× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Someone modifies my share's Folder Owner and Folder Group

2ndNAS
Apprentice

Someone modifies my share's Folder Owner and Folder Group

In my Shares->File Access, the Folder Owner and Folder Group are modified from alphabetic characters to numeric values on my rn202  OS6.4.1.

Folder Group is changed to "65534", this means nothing to me.

But I noticed that Folder Owner is changed from my userid to "1003" which happens to be the UID of my userid in the menu of my Readynas DUO v1 (v4.1.14), so it might be related to my experiments with rsync, which I have no experience with (I have a Windows background).

I have both "push" and "pull" backup jobs on each server (for 2 shares), all using rsync; but obviously I need  some basic rsync knowledge. Can you advice?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Someone modifies my share's Folder Owner and Folder Group

@2ndNAS wrote:

In my Shares->File Access, the Folder Owner and Folder Group are modified from alphabetic characters to numeric values on my rn202  OS6.4.1.

But I noticed that Folder Owner is changed from my userid to "1003" which happens to be the UID of my userid in the menu of my Readynas DUO v1 (v4.1.14), so it might be related to my experiments with rsync, which I have no experience with (I have a Windows background).

I have both "push" and "pull" backup jobs on each server (for 2 shares), all using rsync; but obviously I need  some basic rsync knowledge. Can you advice?

Groups have GIDs, just like users have UIDs.  GID 65534 on the duo is "nogroup" (or guest).

When rsync copies data, it also copies the associated UID/GIDs.  If they don't exist on the destination system, that system will display the number.  If they do exist, but are assigned to a different user or group name, it will look like the ownership has changed.

The fix is to match the UID/GIDs on the RN202 to the values the duo uses.  Unfortunately, you can't do that with nogroup - the RN202 uses a different GID (99) for that, and you can't change it.  What I did is reset my NAS ownership so that nobody and nogroup were never used.  

Note that if this isn't causing any harm, you can also just leave it be.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@2ndNAS wrote:

Groups have GIDs, just like users have UIDs.  GID 65534 on the duo is "nogroup" (or guest).

When rsync copies data, it also copies the associated UID/GIDs.  If they don't exist on the destination system, that system will display the number.  If they do exist, but are assigned to a different user or group name, it will look like the ownership has changed.

The fix is to match the UID/GIDs on the RN202 to the values the duo uses.  Unfortunately, you can't do that with nogroup - the RN202 uses a different GID (99) for that, and you can't change it.  What I did is reset my NAS ownership so that nobody and nogroup were never used.  

Note that if this isn't causing any harm, you can also just leave it be.

Message 2 of 3
2ndNAS
Apprentice

Thank you StephenB,

I found the "nogroup" default and changed it to a group that exist on both servers.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements