× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 extreemly slow data speed

Robvoorwinden
Aspirant

RN104 extreemly slow data speed

Hi there!

I installed ny Netgear RN104 with 2 disks (room for 2 more) in my network (all cables, no wifi) to my iMac (OS 10.7.5).

It works - sort of: the data transfer is extreemly slow, it would take 6 days (!) to transfer a 125 gig file.

I Installed the latest firmware on my RN104 (6.4.1), but that didn't help.

The RN104 formatted the (new) disk (that are in a raid): one AFP, one SMB. Could that be te problem?

Any (other) suggestions: welcome!

Rob

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 extreemly slow data speed

You should be seeing much faster speeds,

@Robvoorwinden wrote:
 The RN104 formatted the (new) disk (that are in a raid): one AFP, one SMB. Could that be te problem?

You are confusing network protocols with disk formatting.  The entire RN104 data volume (e.g. the RAID array) uses the btrfs file system.

AFP and SMB are ways to access network shares on the NAS.  Both work with your mac.  Have you measured speed using both of these ways (SMB should show up as smb: in finder)?

Also, have you tried turning the antivirus service off?

You do have 90 day installation support, so you could call netgear (support.netgear.com).

Message 2 of 8
Robvoorwinden
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for answering

>Have you measured speed using both of these ways (SMB should show up as smb: in finder)?

In the finder I get three icons:

- readynas

- ReadyNAS (AFP)

- ReadyNAS (SMB) 

If I copy a file to one of the disks (?), it will show up also in the two other disks (?).

Could one of this 'disks' be the ReacyCLOUD? That would explain the slow data-transfer (my upload-speed to the internet is very low).

If so, how do I turn it off?

>Also, have you tried turning the antivirus service off?

Yes, it's off. 

Thanks again!

regards,

Rob

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Robvoorwinden wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for answering

>Have you measured speed using both of these ways (SMB should show up as smb: in finder)?

In the finder I get three icons:

- readynas

- ReadyNAS (AFP)

- ReadyNAS (SMB) 

If I copy a file to one of the disks (?), it will show up also in the two other disks (?).

None of these are "disks", and none of them are "readycloud" either.

The first one is for Time Machine.

AFP:  Apple File Protocol, and SMB: Server Message Block Protocol.  Both are ways to access shares - that is all.You can enable both AFP and SMB for the same share.  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20901/~/accessing-the-readynas-from-apple-os-x

Try accessing via SMB and time the transfer speed.

Message 4 of 8
barryd
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi barryd,

The problem might be related to SMB performance issue when AV is enabled. Let's wait for OPs response and see what the real problem is.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
sck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm getting something like this & my 104 (6.2.5 with 4x Seagate 4Gb disks - Raid5 - about 3.5 Tb used) is six feet away from this Mac Mini (OSX 10.9.5) on a Gb network

Really annoying.

It seems to cache previously opened folders  & show directory , but very very slow to open new ones.

Also disconnects oddly & intermittently from all our Macs

Although all outgoing from the 104 is fine

Trying to do some library work, filing, tidying is hopeless!

I'll have to copy the data to another disk & rearrange then copy back.....So, not so good Netgear

Any possible ideas or fixes please?

Simon

Message 7 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sck,

Welcome to the community!

Your problem is slightly different from the OP. You can open another thread and prepare a current copy of your device logs.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements