× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN716 Hard Disk Compatibility

RNASguy
Luminary

RN716 Hard Disk Compatibility

Does anyone have experience with populating the ReadyNAS RN716 with 14TB Western Digital Red Pro drives. They are not listed on the RN716 HD compatibility list, but there is a WDC 14TB  DC-HC530 WUH721414ALE6L4, so it seems the RN176 can handle 6 14TB drives, and since I want to go with WDC NAS type drives, I think it would work.

The 14TB DC HC530 is a WDC Ultrastar Data Center Drive.

The 14TB WDC Red Pro WD142KFGX is a CMR w/ helium and 512 cache.

Any comments?

thanks...

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RNASguy
Luminary

Yes, all true.  thanks....

re: apps  I agree 100% no WAN access allowed for the LAN storage.  I just would like to run some backup and media server apps that stay local.

WDC has a deal now discounting the Red Pros, probably about to introduce the next gen.  I have until 4/28 to pull the trigger.

What I don't have is the time to research a new vendor. 

I need to get the 20 or so TB off the 716 as I like to fully populate the 716 and then run several days of disk test before loading it up.

Thanks for your comments, and have a good week.

cheers

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@RNASguy wrote:

They are not listed on the RN716 HD compatibility list,

It's no longer updated, and many of the drives listed there aren't actually tested.  So I recommend ignoring it.

NAS-purposed drives (except for WD Reds - which are SMR) are fine, as are enterprise class.  So the 14 TB Red Pro should work. 

Message 2 of 5
RNASguy
Luminary

Hi StephenB,
You are confirming my suspicions.  It is a new day at Netgear I'm sorry to say.

Yes the list has not been updated in some time, they really only tested families of drives in any case.

It seems that Netgear has shut down the NAS/attached storage division. Really a shame, as I have two RN516s, and one RN716.  The company seems to be chasing the game router segment. Netgear has shut down the apps, the cloud, and other stuff.  Are they slimming it down to sell? Time will tell.

My NAS boxes are getting long in the tooth, and the 716 is showing one of the drives has a climbing error.  I expect a full fail any day.

I'm not sure where to go next for LAN storage. Do I repopulate the 716, or move to a new vendor?

Ah, the progress of time and companies.

Thanks for your response.

cheers....

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@RNASguy wrote:

I'm not sure where to go next for LAN storage. Do I repopulate the 716, or move to a new vendor?

I only use my ReadyNAS for LAN storage (I don't run apps on them, and I do not allow connections to them over the internet).

I am planning to continue to use them for the forseeable future.

So if the 716 still meets your needs, I'd recommend replacing the disk (perhaps going with a pair of arger size if you want to increase the capacity).

@RNASguy wrote:

Netgear has shut down the apps, the cloud, and other stuff.  Are they slimming it down to sell? 

Probably too late for that now.  The newest platform was launched in 2017.

Message 4 of 5
RNASguy
Luminary

Yes, all true.  thanks....

re: apps  I agree 100% no WAN access allowed for the LAN storage.  I just would like to run some backup and media server apps that stay local.

WDC has a deal now discounting the Red Pros, probably about to introduce the next gen.  I have until 4/28 to pull the trigger.

What I don't have is the time to research a new vendor. 

I need to get the 20 or so TB off the 716 as I like to fully populate the 716 and then run several days of disk test before loading it up.

Thanks for your comments, and have a good week.

cheers

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements