× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Review (RNDU6000) no network activity???

Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I did what is in the manual. Via putty with telnet but no connection.

I tried to boot the NAS again but it is not booting any more. So, I dont know what happend??? Only seeing READY NAS. And RAIDar can not find the NAS either. Even without disks it is not booting.

Message 51 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Sadly, this is sounding more and more like a hardware issue and you just got lucky when it booted a few times.  Are you back to seeing no Ethernet activity?  Try turning it off for an extended period and re-boot.

Message 52 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

No network activity indeed. Could it be that the NAS is initializing the disks some how? Or because off the 2 new memory banks?

Message 53 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you ever get it to boot past "ReadyNAS" on the display with the new memory?  If not, it could be either the memory itself or something that came loose when you added it.  It's not the drives initializing.  Even though access can be a bit slow, your NAS is still accessible during volume initialization. 

Message 54 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

With the new memory banks it was just working fine. Boot a several times and it was accessible. After trying to get in support tech modus it was till working fine. Just when I was to try again and check Putty is via telnet and not SSH, I pushed twice for shutting down. After that is was not booting again. I tried also with the old memory bank but still the same. Not booting, no internet led`s and not accessible. So it is not booting. With disks or without disks. With new memory or old memory.

Message 55 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

And the display just says "ReadyNAS"?  Could be flash memory corruption, for which a USB recovery is the solution.  Did you successfully back up the VPD file?  Since USB recovery re-writes the flash where the VPD is located, corruption of it is possible (though it's supposed to be protected).

Message 56 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Yes, only READYNAS and fans full blowing. And green led above backp button on.

Message 57 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

The display will show "ReadyNAS" with nothing present except 5V, so there are many possibilities.

Sounds like time to try USB recovery.  You never got to the point of installing OS6, right?  So, a standard OS4.2.31 recovery is called for.  It could be the power supply or something else (lots of re-booting can stress an old PSU and other components).  If the USB recovery doesn't work, then further investigation is best performed by first installing a VGA cable and monitor onto the VGA header located on the motherboard and seeing if it's even getting through motherboard POST.  

Message 58 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Never installed OS6. https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool never worked so far. I follow the rules and create a usb but it is not comming in recovery modus or any modus.

Message 59 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Legacy units are very picky about the USB drive you use, so you should try a couple more if you have them.

Message 60 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Okay, I will try.
Message 61 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Nothing happend. I tried 10 different usb sticks. I think it is realy dead this time.

Message 62 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Looking back through the thread, it does not appear you ever properly tried another power supply.  A failing PSU was was one of my early suspicions.  I've never tried to connect just the 24-pin connector, as you apparently did, I think you must also power the SATA backplane.  I absolutely know that you cannot leave the original PSU connected to the backplane and expect it to work with a different supply on the 24-pin.  If the ATX power supply you tried has no 4-pin Molex connectors, then you'll need some SATA to Molex adapters.  With no drives installed, just for testing, you should only need to connect one of the three.

Then again, with your data now all backed up, you may want to take this as a sign it's time to move on to another NAS.

Message 63 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I already have another NAS. I have this one: 

QNAP TS-h973AX, 32GB ram, Seagate IronWolf Pro schijven, 30TB

I have tried another powersupply but I can try again.

Message 64 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

It took some time but I tried with another powersupply and it is the same. It is not booting at all. With or without disks. Anyone another tip? 

Message 65 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Okay thank you all a lot for helping me out. The NAS is dead. So I will try to sell the memory banks en use the HD for extra back-up storage.

Message 66 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements