× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing drives back into wrong bays ReadyNASRND4000

rogergray
Follower

Replacing drives back into wrong bays ReadyNASRND4000

This is a simple question from a stupid man. The PSU on my Netgear ReadyNASRND4000 blew and I removed the drives (4x2Tb WD drives) and FORGOT which order they were in. When the new PSU is fitted can I safely replace the drives and switch back on? Even if they are now in the wrong order? If not what do I do, there is a LOT of data on here. I was running it configured as RAID-X as a redundancy (if I remember right)

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replacing drives back into wrong bays ReadyNASRND4000

Hi rogergray,

Welcome to the community!

Do you happen to save an old copy of the logs of your device?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replacing drives back into wrong bays ReadyNASRND4000

As BrianL mentioned an old copy of the logs would be useful. If you have a copy of those we can tell the drive order of the disks installed at the time the logs were downloaded from that.

If not, provided you were not running extremely old firmware then putting the drives back into the wrong bays hopefully shouldn't be an issue. If you subsequently download the logs we can determine what the original drive order was.

Backups are important. There are a range of things that can lead to data loss such as multiple disk failures, fire, flood, theft, user error (e.g. accidental file deletions) etc. If you store important data primarily on your NAS you should backup that data.

Considering the age of your unit, I would recommend getting a new ReadyNAS, transferring your data across to the new unit and using your NV+ to hold backups of the important data on the new unit.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements