× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6 Upgraded ReadyNAS 3200 Rackmount - USB NOT WORKING

smc
Aspirant
Aspirant

OS6 Upgraded ReadyNAS 3200 Rackmount - USB NOT WORKING

So, I've upgraded several ReadyNAS units of various makes and models and so far, so good. However, I have a rackmounted 3200 system that has been upgraded, but will not recognize a thumb drive inserted in the back side USB port (either port). I've tried several approaches, including restating with the thumb drive installed. I've reinstalled the upgrade. The light on the thumb drive blinks fast when I first install it, then it just stops blinking after several seconds.

The main reason I've installed the upgrade is that I need to encrypt the volume, which requires the thumb drive. The "box" style ReadyNAS unit seemed to work okay. This one is giving me headaches.

I realize it's not a supported upgrade, but I need to find a way to get it working.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Scott

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: OS6 Upgraded ReadyNAS 3200 Rackmount - USB NOT WORKING

I suspect the system is looking for some hard coded paths when looking for USB keys holding the encryption key and these aren't defined for the 3200 on OS6.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello smc,

I would like to ask questions I listed below:

• What was the previous firmware version?
  • What is the current firmware version?
  • What is the file system format of the thumb drive?
  • Have you tried another usb disk?
  • Are you still able to access the thumb drive when you plug it straight to a computer?

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
smc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry. I should have provided more details.

Was running 4.2.?? (can't recall the minor version number)

Is now running 6.4.1

I have another 3200 (but it's a V1 - not sure if that matters) and the thumb drive works fine. I must admit that I've never used a thumb drive on the system in question. Never had a reason.

I've tried multiple thumb drives. The thumb drives I've tried work just fine on my windows PC and in other ReadyNAS units. Just odd that it's not seeeing the USB drives. Wondering if I need to enable the USB ports or something odd in OS6. But I don't see anything like that in the OS6 configuration.

Wondering if I should re-install the 4.2 firmware and see if the USB ports are working under that version. Maybe it's a hardware issue??

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello smc,

If you don't have any important data stored to the NAS volume, you may try factory reset and see if you the same USB ports not detecting drives problem. In case you get the same results, maybe you can load the old firmware it came with so you can isolate the problem if it is a hardware side.

If you are getting the same problem using the previous FW, contact support center. Could be a hardware issue if that is case.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
smc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since I haven't put it into use yet, I'm pretty flexible in terms of options. I did do the "Perform Factory Default", but it just reinstalled OS6 with all of the configuration settings cleared. Then, I tried the "Install Firmware" approach (with v4.2.28) but it said it wasn't a valid operating system file.

It's a rackmount, but I've connected a monitor and keyboard and it lets me log in, but I'm not sure what to do from there. Is there a way to "force" it back to an earlier version?? Maybe a boot option??

Open to ideas.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you want to try downgrading to 4.2.x, there is a thread here that describes how: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Downgrade-to-RAIDiator-x86-from-ReadyNAS-OS-notsu...

Message 6 of 9
smc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. That's helpful info. My initial thought was to go back to 4.2 in order to determine if the USB ports are actually working. However, in the process of trying to downgrade the rackmount unit, I had to connect a monitor to the VGA port on the back of the unit, along with a USB keyboard. And the keyboard WORKS! So, the USB ports are definitely working. I've tried several thumb drives and I've even reformated one of them to simple FAT. No luck.

As much as I'd love to encrypt this unit, I don't think OS6 is going to handle a thumb drive on this unit. No idea why. It's actually newer than come of the "box-style" ReadyNAS units where encryption is working just fine. Very disappointing. I'd love to encrypt the volume, but without the USB storage capability, I don't have a way to store the encryption key, which is required.

I was hoping there might be an alternative, like and "Add-on" encryption tool, but no dice.

I might give it one more try by downgrading and then re-upgrading. Who knows, maybe something went nutty on the install.

Thanks for the help folks. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open.

SMC

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suspect the system is looking for some hard coded paths when looking for USB keys holding the encryption key and these aren't defined for the 3200 on OS6.

Message 8 of 9
smc
Aspirant
Aspirant

DRAT... I was afraid that might be the case! Too bad there isn't an Add-On with an encryption option... or even a "backup" add-on with an encryption option. I'll have to live with an un-encrypted volume and do the encryption off-line.

Appreciate the help from everyone.

Happy Holidays,

SMC

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements