× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 516 available space?

everytime
Guide

RN 516 available space?

I have a 516 with four 4TB drives. It’s set up in RAID 5 (one X-RAID volume). Up until a couple of months ago, there were 5 shares.

I recently added a new share and copied over about a 1.2 TB of files (several hundred 1-4GB each) from an external drive connected to a Mac.

I’ve been going through the files on the new share on the ReadyNAS and determining where to put them on the existing 5 shares. After copying the files onto the new share, the file system on the NAS and on my Mac (Finder) showed that there was about 6.8 TB free.

I’ve copied about 600 GB from the new share onto the existing shares and then deleted them from the new share. I also simply deleted about 600 GB from the new share. It seems that I should have somewhat more space than when I started, say about 7.3 TB free, but instead it’s showing 5.75 TB free. It’s as though they were not deleted.

What I can’t figure out is, after deleting almost all of the files on the new share (There are less then 90GB on it.), why has my total available space diminished to 5.75 TB?

Also, when I hover my mouse over the horizontal bar chart on the Shares page of the admin screen it’s showing:

3.59 TB Data

2.08 TB Snapshots

5.23 TB Free

It seems like a lot of space is being used for Snapshots. No? Is there a way to decrease that?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If a file is in a snapshot and in the current data you would need to delete the snapshot containing the data as well to free up the space.

The oldest automatic snapshots will be automatically deleted when volume usage exceeds 95% but you can delete some earlier if you want using the web admin UI.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If a file is in a snapshot and in the current data you would need to delete the snapshot containing the data as well to free up the space.

The oldest automatic snapshots will be automatically deleted when volume usage exceeds 95% but you can delete some earlier if you want using the web admin UI.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Alsp, 6.5 beta offers some nice options for snapshot retention (allowing you to limit the number of snapshots for each share, or set a retention time limit for each share).

Message 3 of 4
everytime
Guide

Thank you all for your replies. I deleted all but one of the snapshots and have freed up quite a bit of space, the amount I was expecting.

This was a learning experience for me so thanks again for your help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements