× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 102 no access to files whatsoever

muhdhelmitan
Aspirant

Readynas 102 no access to files whatsoever

Hi I need help!
Let me try describe the events leading to this.

1. I found out yesterday that the ftp wasn't working on my readynas 102 all of a sudden

2. I went into the admin page and tried to off and turn back on the ftp service. (it didn't resolve)

3. I accidentally turned off the http service by unticking the "HTTP Admin"

4. All access to my nas was suddenly unavailable. ? Shared folders no longer appear in my network. - I did have tvmobili installed all this while and strangely tvmobili can still access my files via dlna on my television.

5. I tried os reinstall but to no avail.

6. Raidar states a management service is offline error and I am also unable to download any logs.(Fail)

No browse button, Admin leads to a page that will never load.

7. Diagnostics indicate Disk 1 has 2 Command Timeouts

8. I tried taking out the drive and putting it in an external harddrive enclosure. OSX cannot read the drive. I tried it on debian via parallels and it states a full 5tb harddrive with unknown partition (PMBR) and unable to mount. (How can it be empty if I can still access my files via dlna through tvmobili? What format is the harddrive in and how can I mount it on osx or any os?

9. If i boot the nas as normal, the power button will never stop blinking.

I am currently using macs in my household. I have too much in the harddrive to just do a factory reset. any ideas anyone? I would really love to recover the files inside!

Thanks for any help!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 102 no access to files whatsoever

The OS ran out of space as you left it configured to store its cache on the root volume.

If you look at /etc/tvmobili/conf/tvMobiliService.conf you will see that the CacheRoot is set to /var/tvmobili/cache. That cache grew to 3.2GB in size, and filled the root volume. You need to set a CacheRoot that is stored on the data volume.

It's possible that the vanilla Debian package stores others files on the root volume that should be stored on the data volume.

Whether the package is configured to start at the right time (i.e. after data volume is mounted and certain services are up and running) is another question.

If you want to experiment with vanilla Debian packages it's best to have SSH enabled, know how to use it and also have updated your regular backup.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello muhdhelmitan,

Welcome to the community!

It seems there is totally no way to get this resolved but to get to support center as they have an option to remote in to your NAS and/or process RMA for the chassis if needed. I also hope you have a full backup of the data.

Can you try putting \\ followed by the IP address of the NAS in the Windows explorer window? \\192.168.1.5 for example.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6. If you've somehow disabled the http/s service then downloading the logs using RAIDar won't work regardless of the status of the management service.

8. OSX cannot read BTRFS as far as I am aware. But with a standard Linux machine, mdadm, a recent btrfs-progs and kernel it's straightforward assuming the disks, volume and array are fine. Not something the average user would want to attempt though. Better to follow up with support.

Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The tvmobili cache is stored at /var/tvmobili/cache rather than on the data volume.

How did you install this app?

Message 4 of 11
muhdhelmitan
Aspirant

I dragged the .deb file into the install apps if i can recall? I tried installing the default tvmobili app that came along with the apps for readynas but that version was way outdated so i had to download a debian version. This is coming from my vague recallation. Hope this helps? Is there a way to remedy this? Thanks!
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That would explain it. When you install an app that is not designed for the ReadyNAS it will be configured to store things in the wrong places and can easily fill up the 4GB root volume.

Support probably could help trying to remove this app if you purchase a per incident support contract.

Message 6 of 11
muhdhelmitan
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the explanation. So what happened? The os ran out of space and couldnt support the http ftp and shared access? Unfortunately I am unable to fork out US75 to have it deleted. The best option for me now I guess is to extract everything I want out via btsync then do a factory restore. I would like to understand how this space issue triggered this event so that maybe I can check with tvmobili's support as to how to install it in the right partition?

Anyway, how would I be sure that when I install an app, which folder should it install it to which is not in the os partition? this might help me on my reinstallation of TVmobili. Thanks again so much for this! Truly appreciate the community's help here!

Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS ran out of space as you left it configured to store its cache on the root volume.

If you look at /etc/tvmobili/conf/tvMobiliService.conf you will see that the CacheRoot is set to /var/tvmobili/cache. That cache grew to 3.2GB in size, and filled the root volume. You need to set a CacheRoot that is stored on the data volume.

It's possible that the vanilla Debian package stores others files on the root volume that should be stored on the data volume.

Whether the package is configured to start at the right time (i.e. after data volume is mounted and certain services are up and running) is another question.

If you want to experiment with vanilla Debian packages it's best to have SSH enabled, know how to use it and also have updated your regular backup.

Message 8 of 11
muhdhelmitan
Aspirant

Ok I think I am getting a right idea here! let's just assume now that I manage to delete the cache by using btsync to sync an "empty" folder over, will the system be able to function as normal or would I still have to do a factory restore? Also how do I reenable http admin or ssh if I cannot access? or is there a way? You guys have been a great help!

Message 9 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The thing is to deal with the problem before it gets to the point where you lose access to e.g. SSH in.

Message 10 of 11
muhdhelmitan
Aspirant

Ok thank you guys for everything. I'll try extract out whatever I can and perhaps if left with no choice then do a factory reset and will take note of the installation in root partition. Thanks for all the help! It's good to know the source of the problem being found!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements