× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 has 3 1tb drives, but only 1tb of usable same

nathangs
Aspirant

RN104 has 3 1tb drives, but only 1tb of usable same

Based on the space calculator tool I expect to have 2 gb? Restarting the machine makes the drive green for a while but eventually it goes back off again.  I've tried pulling and reinserting the drive while it was powered on.  I initially started with the 2 1 terabyte drives earlier this week, and added another 1 tb drive a couple days after but I haven't been able to get it to expand with more space yet.

After rebooting, it will resync for a while then the third drive will go gray again:

I can provide logs, but I'm not sure if there is any personally identfiable info in them?  Anyone know if they are safe to post publicy to a site like mediafire? 

I do have some experience with linux systems, and I may be able to do some further debugging later this weekend once I figure out how to get ssh access to the system.

Thanks to anyone who spends time helping me with this!!

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 has 3 1tb drives, but only 1tb of usable same

You email logs directly to netgear - see the instructions here for the address: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543/~/how-do-i-send-all-logs-to-a-readynas-community...

Your NAS is using triple RAID-1 - which is it not supposed to do when using XRAID (which you are).

Message 2 of 6
nathangs
Aspirant

thank you @StephenB

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a backup?

One of your existing disks has an increasing ATA error count. That may be why the disk failed to be added to the array.

Message 4 of 6
nathangs
Aspirant

Currently backing everything up to the seagate drive now.  Going to buy a couple larger drives and try again.

Message 5 of 6
nathangs
Aspirant

I factory reset the nas after backing everything up.  Afterward, it detected and synced correctly, adding another terabyte to my total storage.    

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements