS from USB using the image I downloaded from the NetGear website.

However, I cannot get into the boot menu.

When I follow the instructions and turn on the unit by pressing and holding the power button, after about 7 seconds the machine just does unresponsive with LED #1 and #3 lit.

Tried again with all drives (only using two at the moment) removed.  Exact same thing.

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this fried?  Something I can fix?  Can I get my data?

Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ vers1, not booting, LED 1&3, cannot access boot menu

The boot menu does not need to be working to run USB Boot Recovery: Unofficial ReadyNAS USB Recovery Guide for Sparc-based Systems

Message 2 of 9
Jebross
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  The instructions in the unofficial guide link provided (thank you, btw, the links provided on the Net Gear support pages are all dead links) match what I was trying to do, holding down the power button when starting the NAS.  I did not get the hard drive LEDs blinking at 5 second intervals - all I got was a steady drive 1 and 3 LED.

I am not sure how else to trigger the USB boot restore....

Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried plugging the NAS directly into the wall outlet and using a different power cable to see if either of those makes any difference?

Message 4 of 9
Jebross
Aspirant

Yes, I have removed the UPS from the equation and plugged it somewhere entirely different.

Also re-seated the memory module and blew out any excess dust.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ vers1, not booting, LED 1&3, cannot access boot menu #26278806

Any burnt smell?

I see multiple possibilities here:

1. Failing PSU

2. Failing memory (RAM)

3. Problem with the internal flash

There may be more.

I gather from what you have said that you have no backup.

Do you recall whether you were using X-RAID or Flex-RAID and if you were using Flex-RAID which RAID level you were using?

Now you could try doign something about #1 or #2 if you like, but if the problem is something else it will not fix it.

There is a procedure for recovering data from an X-RAID array using an ordinary x86 Linux PC

Also, our support can attempt to recover your data regardless of what RAID mode you were using if you purchase that if you get one of our new units e.g. the RN314. You do need to make sure that you wait for support's instructions if you do this as there is a special process that needs to be followed. Also, you should have somewhere on hand to backup the data to e.g. a USB drive.

Note any data recovery we do is software based only. We don't do physical repairs to disks.

Message 6 of 9
Jebross
Aspirant

No burnt smell at all.

One of the reasons I was installing a new UPS was that I found my backup device was not resotred properly after a power failure, so I have no recent backups.

FYI: My serial number does not fall in the range of those with the overheating PSU problems.

I might try the memory module if I find one locally at a cheap price.

As far as my raid setup - I was only using two disks in the unit, so I am not sure what it would have done.  I do not believe I changed the default, whatever that was.

I do run a Linux workstation, altough it is 64 bit.  Was your mention of X86 meant to imply that I need a 32 bit Linux version to get data access?  Is there a writeup somewhere on this?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Jebross wrote:

I do run a Linux workstation, altough it is 64 bit.  Was your mention of X86 meant to imply that I need a 32 bit Linux version to get data access?  Is there a writeup somewhere on this?

No, it was just meaning to specify intel. There is a guide out there, but dbott's server is not available.  Here's a cut/paste from this forum:

Simple step by step guide to mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux:
Tested on brand new install of Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit x86), no other dependencies- 23rd Jan 2011
In a terminal window:

(1) sudo su
(2) apt-get install fuseext2
(3) apt-get install lvm2
(4) modprobe fuse
(5) vgscan
(6) vgchange -ay c
6.5 mkdir /tmp/nas-drive
(7) fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /tmp/nas-drive

You should now be able to see the mounted files in the /tmp/nas-drive directory

(NB: Without the “-o sync_read” option to fuseext2 I had problems with copying large files. It kept saying the source file wasn’t found. After adding this option everything worked fine).
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Assuming you were using X-RAID one of the two disks would be a dedicated parity disk. The dedicated parity disk has no partition table and may appear to you to be blank but it isn't.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements