× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready DATA 5200 TLS 1.3

Arteme
Aspirant

Ready DATA 5200 TLS 1.3

Hello community,

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

We recently migrated our systems to new standards. And now there is the thought of connecting the old NAS drive. I already get the problem when connecting, because the latest browsers do not support the older TLS versions.
With downgrading security TLS to 1.1 I get on NAS system, but I would like it to work without downgrading to TLS 1.2 or better 1.3. Is there another possibility?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Ready DATA 5200 TLS 1.3

With being late since ReadyDATA OS was EoL in July 2016, there should have been plenty of water flowing down the Rhine river, making it clear that migrating to a supported NAS environment is long time overdue. If you consider to continue to operate these devices in a closed and limited access environment (home, small office, temporary storage, ...) you can certainly do so at your own risk. Nobody else will care about, except if your organization is undergoing mandatory and regular security audits. Even then, you can provide a plan and time window for future actions and continue operations until further advise under an exception plan.

Said that, no fixes or hacks available to my knowledge.

Wonder why you are concerned now, when many other browser environments had stopped supporting these outdated TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 years ago already? Be happy that Firefox does still allow to put up an exception.

Grüsse

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

With being late since ReadyDATA OS was EoL in July 2016, there should have been plenty of water flowing down the Rhine river, making it clear that migrating to a supported NAS environment is long time overdue. If you consider to continue to operate these devices in a closed and limited access environment (home, small office, temporary storage, ...) you can certainly do so at your own risk. Nobody else will care about, except if your organization is undergoing mandatory and regular security audits. Even then, you can provide a plan and time window for future actions and continue operations until further advise under an exception plan.

Said that, no fixes or hacks available to my knowledge.

Wonder why you are concerned now, when many other browser environments had stopped supporting these outdated TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 years ago already? Be happy that Firefox does still allow to put up an exception.

Grüsse

-Kurt

Message 2 of 4
Arteme
Aspirant

Hello,
Thanks for quick reply, you are absolutely right, it should have happened years ago. I was just hoping there would be a solution for older machines.

It is like it is.

In principle, I have already thought about how I can continue to use it.

Deploying a secure environment and segmenting the network. And probably a computer that has a VPN connection.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Converting the 5200 to ReadyNAS OS6 is an option.  That would mean offloading all the data, doing the conversion, and then restoring the data.  But with OS6 clearly on it's last legs, moving to an entirely different platform likely makes more sense.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements