× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120 6.4.0 upgrade 4 1TB drives to 4 3TB drives

sjf1
Aspirant

RN2120 6.4.0 upgrade 4 1TB drives to 4 3TB drives

Running X-RAID 5

I've upgraded the original 1TB drives in my 2120 to 3TB drives (one at a time, of course). Seemed to have a glitch with the final drive. Sequence of upgrade was...

1) Remove drive 1 -- system becomes 'degraded'

2) Insert 3TB drive in slot 1 -- resync starts (after deleting volumes on, or reformating the new drive)

3) About 6 hours later the "Volume data is resynced", and Health changes from Degraded to Redundant. There is no appreciable increase in available disk space. (Not a surprise.)

4) Remove drive 2 -- system goes from redundant to degraded

5) Insert 3TB drive in slot 2 -- resync starts (after deleting volumes on, or reformating the new drive)

6) About 6 hours later the "Volume data is resynced", and Health changes from Degraded to Redundant.

7) Immediately thereafter, "Resyncing started for Volume Data". This WAS a surprise -- a second resync cycle?

😎 About 6 hours later, the "Volume data is resynced."

At this point, the total available storage has been increased from 2.63TB to 4.43TB

9) Repeat steps 4-8 on slot 3 (second resync takes about 18 hours!)

At this point, the total available storage has been increased from 4.43TB to 6.25TB

10 Repeat steps 4-6 above on slot 4

The second resync does not start, Total available space still at 6.25TB. Status on the overview page shows "Healthy", not "Redundant". HTTP response seems sluggish. I SSH in, 'top' shows not much happening, all disks status leds are quiet, activity leds quiet. Eventually SSH stops logging in (get banner but no prompt) and Admin page won't progress beyond it's first screen (Banner/Version page). Power button on front has no effect. Reset button on front has no effect.

Eventually I performed a Power Reset. System comes back up and seems intact. It now starts the "2nd" resync. About 8 hours later it says the "Volume data is resynced", and "Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed from RESYNC to ONLINE. This is a new log message not seen in the previous cycles. There has still been no increase in Total Space for the upgrade of the 4th drive.

Current status on the System Overview screen shows "Healthy", not "Redundant"

Volumes page shows all 4 3TB drives as green, and online, Performance page shows all green.

There was no increase in space for the 4th drive, still at 6.25TB.

Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN2120 6.4.0 upgrade 4 1TB drives to 4 3TB drives

Your root volume was oddly marked as having 5 disks with one missing. I fixed that.

As for your data volume one of the 3TB disks was marked as spare in the new layer. I just fixed that. The volume is currently reshaping. Once that is complete the volume should then expand.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@sjf1 wrote:

7) Immediately thereafter, "Resyncing started for Volume Data". This WAS a surprise -- a second resync cycle?

XRAID creates RAID layers.  The first resync was to restore the 1 TB layer you already had.  The vertical expansion creates a second 2 TB layer, which is merged into the virtual disk.  That needs its own sync/creation, and I think that is what you are seing here.

@sjf1 wrote:

9) Repeat steps 4-8 on slot 3 (second resync takes about 18 hours!)

Resync requires either reading from or writing to every disk sector in the volume.  So the larger the volume is, the longer it takes. And of course the upper 2 TB layer will take longer than the base 1 TB layer.  Another factor is that disk reads/writes are faster at the beginning of the disk, and slows as you move towards the end.

@sjf1 wrote:

Current status on the System Overview screen shows "Healthy", not "Redundant"

Volumes page shows all 4 3TB drives as green, and online, Performance page shows all green.

There was no increase in space for the 4th drive, still at 6.25TB.

Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Probably best to contact support - perhaps wait a little bit, and see if someone from Netgear offers to look at the logs.  

You could also try rebooting the NAS, and/or look in rn_expand.log, mdstat.log and smart_history.log yourself. 

There are some issues with ARM platforms that are fixed in 6.4.2-RC1, so trying that might help. I'd wait for log analysis/support help before trying that step though.

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 3 of 13
sjf1
Aspirant

Thanks!  Logs sent.

Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have just sent you a PM

Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your root volume was oddly marked as having 5 disks with one missing. I fixed that.

As for your data volume one of the 3TB disks was marked as spare in the new layer. I just fixed that. The volume is currently reshaping. Once that is complete the volume should then expand.

Message 6 of 13
sjf1
Aspirant

Thanks very much!

Message 7 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sjf1,

Once the volume is done reshaping, let us know if the system is running fine. Lastly, mark this thread resolve afterwards.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 13
sjf1
Aspirant

Of course I will!  ATM it's still resyncing -- 

Message 9 of 13
sjf1
Aspirant

OK -- system has completed the resync. And yes, the volume space increased from 6.25TB to 8.07TB.

However, System->Overview->Status still is "Healthy". I could have sworn prior to the upgrade the status was "Redundant". 

Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My 516 is showing a status of Healthy. Your volume would be fine.

If you would like me to quickly double check you could send me a fresh set of logs.

Message 11 of 13
sjf1
Aspirant

Sent with my thanks! If clear I'll close the issue.

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks fine. You can mark a post that resolved your problem as the solution.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements