× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem Accessing Folder Share from Admin Panel

StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem Accessing Folder Share from Admin Panel

@T1968 wrote:

hi StephenB,

Another observation: when I create this new user, in the nas I cannot see a home folder created for this new user. Also in windows explorer it doesn't show up at all.

The home folder isn't created until the first time someone logs into the user account.  

@T1968 wrote:

Please look into the fw upgrade, as my problems coincided with the upgrade to 6.4.1

I'm don't work for Netgear, so I don't have systems for troubleshooting (and really don't have time for that anyway).  My access appears to working ok with 6.4.1.

I actually don't use the home folders myself - I keep everything in shares.

Message 26 of 29
T1968
Aspirant

hi StephenB,

Thanks a lot for your help so far! I'm beginning to understand a little more about how a nas actually works.

I can understand why you don't use home folders but shares in stead.

Do you think it might be possible to move files directly on the nas from the home folder to a share, followed by changing the ownership? I've read Linux for dummies a long time ago and wonder whether the chown command might be useful?

In Windows change of ownership can be made for a complete folder and all of it's contents, maybe this could work on a Linux based file system as well.

Kind regards,

Theo

Message 27 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@T1968 wrote:

Do you think it might be possible to move files directly on the nas from the home folder to a share, followed by changing the ownership? I've read Linux for dummies a long time ago and wonder whether the chown command might be useful?

You can move them using the admin mount, though the transfer goes through the PC over the network.

ssh is available under services.  If you enable it, you connect to the NAS using something like putty or winscp (I use putty), and log in as "root" with the NAS admin password.  That gives you the linux CLI interface.  There are support implications - if Netgear believes your use of ssh created your problem, they reserve the right to deny support.

Each share (and the home folders) are set up as a btrfs subvolume.  So moving the files between shares will actually do a copy/delete.

If there is a lot of data, a faster way is to copy the files to their new location, using the --reflink option on the cp command.  Then delete them from the original location.  BTRFS is a CoW (copy-on-write) file system, and the --reflink writes new metadata, but shares the datablocks in the original file.  That's the same mechanism the snapshots use btw.

On changing ownership/permissions - there is also a "reset' control in the share settings for file access that will reset them to the defaults.  Right-clicking in Windows certainly lets you change permissions.  Ownership is a bit tricker, since the NAS and Windows accounts are different.

Message 28 of 29
T1968
Aspirant

Thanks a lot StephenB!

I'm going to move the data via windows and won't use any home folders in the future. Creating different shares in Explorer is possible that way and the recent experience has not given me a good feeling where user accounts are concerned. 

Again, many thanks for your help!

Kind regards, 

Theo

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements