× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPDATE Debian ReadyNAS NVX

BadileDaOrto
Aspirant

UPDATE Debian ReadyNAS NVX

Hi, i have a ReadyNAS NVX and i want to upgrade the Debian version.

Install "Enable SSH" doesn't work and i cannot access to the system.

Is possible make a factory reset without disks and gain access via ssh for upgrade the Debian version?

Thanks in advance.

Siro.

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPDATE Debian ReadyNAS NVX

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

Is possible make a factory reset without disks 

No.  A factory reset formats the disks and installs the OS onto the disks from the flash.  So it cannot be done w/o disks.  

Also, the system boots from the disks, so any changes you'd make wouldn't be carried over to the original disks.

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

Hi, i have a ReadyNAS NVX and i want to upgrade the Debian version.

Short answer - you can't.  Netgear has made modifications that you would need to reverse-engineer and then apply as patches to the standard Debian.

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

Install "Enable SSH" doesn't work

It should.  What error are you getting?

Message 2 of 9
BadileDaOrto
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply.

When i install the "EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin" all seem to be ok but in the end when i try to login in ssh(after reboot ReadyNAS) i receive the message thet only rsync can use the protocol.

Here an example:

ssh -o KexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 root@192.168.100.104
SSH access is available for rsync only.
Connection to 192.168.100.104 closed.

If i try an rsync i receive an error too:

rsync -avP -o KexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 /media/me/c53855ec-1afa-4299-9cc6-b6c9f5380e1e/ISO me@192.168.100.104:/c/media/
Unable to negotiate with 192.168.100.104 port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

All suggestion is appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Is the NAS admin password still set to the default value (netgear1)?  If it is, you need to change it.

Also, what firmware are you running?

Is there a reason you are specifying the key exchange mechanism?

Message 4 of 9
BadileDaOrto
Aspirant

Hi,

the admin password is not the default but a new one.

The version of firmware is the last for NVX 4.18

I should specify the exchange machanism because is a very old ssh server and i receive error on that cypher.

In fact enabling old cypher permit me to use SMB share with readynas but not to connect via ssh.

Thanks for your time.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

The version of firmware is the last for NVX 4.18

4.2.18 goes back to 2011, and is definitely not the last/final firmware for your NAS

That would be 4.2.31 (from 2017)

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

I should specify the exchange machanism because is a very old ssh server and i receive error on that cypher.

In fact enabling old cypher permit me to use SMB share with readynas but not to connect via ssh.

Thanks for your time.

I don't have any NAS running 4.2.x anymore, but I still do have two 4.1.x systems.  I've never needed to specify the exchange mechanism.  But if you are running 4.2.18, perhaps that accounrs for it.

As far as SMB goes, I don't see how that is related, as your NAS is too old to support SMB 3, so it doesn't support encrypted SMB connections at all.

Message 6 of 9
BadileDaOrto
Aspirant

Hi,

i was wrong i have already installed the version 4.2.31.

Ill try a factory reset and a new install of "EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin" and will see.

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@BadileDaOrto wrote:

Ill try a factory reset and a new install of "EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin" and will see.

One thing to keep in mind - this is a "toggle" install with no ui.  If you install it a second time, it will uninstall itself.

Message 8 of 9
BadileDaOrto
Aspirant

EUREKAAAA!!!

After factory reset and a rebuild of system i install immediatly the EnableRootSSH and it work!!!

I'm really happy now i need to find the old repository of NVX Readynas but i ask for help in another topic.

Thanks for all StephenB.

See you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements