× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Pro4 does not boot - at 85% fvbackup-q.service - Management service is offline

Alfnie
Aspirant

ReadyNas Pro4 does not boot - at 85% fvbackup-q.service - Management service is offline

Hi,

My ReadyNAS Pro 4 will not boot anymore. It keeps hanging at 85% fvbackup-q.service, Raidar shows Management service is offline, and I can't login the admin-page anymore.

I have already read a lot and tried some things, but without success. I am curious if somebody can help me out with this issue.

I have upgraded the Readynas to OS6 last summer 2023 to 6.10.8, with all the good instructions from this community. I use it as COLD storage for backup purpose, so it's turned on like once per week. It ran like stable for 10months, but as of last week, it won't boot again.

I have read some related articles from this community, in which I recognize my issue, but can't find the steps to fix it for myself.

Management Service offline 

Unable-to-connect-to-ReadyNAS-Admin-page 

stuck at 97% and mentions the fvbackup-q.service 

What I have found out so far:

• Putty SSH does not work - SSH seems not enabled
  • Putty Telnet does work - I have booted ReadyNAS in Tech Support mode and logged in (nothing more)
  • Memory test was good, 0 errors, it ran for like 24hours, then I manually shutdown the NAS
  • I have used Rsync for backup content to some USB-HDD (formatted EXT4)

I really would appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Pro4 does not boot - at 85% fvbackup-q.service - Management service is offline

Of course the issue is here:

3.1G    /mnt/media

/media only should contain mount points for USB drives (e.g., USB_HDD_1,etc).  These mount points should be empty.  So look in each subfolder and delete the files you see there (leaving the mount points). 

Files can end up in these folders when a USB drive disconnects when a backup job is running.

FWIW, remounting the root as /mnt is useful when the NAS is running normally, as it keeps the mounts out of the way.  It isn't needed in tech support mode, as nothing (including your data volume) should be mounted on a root folder.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Pro4 does not boot - at 85% fvbackup-q.service - Management service is offline

Have you tried using the boot menu option to skip the volume check?

Also, do you have data you have to off-load?  If not, have you tried doing a factory default?

Message 2 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

In the third post you referenced, the poster's issue did seem to be a full OS partition, though he never showed what the partition use was before he deleted a lot of superfluous files and never explicitly says the file deletion he did was the fix.  Do you have SSH enabled so you can check the OS partition use?  The other poster still had SSH access when it failed to fully boot.

Message 3 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Have you tried using the boot menu option to skip the volume check?

As a follow up on your post I am doing it now. It took long on apache2.service and now it still stalls on fvbackup-q.service.

@StephenB wrote:

Also, do you have data you have to off-load?  If not, have you tried doing a factory default?

I do have a backup, but it's like at least 2 months old, and I have organized some file recently. So it's no lifechanging event if I loose the recent changes, but I would really dislike that. That would be my final solution if nothing else prevails. Hence, I have not done a factory default yet.

Message 4 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

In the third post you referenced, the poster's issue did seem to be a full OS partition, though he never showed what the partition use was before he deleted a lot of superfluous files and never explicitly says the file deletion he did was the fix.  Do you have SSH enabled so you can check the OS partition use?  The other poster still had SSH access when it failed to fully boot.

I can't remember that I have enabled it on OS6, since it's default is OFF, I would say the SSH is disabled.

Also, I have tried to SSH it with Putty (port 22), the response is "Fatal Error, Network error: Connection refused". I would again say the SSH is disabled.

However, I am able to reach it with Putty>Telnet from Tech-support mode.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

However, I am able to reach it with Putty>Telnet from Tech-support mode.

Then you can check the OS partition.  First run 

rnutil chroot

That will start RAID, mount the OS partition, and chroot.

Message 6 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

# rnutil chroot
Imported RAID data-0
root@2HU422030133D:/# df.
bash: df.: command not found
root@2HU422030133D:/# df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0         4190208 3804096         0 100% /
root@2HU422030133D:/# btrfs fi df .
Data, single: total=3.58GiB, used=3.58GiB
System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=204.56MiB, used=16.52MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=16.00MiB, used=0.00B

Message 7 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Then you can check the OS partition.  First run 

rnutil chroot

That will start RAID, mount the OS partition, and chroot.

# rnutil chroot
Imported RAID data-0
root@2HU422030133D:/# df.
bash: df.: command not found
root@2HU422030133D:/# df .
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4190208 3804096 0 100% /

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

/dev/md0 4190208 3804096 0 100% /

This is really full, it normally is about 25-30%

This is what I see on my own NAS.

root@NAS:~# mount --bind / /mnt

root@NAS:~# df /mnt
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0         4190208 1036472   2872104  27% /mnt

root@NAS:~# btrfs fi df /mnt
Data, single: total=2.03GiB, used=966.21MiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=128.00MiB, used=14.97MiB
root@NAS:~#

Have you looked to see where the space is going?  Here is what I see:

root@NAS:~# du -h -d 1 /mnt
6.4M    /mnt/bin
0       /mnt/boot
24K     /mnt/dev
12M     /mnt/etc
0       /mnt/home
33M     /mnt/lib
4.0K    /mnt/lib64
0       /mnt/media
4.7M    /mnt/opt
0       /mnt/proc
40K     /mnt/root
0       /mnt/run
11M     /mnt/sbin
0       /mnt/srv
0       /mnt/sys
0       /mnt/tmp
331M    /mnt/usr
538M    /mnt/var
0       /mnt/mnt
0       /mnt/data
0       /mnt/apps
30M     /mnt/frontview
964M    /mnt

Message 9 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

root@2HU422030133D:/# du -h -d 1 /mnt
6.4M    /mnt/bin
0       /mnt/boot
24K     /mnt/dev
9.8M    /mnt/etc
33M     /mnt/lib
4.0K    /mnt/lib64
3.1G    /mnt/media
4.2M    /mnt/opt
0       /mnt/proc
16K     /mnt/root
0       /mnt/run
11M     /mnt/sbin
0       /mnt/srv
0       /mnt/sys
0       /mnt/tmp
279M    /mnt/usr
198M    /mnt/var
0       /mnt/mnt
0       /mnt/apps
0       /mnt/data
0       /mnt/home
30M     /mnt/frontview
3.6G    /mnt
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

3.1G    /mnt/media

/media only should contain mount points for USB drives (e.g., USB_HDD_1,etc).  These mount points should be empty.  So look in each subfolder and delete the files you see there (leaving the mount points). 

Files can end up in these folders when a USB drive disconnects when a backup job is running.

FWIW, remounting the root as /mnt is useful when the NAS is running normally, as it keeps the mounts out of the way.  It isn't needed in tech support mode, as nothing (including your data volume) should be mounted on a root folder.

Message 11 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

3.1G    /mnt/media

There was exact one .iso file of some old disk, the origin is from another system from which I push backup to the USB drive of this NAS over the network. I have deleted it with the command.

rm "abc.iso"

I googled all kinds of Linus commands to decipher your original code and then to list all subdirectories and files, and then i used cd to navigate to the folder. Actually, I found it really fun to do 🙂

I kinda was understanding with your help what I was doing and solving. Thank you for that being inspirational, not only for the solution and help, but also making me find out I liked this.

To be honest, yesterday I also was looking for some files to delete, since I guessed it would be the next step. But I was like focusing on /mnt (it says also 3.1G), but is is of course the parent directory. And I was really blind as it appears, because I really didnt see the /media folder.... like really blind, because I have scanned the list with 16 directories for like 10 times.

This is certainly possible, since I have timed it with some schedule (incl. shutting down HDD power), so I'm going to look into this schedule and improve it.

I do not really understand what you mean with this phrases. What do you mean?

Soms additional actions I took:

• I have enabled SSH on root and on admin. I have downloaded the public_key.txt.
  • I upgraded the firmware to 6.10.10
  • I checked if I have some apps installed, but I haven't any

Some questions from this:

1. What is the difference between using PuTTY in SSH or Telnet? SSH failed since it was disabled, but Telnet was still possible, luckily.
  2. I have upgraded this from OS4 to OS6. The boot menu shows "OS Reinstall". I'm not going to do that, but what will be reinstalled exactly? Is it going to OS4 or OS6 then?

It now has better results:

root@2HU422030133D:/# df /mnt
/dev/md0 4190208 626496 3170944 17% /mnt
root@2HU422030133D:/# btrfs fi df /mnt
Data, single: total=3.58GiB, used=569.25MiB
Metadata, DUP: total=204.56MiB, used=13.27MiB

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

I do not really understand what you mean with this phrases. What do you mean?

Your earlier post indicated you were using tech support mode.  But you were exploring /mnt in your later post.  I was assuming you were still using tech support mode.  If you were, then there is no need to do the mount --bind / /mnt as you can just explore //.

As far as mount points go - they are placeholder folders.  The NAS mounts file systems using these mount points (for example, the data volume is usually mounted as /data).  Before the file system is mounted, /data is supposed to be just an empty folder.  Afterwards it is used to access the data volume.  If there are files in the /data folder before you mount the file system, then they are hidden by the mount.  The mount command above works around that problem.

@Alfnie wrote:

Some questions from this:

What is the difference between using PuTTY in SSH or Telnet? SSH failed since it was disabled, but Telnet was still possible, luckily.

As I mentioned above, Telnet is only supposed to work in tech support mode (using root as the username, and a backdoor password).  SSH is what you'd normally use if the NAS is running.

@Alfnie wrote:

I have upgraded this from OS4 to OS6. The boot menu shows "OS Reinstall". I'm not going to do that, but what will be reinstalled exactly? Is it going to OS4 or OS6 then?

When you install firmware, the NAS puts a copy of the installation package into its flash, as well as installing it to the disks.

The reinstall does a partial reinstallation of the OS from that package.  So with the NAS is running 6.10.10, then the OS reinstall will partially reinstall 6.10.10.

While it is data-safe, it does make a couple of other changes:

• the admin password is reset to password
  • the network configuration is set to use DHCP with no bonding
  • volume quota is disabled (it can be re-enabled from the volume settings wheel).
Message 13 of 15
Alfnie
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Your earlier post indicated you were using tech support mode.  But you were exploring /mnt in your later post.  I was assuming you were still using tech support mode.  If you were, then there is no need to do the mount --bind / /mnt as you can just explore //.

Ok, I understand now. At first I was just typing what u did. Now I understand the bind.

The reinstall does a partial reinstallation of the OS from that package.  So with the NAS is running 6.10.10, then the OS reinstall will partially reinstall 6.10.10.

What means a Partial reinstall? What is partly about it?

Thanks for everything.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

What means a Partial reinstall? What is partly about it?

Netgear hasn't said exactly what it reinstalls, and I haven't tried to figure it out.

But we know it doesn't overinstall everything, because there are situations where people have made mistakes with updating packages with SSH, and the OS reinstall didn't repair the damage.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements