× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN524X Default User Permissions Reset to Default???

britesc
Aspirant

RN524X Default User Permissions Reset to Default???

Hi,

I have an RN524X running 6.9.3.

Since upgrading (may be coincidental) I have started having weird problems with regard to share access (SMB NFS etc) from Windows Laptops. The ussr needs to re-enter the password of the login user everytime.

ie. root, admin or fred, even if it is a fully mapped share with a saved password.

Also a lot things seemed to be owned by root and in group root that I would have assumed would have been admin:admin.

Can anyone please tell me what the default share owners and groups should be for both system accounts and a hyperthetical user called fred.

I just need to check that what I have is what the out of the box config says I should have.

It may well be that I need to purge the OS and reinstall.

Although I will loose the current config, everuthing in /data should still be there afterwards, yes???

Thanks appreciate any help as always,

jB 🙂

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN524X Default User Permissions Reset to Default???

Are you seeing files in the user shares that are owned by root?  If so, do you have users mounting shares with the root username?

There is a lot of stuff in the OS partition that is owned by root, and you shouldn't mess with that.  When you access the NAS via ssh, you should log in as root. You shouldn't be accessing shares with those credentials (though you can use admin).

@britesc wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what the default share owners and groups should be for both system accounts and a hyperthetical user called fred.

The default owner/group for the share itself is the owner/group that is configured in the file access page in the share settings.  When you log in as fred, then any files you store into the share are owned by fred (with the group set to his group).

@britesc wrote:

Since upgrading (may be coincidental) I have started having weird problems with regard to share access (SMB NFS etc) from Windows Laptops. The ussr needs to re-enter the password of the login user everytime.

Is this only happening after restart (or coming out of sleep)?  Or is it happening on every access?  I do sometimes see a failure to re-mount a persistently mapped drive when I reboot a PC, but I think that's a windows issue, not a NAS issue.

Did you try clearing the credentials from the Windows credential manager, and entering them again?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements