× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Add disk without RAID - help required

mbw_nl
Aspirant

RN102 Add disk without RAID - help required

I have a RN102 running with a 3TB drive. Yesterday I added a second 3TB disc and of course with X raid it has copied the first and does not give me extra storage. Both discs are installed and sync has occured.

I don't want or need protection and would (now) like to double to storage to 6TB (less what is required by OS6) rather than have a protected 3TB system

I realise I now have to change XRaid to Flex-Raid and 'create a new volume' - however being a complete newbie am worried that I may delete all my data.

I need a step by step 'dummie's' guide on how to do this. Can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 Add disk without RAID - help required

@mbw_nl wrote:
 I realise I now have to change XRaid to Flex-Raid and 'create a new volume' - however being a complete newbie am worried that I may delete all my data.

Although you could have done this w/o data loss before, unfortunately you will need to destroy your data to make this change.  Flexraid won't let you downgrade from raid-1 to jbod.   Also it is best to have two volumes (e.g., jbod configuration) and not one 6 TB volume.  If you use a single RAID-0 volume, when either disk fails the entire volume is lost.

-back up data

-uninstall apps

-switch to flexraid

-destroy the current volume

-create two new ones, one on each disk.  Call the first one data

-reconfigures share (some on each volume)

-reinstall apps

-restore data.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements