× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup for running one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to backup one ReadyNas 316 every night...

olavlind
Aspirant

Setup for running one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to backup one ReadyNas 316 every night...

Hi,

I am responsible for networking and computers at work. 

We have one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with 2 x 2TB disks that I just ran a factory default on.

This is our old NAS that I want to use as backup target to backup our new NAS: ReadyNAS 316 with 4 x 3TB. 

We run the 316 on a daily basis.

We want to connect the Ultra 4 on the same network, but hide it from normal users and only use it as a backup target backing up the 316 every night.

What is the best way to hide the Ultra 4 from normal users so they don't accidentally start using it or connecting to it on the network, and still using it as backup target?

~Olav 

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop),RN31663D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x3TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Setup for running one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to backup one ReadyNas 316 every night...

Can you have the backup unit only power on to do the backup then power off? If the backup jobs are on the backup unit, you can set a very short power on period and the jobs will complete before scheduled shutdown.  You say you want the backup to happen at night so hopefully there won't be many users around when the backup unit is up.

You can also restrict network access by IP address so only the 316 can access the ultra and no users  machines can access it.  

Not sure you'll be able to hide it, but you should be able to prevent access.

Message 2 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Setup for running one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to backup one ReadyNas 316 every night...

Hi olavlind,

In addition to vandermerwe's suggestion, you can set permission on the local shares of the Ultra 4 unit or even hide them so no other local user can see or access it.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
olavlind
Aspirant

Hi, I am trying to set up a backup job from our readynas 316 to our old factory defaulted readynas ultra 4.

When I try to enter a new rsync backup job on the ultra 4 pulling data from the 316, the apply button at the bottom is not active. test connection reports ok.

When I try to do it the other way around entering the backup job on the 316, it seems to start, but reports "connection cannot be established. This is after testing the connection ok.

What am I doing wrong?

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running on each unit?

Have you tried configuring it using multiple different web browsers?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements