× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD on ReadyNAS 4200

Saprigyn
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD on ReadyNAS 4200

So, I have ReadyNAS 4200 as a remote storage, and it says it has Raidiator 4.2.3.

Peviously I used ReadyNASRemote, before account merging, now I want to access this storage via ReadyCLOUD.

Assuming I already made file backup and created MyNetgear unified account, which steps should I do next? I tried to search for guides, but couldn't find anything clear.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 6
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: ReadyCLOUD on ReadyNAS 4200

ReadyCLOUD is only supported on OS6 devices. So if you're running RAIDiator 4.2, you won't be able to use it.

Message 2 of 6
Saprigyn
Aspirant

I was told by techsupport to upgrade my storage to OS6, though they warned me this combination isn't supported, but since my hardware support expired as well, well...

But I haven't got any instructions, just was told to go to community to find how too.

Message 3 of 6
trillian796
Guide

@Saprigyn wrote:

So, I have ReadyNAS 4200 as a remote storage, and it says it has Raidiator 4.2.3.

Peviously I used ReadyNASRemote, before account merging, now I want to access this storage via ReadyCLOUD.

Assuming I already made file backup and created MyNetgear unified account, which steps should I do next? I tried to search for guides, but couldn't find anything clear.

My advice is don't use the ready cloud  ! take a look at all the posts about it in the last couple of days and decide for yourself !  I have felt the pain myself 😞

Message 4 of 6
Saprigyn
Aspirant

Tried to dig through, with little to no success. In a nutshell: it fries device, garbles data, makes device unoperable?

Well, then let's suppose I can procure new last generation ReadyNAS storage, but without DSDs, and I want to transfer both drives and data from my old device to new - is there any pitfalls and tricks I must be aware? I'm not actually familiar with RN systems or the whole process, so be ready for really stupid questions.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@trillian796 wrote:
 My advice is don't use the ready cloud  ! take a look at all the posts about it in the last couple of days and decide for yourself !  I have felt the pain myself 😞

I wouldn't go that far.  My advice is you don't use ReadyCloud as your local means of access, use the local access interface.  You can still use it as you did with ReadyNAS Remote -- as a way to remotely access the unit.  One disadvantage is that a ReadyCloud user is a different user and won't have access to the home share of a local user.  But you can create a separate share and give both users access to it.

If you want something more like ReadyNAS Remote, where it's really just a VPN that gets you to the local controls when you are remote, but on OS6, you can look into ZeroTier or another VPN soluton.  I use ZeroTier on my legacy NASes running OS6, including a recently acquired 4200V2, and have disabled ReadyCloud.  Search the forum if you are interested in it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements