× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to communicate with old ReadyNAS Duo

denbigh1974
Aspirant

Trying to communicate with old ReadyNAS Duo

I have an old ReadyNAS Duo (2012-ish?) that I am trying to get up and running using a Windows 10 laptop on the same wired network.

I have loaded RAIDar (Windows ver 4.3.8) and can identify the NAS IP address as 192.168.1.108. Using this, I can browse the files and transfer them to a back-up drive.

However, I can't seem to access the Duo setup. Any browser I use returns the message "The connection for this site is not secure. 192.168.1.108 uses an unsupported protocol."

Is there a relatively pain-free way to communicate with the NAS. My current thought is to back up all the files and then factory reset the device. But presumably I need to upgrade the firmware too? Is it possible?

The current firmware version reported by RAIDar is 4.1.16

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@denbigh1974 wrote:

But presumably I need to upgrade the firmware too? 

Starting here, 4.1.16 was the final firmware version for your NAS.  So there is no upgrade.

@denbigh1974 wrote:

Is there a relatively pain-free way to communicate with the NAS.

The error is because current browsers require TLS 1.2 for HTTPS and your NAS doesn't support that.

Use Firefox, and set security.tls.version.min to 1 (browse to about:config and search for the setting).   You will still need to click through a security warning, since the NAS uses a self-signed certificate.  But it will connect.

Once you are able to access frontview (and enable ssh if you haven't already done so), you can also modify a file on the NAS to let you connect with ordinary HTTP.

Posts 1 and 5 in this discussion thread might help:

Note the add-ons in the discussion thread that add TLS 1.2 to 4.2.x and 5.3.x ReadyNAS aren't compatible with your 4.1.x system.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Use Firefox, call about:config and set security.tls.version.min to 1

Firefox security.tls.version.min 1.PNG

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@denbigh1974 wrote:

But presumably I need to upgrade the firmware too? 

Starting here, 4.1.16 was the final firmware version for your NAS.  So there is no upgrade.

@denbigh1974 wrote:

Is there a relatively pain-free way to communicate with the NAS.

The error is because current browsers require TLS 1.2 for HTTPS and your NAS doesn't support that.

Use Firefox, and set security.tls.version.min to 1 (browse to about:config and search for the setting).   You will still need to click through a security warning, since the NAS uses a self-signed certificate.  But it will connect.

Once you are able to access frontview (and enable ssh if you haven't already done so), you can also modify a file on the NAS to let you connect with ordinary HTTP.

Posts 1 and 5 in this discussion thread might help:

Note the add-ons in the discussion thread that add TLS 1.2 to 4.2.x and 5.3.x ReadyNAS aren't compatible with your 4.1.x system.  

Message 3 of 4
denbigh1974
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your comprehensive solution.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements