× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to manually edit minidlna.conf? (or get changes to stick anyway)

brock_gonad
Aspirant

Unable to manually edit minidlna.conf? (or get changes to stick anyway)

Hi Folks,

Long time OS4 user, recently upgraded to OS6. Generally very happy with the upgrade. One thing I miss though is the ability to set DLNA shares on a per folder basis as done in OS4. Instead, I have spin up DLNA by share. Long story short, doing it the OS6 way is picking up a bunch of folders I don't want because my share is near the root of my hard drive.

Thinking I was pretty clever I turned off DLNA in web admin, SSH'd into the ReadyNAS and edited etc/minidlna.conf to make the shared folders more specific. (Basically commented in a couple of folders lower down the path instead of the root of the share).

The problem I have is that minidlna.conf appears to revert to original every time I restart the service in the web admin. I tried the additional step of killing the process over SSH before editing the file, but no dice.

Are there any additional steps I can take to make my edits "stick"? Or does the web admin reset the config file every damn time no matter what I do?

I've searched the forums and the most recent I see discussing this issue is from 2013, so I feel it's on side to bring it up again.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Try creating a file called minidlna.conf.local containing the changes you made and save to /etc, then in minidlna.conf add a line 

include=/etc/minidlna.conf.local

You will, of course, have to do this again if you ever Factory Default reset your NAS

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bedlam1 wrote:

then in minidlna.conf add a line 

include=/etc/minidlna.conf.local

I think you'll find that line is already present.

ReadyNAS OS6 automatically attempts to repair broken config. So a local or overrides file (depending on what's specified in the config) can be used to get around that.

Message 3 of 5
brock_gonad
Aspirant

Awesome - thanks to you and @bedlam1. Question on the use of .local

Should the .local contain the entire config file, or just any additional lines I want over/above what's in minidlna.conf? And would any folder paths over-ride the default one in minidlna.conf

I'm trying to make the library further down the folder tree from the root.

minidlna.conf contains media_dir=V,name_of_my_volume/Media

minidlna.conf.local would contain media_dir=V,/name_of_my_volume/Media/movies_intended_to_share

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Just put your modifications into local, no need for the complete conf

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements