× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 Eminent fan failure?

jplee3
Apprentice

RN204 Eminent fan failure?

Hi all,

I'm getting this notice in /var/log/messages on my ReadyNAS RN204:

"Setting EDA fan 15 failed - deferring"

I tried switching fan modes and saw this after switching to Quiet mode:

"Setting EDA fan 8 failed - deferring"

Switching to the other modes the "15" code comes back

Does anyone know what this means? Is the fan about to fail or something?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN204 Eminent fan failure?

That sounds like an error in the OS.  While a NAS that can use an EDA2000 or EDA4000 can set the fan speed in them, there is no similar capability on an EDA500.  I retired my EDA500 and other eSATA expansions some time ago, and that error must have come into play sometime after I did so.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
jplee3
Apprentice

So I think I realized what this message is. It started popping up after I connected the Mediasonic Probox 4-bay disk enclosure. What I noticed in "Volumes" is that the Netgear seems to think this is a Netgear EDA500 enclosure (when it's not). My guess is that this alert is coming up because the ReadyNAS daemon is attempting to set the fan speed of the Mediasonic but can't since the Mediasonic's control mechanism is different, thus the error message.

I wonder if there's a conf for the ReadyNAS daemon that can be changed to disable the external device fan control

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

A ReadyNAS has no capability of setting the fan speed in an EDA500, so that's not the issue.  It's also not unusual for the NAS to think your non-Netgear eSATA chassis is an EDA500.  Be aware that it might have the drive order backwards (good to know if it reports a disk issue). 

I'm not sure how the NAS would know the fan setting didn't "take" if it's the fan itself, unless it completely stopped.  So, I fear it's associated with the fan speed controller.

Message 3 of 7
jplee3
Apprentice

That's odd because I noticed that message popping up only after connecting the Mediasonic box. I guess the real test would be to disconnect it and see what happens and if the message persists or goes away.

I'm still able to change the fan speed on the RN204 itself btw. Of course, I haven't really checked the unit itself to see if the fan is actually blowing faster vs slower. I guess I'll take a look at all this now, including disconnecting the Mediasonic array.

Message 4 of 7
jplee3
Apprentice

So I'm pretty sure the Mediasonic box being connected to the RN204 is what is causing the "Setting EDA fan 15 failed" message to pop-up. 

I powered everything off and only powered the RN204 back up. Checked kern.log and the message didn't appear at all for the entire time I had the unit up without the Mediasonic connected (this was probably a period of 10-15 minutes or so). These "Setting EDA fan" messages would pop-up every couple of minutes btw.

I powered the Mediasonic back on and rebooted everything and now the message is back up.

So it seems there's some process within readynasd on the RN that is attemping to send a fan control setting message to what it *thinks* is the EDA and it's obviously failing since it's not actually an EDA that's connected.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

That sounds like an error in the OS.  While a NAS that can use an EDA2000 or EDA4000 can set the fan speed in them, there is no similar capability on an EDA500.  I retired my EDA500 and other eSATA expansions some time ago, and that error must have come into play sometime after I did so.

Message 6 of 7
jplee3
Apprentice

Yea, maybe they changed something... in either case, the error is still propogating. I wish there was a way to silence it but I don't think there will be a very easy solution to this, especially now that these units are EOL

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements