× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3200 not responsive

stuart0870
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3200 not responsive

My ReadyNAS 3200 [4.2.30] is no longer booting up, it powers on, I get the SYSLINUX 3.31 --> Ready.. screen, but is not accessible over the network, with the drives in place, I can't ping it, with the drives removed, I can ping the device, but the web pages refuse to connect, with the drives inserted, all 12 drives flash away as if active however, and there's no error lights visible.

IMG_2523.JPGAny suggestions ?

Model: ReadyNAS Photos II|,RN12P|READYNAS 3200 NETWORK STORAGE SYSTEM - CHASSIS|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 3200 not responsive

Does RAIDar recognize the unit with the drives uninstalled and show a "no disks" status?  If yes, do you have a spare drive you can install by itself?  If so, do that and see if it comes up correctly in RAIDar wanting to initialize the volume, and then let it do so.  If that works, power down and move the drive from bay to bay, powering up and down each time.  If it boots with the drive in each slot, then the NAS is OK and you probably only need an OS re-install on the drives.

If you have no  spare drive, then you could just try the OS re-install right off, but checking out the chassis is the better first step.  Be careful not to accidently do a Factory Default, as that wipes out your data.  And note that a factory default resets the admin password to netgear1 in OS4.2.x and also resets the IP address to use DHCP if it was previously static.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Does RAIDar recognize the unit with the drives uninstalled and show a "no disks" status?  If yes, do you have a spare drive you can install by itself?  If so, do that and see if it comes up correctly in RAIDar wanting to initialize the volume, and then let it do so.  If that works, power down and move the drive from bay to bay, powering up and down each time.  If it boots with the drive in each slot, then the NAS is OK and you probably only need an OS re-install on the drives.

If you have no  spare drive, then you could just try the OS re-install right off, but checking out the chassis is the better first step.  Be careful not to accidently do a Factory Default, as that wipes out your data.  And note that a factory default resets the admin password to netgear1 in OS4.2.x and also resets the IP address to use DHCP if it was previously static.

Message 2 of 7
stuart0870
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, I'll try RAIDar when I get in the office, and report back.

Message 3 of 7
stuart0870
Aspirant

Eww... JAVA.. brb.

Message 4 of 7
stuart0870
Aspirant

Ok, tried a spare disk in each slot, each time, it showed up in RAIDar, given it doesn't show up when I have all 12 original drives in, what's the process to reinstall the OS please?

*edit* Never mind, found it: https://kb.netgear.com/24868/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-3200-4200

Message 5 of 7
stuart0870
Aspirant

Thank you, all up and running again, data intact and resyncing array.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad it was something so simple.

You should check the SMART status on the drives.  An OS re-install by itself should not cause a resync.  So something corrupted the OS and data volumes.  That could be a failing drive.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements