× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ohhh ReadyNas

ripek
Aspirant

Ohhh ReadyNas

Hi there.

Rarely do I have the need to express myself like this. But I'm on the verge. 

HERE GOES: 

I've never ever bought soo flustrating and PITA piece of tech than ReadyNAS. 

In 2012 I have bought RND4000 which was a complete nightmare with transfers close to 0. It was replaced with RND 104 under warranty.

Since then I was never using it really except uploading some pictures and videos for long storage.

Why? This thing is slow. I mean GLACIER SLOW! 

It's impossible to use it as a drive to edit documents or for daily access. 

Reading the bloody directory takes several seconds (SMB).

There are almost no software plugins for this thing. Look at the competition. Dozens of apps. 

Now Readynas says I have a failed disk it doesn't see anymore.

Tue Oct 6 2015 22:15:21 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46788] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 622 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 15:11:55 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46644] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 621 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 15:09:56 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46572] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 620 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 15:07:55 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46500] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 619 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 15:03:36 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46428] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 618 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 15:01:36 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46356] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 617 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 14:59:26 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46284] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 616 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Mon Oct 5 2015 14:57:16 Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [46212] on disk 1 (Internal) [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0, WD-WMC1T1178010] 615 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

When I plug it it to my PC - HDtune or HardDisk sentinel says it's in perfect shape. 

Firmware 6.4.1

:((((

Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ohhh ReadyNas

@ripek wrote:

When I plug it it to my PC - HDtune or HardDisk sentinel says it's in perfect shape. 

Something is definitely wrong.  I have these disks in my RN102 (running 6.4.2 beta at the moment), and I am not seeing rising counts on mine.  Try testing with WDC lifeguard.

A failing SATA controller/bus in the NAS could cause ATA errors.  See this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19392/~/ata-errors-increasing-on-disk(s)-in-readynas

The link doesn't mention the failing controller possibility, but it takes two to tango (the controller and disk).

FWIW, the disk issue is likely related to the poor performance.

Message 2 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

WD software only works on drives mounted inside PC. Doesn't detect my drive as it's connected via USB.

Here is a picture of my PC screen. 

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

Message 3 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

I've swapped the disk from bay 1 to bay 4 and now he is recovering the data. Always fun to look at that 0.00%. Blazing fast every time. I've done it several times already. 

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I have used lifeguard with a USB adapter - it might depend the adapter...

Anyway, ATA errors are detected in the NAS (SATA controller timeouts), and usually there is nothing in the the SMART stats.  If you can isolate the problem to a specific slot, then you'd have a good case for a NAS RMA.  On the other hand, if you can isolate it to the specific drive, then you have a case for a disk RMA (from WDC).

Message 5 of 13
cpu8088
Virtuoso

if hard drives not inserted properly into the bays poor contacts of sata sockets may generate ata errors.  the readynas alert is just a warning. not to concern unless the numbers increasing rapidly. 

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

if hard drives not inserted properly into the bays poor contacts of sata sockets may generate ata errors.  the readynas alert is just a warning. not to concern unless the numbers increasing rapidly. 

I agree that poor contact is a possible cause.  

As you might have seen in the first post, his ATA count is quite high (46788 total, and at least 20 per day over the past month).  Plus he is seeing issues that are consistent with disk failure.

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Assuming the RND4000 was a NV+ v1, this was a unit that uses the same CPU and RAM as a product that was released back in February 2006. 

If it was the NV+ v2 it was released late 2011, it was still a cost effective storage solution.

The RN104 is a cost effective storage solution in our current range.

On both the ReadyNAS models you have had it wouldn't be advisable to run lots of apps, but rather just the few you want. If you want to run lots of apps at once then you'd be better off looking at the 200 series and above.

There are lots of apps available at places like apps.readynas.com, rnxtras.com etc.

How many files are in your directory that is taking several seconds to read? Which OS are you running on your client machine (e.g. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)?

I would like to look at your logs to see if there are other things (than the disk issue) that may explain the poor performance you are referring to.

Note that if you use the anti-virus service you may wish to disable this for now. There is a known performance problem related to the use of AV at the moment.

Message 8 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

Nas is recovering third HDD from two 3TB drives at raid 1 at 80% full. Started yesterday at 10p.m and now it's 9 a.m and it's 21.31% done. Is this even normal?!
Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ripek wrote:
Nas is recovering third HDD from two 3TB drives at raid 1 at 80% full. Started yesterday at 10p.m and now it's 9 a.m and it's 21.31% done. Is this even normal?!

It is slow.  Since this was originally a 3 disk volume, you are running degraded RAID-5, not RAID-1.  Every sector on the two remaining drives needs to be read; then the corresponding sector on the third disk is reconstructed and then written.  Volume fullness doesn't matter, this is done sector by sector (RAID creates a virtual volume, the file system lives on top of that).

But I'd expect something closer to 24 hours than 60.

If you have ReadyDLNA running, disable it temporarily.  The resync is a low-priority task, and anything that uses the disks will interrupt it. 

Message 10 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

Just looked at it and 51% progress. OMG.

image.png

Message 11 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

Readydlna off and 22 remaining hours cut to 19 hours.

Message 12 of 13
ripek
Aspirant

Just installed synology ds215 and it just ... %#*{] WORKS!!! 

What a difference in experience quality. 

I am happy 🙂

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements