× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 upgraded to OS 6.4.0 shutdown hang

rivit
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 upgraded to OS 6.4.0 shutdown hang

Following upgrade to this release I am unable to shutdown.

System hangs with "Shutting dow. Goodbye." - I left it in this state overnight.

Power must be removed to complete shutdown. 

Message 1 of 75

Accepted Solutions
grahamu59
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS 104 upgraded to OS 6.4.0 shutdown hang

Can confirm beta 3 fixes the no shoutown with custom MTU issue.

View solution in original post

Message 54 of 75

All Replies
powellandy1
Virtuoso

There are a couple of us having the same issue here https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/Issues-with-OS-6-4-0-beta/td-p/976214

No definitive answer yet unfortuntaely.

A

Message 2 of 75
rivit
Tutor

Indeed I saw after a google search. I noticed it in the beta thread but it appears to have come through to release 😞

Message 3 of 75
MartynHeat1
Initiate

I was also suffering this bug and I saw something on another forum suggesting it only occurred whilst the drives has spun down during "off cycles" and the fix was to disable drive spin down. A slightly more elegant solution for me was to load the anti-virus app and schedule a full "data scan" 5 mins before the planned timer shutdown, this would ensure the drives were spinning when the planned shutdown triggered. It has worked for me for the last 3 nights 🙂 HTH

Message 4 of 75
rivit
Tutor

Doens't make any difference whether its a scheduled or a manully instigated shutdown on my device (web guid and power button). 

I've tired disableing disk spin down and it hasn't made any difference. 

Restart works fine.

Sounds like a bug/fault in signaling the hardware 'power off'.

Message 5 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My RedyNAS 10400 has the same problen sind I upgreded to 6.4.0. However so far shutdown via admin webpage or powwer button worked. Schedueld shutdown does not power down the ReadyNAS. There is no hint about it in the logfile. I log all loglevels for all categories. There is the normal system shutdown entry with a green dot. The next log entry is the normal system entry that backgrounf services started with a green dot. Logging into the NAS I unfortunately I could not find a readable logfile equivlent to syslog. We are waiting for for a hint or better a solution to this problem by netgear

Message 6 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Addendum to my last entry.

I did a few test with shutdown (booting up and then shutting down without any action on the NAS inbetween).

I got the following results:

- shutdown via power button: system shuts down and powers off like it shoud

- shutdown via admin webpage: system shuts down and powers off

- shutdown via ssh login as admin: (shutdown -h -P) 

system shuts down and powerd off

if the option -P is not given the systems shuts down but does not power off

(power button is on but not blinking)

I did not test  scheduled shutdown again since it never worked since uppdate to 6.4.0.

(The system was probably down, power button blinking, god bye message an disply and nor reacting to anything except power disconnect)

Message 7 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

Hi.

My father in law and myself have upgraded to firmware 6.4.0 and we both have the same issue that I cannot shutdown the 102 Readynas applicance via the power button by pressing twice or scheduled shutdown.

It use to work fine for firmware V6.2.5. I saw in the forums that people had problems with this firmware in the beta versions. Was wondering if anyone else has this issue with the released version? Is there a fix or should I downgrade firmware to the previous version? Is there a way to do that?

Grant.

Message 8 of 75
rivit
Tutor

The scheduled shutdown and hanging shutdown should be treated as two seperate issues until a link is proven. The scheduled shutdown seems to be problem with triggering the process. The 'hanging' shutdown is a problem completing the task/firmware receiving message for power off.

gw_rocks apprently is isn't possible to downgrade (well at least there isn't a supported method). I would leave it powered on until you hear otherwise 🙂    

Message 9 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi werwolf, gw_rocks, MartynHeat1 & rivit,

I've sent you guys all a PM. Please check your inbox.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 75
Deisterbiker
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS 102 hangs too after upgraded to 6.4

Best regards

Ralf

Message 11 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

Looks like the same issue I am having in this thread...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/6-4-0-102-No-scheduled-power-on/m-p/991936/high...

Would this PM apply to me also?

Message 12 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

I was asked if I had a shedule power down as well as spin down option in power setting set.

They were both on, not sure if I actually had spin down turned on before firmware upgrade or not or whether firmware turned it on. Anyway I turned off the spin down option, but it did not make any difference to the scheduled shutdown. The system still just flashes the power button light and stays that way, the only way to reset the readynas is to remove power.

I think netgear needs to make a way to roll back firmware versions when this sort of issue happens so it stops impacting people while a fix can be found.

Because 6.2.4 firmware worked fine. I wont be upgrading firmware next time for at least 3 months until I know it is ok and stable.

Grant. 

Message 13 of 75
StephenB
Guru

Usually you can downgrade easily.  It is prudent to be cautious when the release notes say you can't.

Message 14 of 75
dark1410
Tutor

My ReadyNAS 104 hangs too after upgraded to 6.4

Message 15 of 75
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dark1410 ,

Welcome to the community!

If your NAS is still accessible and just sometimes hangs or locks up, I suggest try checking this forum discussion:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyN​AS/rn104-updated-to-6-4-0-and-possible-solution-t...

Also, turn off disk spin down and see if the same problem.

Regards,

Message 16 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

An update from me.

I turn off "spin down" option in power settings. I seem to be able to turn readynas off with the power button by pressing it twice and now the scheduled poweroff seems to work, I did resave my power schedule though, not sure if that helped or not? I do not have any snapshots on my system.

Grant.

Message 17 of 75

I have exactly the same problem with my RN104.  It hasn't completed one shutdown since it was upgraded to 6.4.0 but it used to work properly under 6.2.5.  The only way to turn it off after the "goodbye" message on the LCD is to kill the power.

Message 18 of 75

Following the advice from gw_rocks I disabled my power schedule, modified the times and then re-enabled it.  I did the same with the disk spin-down schedule and not the RN104 and now it seems to shutdown ok.  Not sure which setting fixed it but thanks for the advice!

Message 19 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi

turing off spin down and scheduled shutdown did not help me. I still have the problem: scheduled shutdown always leads to a blinking power button and an absolutly unresponsive NAS where onlo pulling the cord helps. Shutdown via admin page often leads to the same state but obviously not always. I tried shutdown via ssh login and shutdown command twice, it worked fine.Shutting down via power button always worked as it should.

So far I could not detect any message indicating an error condition. Therefore I hope that the sofwaresystem shuts down correctly but power off does not work. If this were the case there is no danger for the data.I still hope that netgear will come up with a solution. Until then I will plug the cord every morning.

Werwolf

Message 20 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

An update from me again 🙂

My scheduled shutdown hung again. So did shutting down from web admin page. I dont know if this is a timimg issue as I created a hour turn on and off and it worked fine. My normal startup and shutdown times are 4 hours? I don't have time to keep playing around with options of what works and what doesnt.

The fix from netgear should be a new firmware to allow older firmware to be reinstalled in case of issues like this...........................................

Grant.

Message 21 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi werwolf,

You can provide us a copy of the latest device logs and so we can have a further look at this issue that you have experienced. Also if you have contacted support, it would be best if you will give them this information. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi BrianL

which part of which logfile(s) do you need and how do I send them. As far as I can see I can not append them to this reply.

I did not get in touch with netgear support, since I assume they know about the problem.

I did some experimenting with with shutdown (loged in as root) last night and had an interesting result:

The command: 'shutdown [-t #] -h'

yields the following result (reproducable):

- The NAS goes to some kind of a halt without powering off.

- the ethernet interface is down and not responding

- the display stays dark

- The power button is on (not blinking),  

- a 'wakeonlan' call shows no reaction (which is not suprising)

- it is not resonding to the power button at all

- pull the plug is the only way to get it going again.

This is similar to the hanging state when of the scheduled shutdown

except for the blinking power button and the message  '.. shuting down..' on the display.

The command: 'shutdown -P  [-t#] -h' terminates all running tasks and powers off

After these actions I left it running with 'spin down: off' and 'Power Timer: on' scheduled to shutdown at 2am.

This morning morning the NAS was properly shutdown with power off !

regard

werwolf

Message 23 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi werwolf,

Follow the steps here and address it under my name.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

For me any method to power off ends in a hang inluding SSH , button , gui . A restart command works correctly though. Anything else leadstoaflashing power button and an unresponsive nas. Never had this on other firmwares and no other recent changes made except various things here suggested as possible fixes.

Message 25 of 75
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements