× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow share performance on my RN 104 since upgrading to 6.4.0

TheGMan
Aspirant

Slow share performance on my RN 104 since upgrading to 6.4.0

I upgraded to 6.4.0 two days ago, obviously now wishing I'd checked the forums first as my ReadyNAS was running fine on 6.2.5, but didn't think they'd send out such a poor release.

Anyhow, I've searched round and found plenty of other people with issues with 6.4.0 but none of the scenarios identified apply to me (I do not use jumbo frames (it's always been 1500), my ReadyNAS is not periodically locking up, I do not and never have had disc spin-down enabled, and although I did have IPv6 enabled, when I disabled it and rebooted it made no difference) so thought I would start a new thread in the hopes of getting some ideas / assistance.

For me it's just slow at file operations.  Half the speed it was before the update, running at about 27MB/s when doing a file copy on Windows from my PC to the ReadyNAS using SMB shares.  This is a pain, but what is worse is that it's broken my workflow in that part of what I do many times a day is uncompress ZIP and RAR files which are between 1 and 3 GB each to various shares on the ReadyNAS for colleagues to use.  This doesn't work any more.  Anything more than about 800MB or so and the uncompress will fail with "network name is no longer available" type errors.  Uncompressing the file to my desktop and moving it to the share works fine (if substantially slower than before).

The UI itself doesn't seem any slower.

Any ideas anyone?

Message 1 of 61
StephenB
Guru

Re: Slow share performance on my RN 104 since upgrading to 6.4.0

I am seeing similar speeds with the RN102 running 6.4.1. (generally mid-30 MB/s on large file transfers).

Message 2 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Right, and you agree / think that that is below par, right?  That is - it was running faster before the upgrade to the 6.4.x software?  I was getting 50-60 MB/s consistently (my PC has gigabit, and only has a GS308 between it and the ReadyNAS, not that anything has changed there between before and after the update).

Message 3 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@TheGMan wrote:

Right, and you agree / think that that is below par, right? 

Yes.  Last April I measured 62 MB/s read, and 55 MB/s write (and I recall typical speeds of 70 MB/s).

I have provided this info (with logs) to Netgear.

Message 4 of 61
StephenB
Guru

6.4.1-T35 is faster, but still there seems to be a dropoff.  

Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on \\10.0.0.13\test 5 times...
Iteration 1: 50.89 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 46.97 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 44.12 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 50.82 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 52.03 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 48.96 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\10.0.0.13\test 5 times...
Iteration 1: 57.77 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 59.24 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 60.17 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 51.36 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 57.72 MB/sec
Average (R): 57.25 MB/sec

Also SAMBA misbehaved the first time I ran the test (network timeout).  I had to reboot the NAS from ssh - no idea why.

Message 5 of 61
diwakar
Aspirant

This is perhaps the same / similar issue: I am running 6.4.1-T29 (Beta release, needed to fix other problems that 6.4.0 introduced - namely my backup jobs went dead). T29 fixes the backup issue, but the speed of access is painfully long.  I now see VERY long file access times as well as upload times. My file speeds can be in the 800 KB/s range!

I use the following services in my Settings tab:

SMB, AFP, NFS, iTunes, ReadyDLNA, Rsync, UPnP, HTTP, HTTPS, Antivirus

Unused services: FTP, SNMP, SSH

Although these settings are the same as prior to 6.4.0 upgrade, I'm wondering if I need to enable / disable some services to achieve better access speeds. Almost all my access nodes are Windows PCs, I also have a couple of iPads on the WiFi network.

My HW is an Apple Airport Extreme router, followed by a Gb Switch, which connects to all the PCs on a wired GbE connection. The ReadyNAS102 is directly connected to the router on a GbE connection.

thanks for your responses,

Diwakar

Message 6 of 61
joel80
Tutor

same here, with readynas 314. 😞 Please keep us updated.

I am playing with the thought to backup, reset and downgrade the NAS. (possible WITH loss of data?)

Message 7 of 61
diwakar
Aspirant

@joel80,

I considered rolling back to 6.2.5 (or any "clean" update before 6.4.0) - thanks for bringing it up in discussion.

Does anyone on the forum know if that is a viable option? Is that version available, and is there any gotcha in reverting back?

Thanks

Diwakar

Message 8 of 61
grahamu59
Tutor

I'm also seeing reduced speed on 6.4.x the larger the file the worse the performance. Using NASteter speed for a 1GB file is half that of 6.2.5 and a 4GB file goes down to 7MB/S.

Message 9 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Diwakar:  I looked in to downgrading back to 6.2.5 too, as I thought that might at least get me back to the kinds of functionality I was used to, but from what I have been able to find, it's a bit fiddly and means that you have to find somewhere else to put all your data, as one of the steps is a factory default.  As I have coming up for 5TB of data, I don't have anywhere I could store that while I did the reset, no to mention the sheer amount of time it would take to copy all that data off, and then back on once I did the reset.

Message 10 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@diwakar wrote:

Does anyone on the forum know if that is a viable option? Is that version available, and is there any gotcha in reverting back?

ifixdevices posted a downgrade method that worked for him (and others) - you'll find it here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/rn104-updated-to-6-4-0-and-possible-solution-to...

Message 11 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Ack, I spoke too soon about my ReadyNAS not locking up.

I was copying a file to it just now, and the copy failed.  Can't connect to the shares now, nor the web UI, the LCD doesn't come on if I press the power button, and even if I hold down the power button, the unit doesn't shut down.

This is a terrible user experience and is definitely making me regret recommending ReadyNAS to family and friends; I hope they don't experience similar problems and I'm certainly not recommending it any further until Netgear can at least hold their hands up and say "yes, there's a problem, and yes we're working on it, hold tight, sorry".

Message 12 of 61
joel80
Tutor

I fixed the problem for me now.

The Downgrade worked for me.

Backup all data, Downgrade to 6.40. beta 1 ( hXXp://www.readynas.com/download/beta/readynasos/6.4.0/ReadyNASOS-6.4.0-T112-x86_64.img )

and Then downgrade to 6.2.X, then factory reset

thank you all.

My problems are all fixed now. I'll never run any update so quickly again. Never touch a running system.

My DVBLINK and OwnCloud app is working fine now, too.

Message 13 of 61
JohnNulty
Apprentice

+1 for seeing issues with poor transfer performance since upgrade to 6.4.0 (most noticeable on my RN312 - I don't have a RN104, but thought it worth me adding my experineces to this post).  Sometimes connection just drops on my Gb LAN with my Win7 clients using SMB, causing copy fails.  Not in a business critical environment, but annoying (and surprising) just the same.  Hoping the next release will sort the issue....; )

Message 14 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Thanks, JohnNulty, I agree - it seems like too much of a coincidence not to be related.

joel80:  I'm pleased that that worked for you, but it's really not an option for me.  It would take 4-5 days to copy the data off, then do the reset and another 2-3 days to copy the data back on, and that would be after I spent £150 on external drives, and accepted no data protection for a week, hoping not to lose anything.

For me, that's not a solution but as I say I'm glad it was for you.

Netgear really need to be the ones to resolve this, or at least provide an alternate path back to 6.2.5 that can be done in-place, if they don't intend on fixing the problem.

Message 15 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Two more hangs today.  Not yet gotten to the end of resyncing the data as it's unresponsive each time and I have to power cycle.

Don't know what to do.  Some comment / help from Netgear would be appreciated at this time.

Message 16 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TheGMan,

Can you try changing the MTU to 1500? Or if it is already 1500, change it to 9000 then change it back to 1500.

Regards,

Message 17 of 61
grahamu59
Tutor

Tried this - but wish I had not! No improvement in performance but totally screwed up my iscsi setup. Could not disconect in win7 (to reboot the NAS). Had to restore to the day before and set MTU back to 1500 to be able to connect to the LUN again.

Message 18 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello all,

Please try ReadyNASOS 6.4.1-RC1 and observe if there's any improvement. 

You may need to reboot NAS in case same problem.

Regards,

Message 19 of 61
grahamu59
Tutor

Already on 6.4.1 beta 3 in my case.

Message 20 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello grahamus59,

6.4.1-RC1 is different from BETA 3.

Regards,

Message 21 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Upgraded to 6.4.1 RC1.

Don't see any difference - share performance is still at between 15 and 25 MB/s.

I only upgraded last night (after it spent 4 days resyncing data after a crash) so I don't know if it's more stable and not crashing yet.

Message 22 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TheGMan,

Please try contacting support center to take advantage of your free phone support so it can be escalated to L3 to get them take a look what may be causing this performance issue.

Regards,

Message 23 of 61
pinky2000
Guide

Any news/feedback on this? Thanks

Message 24 of 61
ernst_stucki
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNas102 and made an upgrade to 6.4. about 3 to 4 weeks ago, then upgraded to 6.4.1 T21, T29, T35. With every version I had severe problems on performance. To open some folders it takes every time about 30 to 60s! I have also problems with backups from my pc to the NAS. It permanently fails with rsync timeouts. So my NAS is practically not usable because of the long access times and I am not able to backup my data in a normal way. I do not understand, that Netgear lets users alone with such a problem during such a long time. I tried to get information, how it would be able to downgrade to 6.2.5 (wich did run reasonably).

Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements