× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading Drives in a RN316

AftaImage
Aspirant

Upgrading Drives in a RN316

Hi All,

I am looking for confirmation and tips for upgrading the Drive array in my ReadyNas 316, which has been running brilliantly (like the ReadyNas NV+s I had before it). I am cautious because I had a failed drive a long time ago and messed up the drive replacement (user error), so I want to make sure I understand the process right now.

Details:
RN316
4x6TB drives / (Channels 3,4,5,6)
Firmware 6.10.8

Everything is in the green. Logs-only errors were alert-related (change of password in my email services, sorted) and running out of space (hence the upgrade).
Running x-raid (RAID 5)

Plan:
Looking to replace the 4 x 6TB's with 6 new drives (that are on the support matrix).

Note: I have backed up all critical data but don't have enough room to back up the non-important data. So my goal is to upgrade, avoiding data loss, but in the worst-case scenario, the critical data is backed up. 

From reading, I understand the process is:
1. Pick a drive (as all are green and have no errors, not important which drive to ReadyNas).
2. Pull the drive out, and replace it with a brand-new drive.
3. Insert back into ReadyNas and let it detect and fully rebuild the drive.

4. Repeat for the remaining three drives, waiting each time that the rebuild is complete before the next disk.
5. Once all four drives are replaced, the ReadyNAS will automatically expand to the volume to take advantage of the larger space.
Q: Just confirming there is nothing I need to do to trigger this?

6. Once the expansion is complete, insert the 5th disk in a free slot (I was thinking Channel 2).
7. It should add the drive to the volume and expand.
Q: Do I need to take any actions to trigger or be specific about which channel I insert the drive into? 

8. Wait for the rebuild with the 5th drive is complete.
9. Repeat for the 6th and final disk. 
10. Sigh relief and tell everyone how great Netgear's ReadyNas products are.

If anyone could help answer the questions above, give any tips, or let me know if there are any errors in my understanding of the process, I would be super grateful.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading Drives in a RN316

Hope it goes well!

@AftaImage wrote:

Plan:
Looking to replace the 4 x 6TB's with 6 new drives (that are on the support matrix).

They haven't updated it in a long time, and some of the drive specs are outdated. Generally I recommend  ignoring the HCL and going with

1. Seagate Ironwolf
  2. WD Red Plus (not Reds)
  3. Enterprise Class

WD Red models use SMR technology, and are not well suited for NAS.  Many desktop models in the 2-6 TB range are also SMR - you might check the specs, and make sure you didn't accidentally get one.

Personally I test the drives before I install them.  I use vendor tools in a Windows PC (Seatools for Seagate, Dashboard or Lifeguard for WDC).  I actually prefer the older Lifeguard software for WDC, as it includes a full erase test (which I run after I run the full read test).

FYI, Netgear recommends backing up the data first (and I concur).  The array is unprotected during the resyncs, and there is a lot of disk I/O.  Every sector on every disk is either read or written on each resync.  A drive failure during that process will result in data loss.  So it was wise to back up all the data you could.

@AftaImage wrote:

5. Once all four drives are replaced, the ReadyNAS will automatically expand to the volume to take advantage of the larger space.

Actually expansion will begin after the second upgraded drive is synced.  The capacity rule for X-RAID is "sum the drives and subtract the largest".

Keep in mind that the NAS uses TiB units, not TB.

@AftaImage wrote:

No, nothing you need to do.

@AftaImage wrote:

Q: Do I need to take any actions to trigger or be specific about which channel I insert the drive into? 

No special actions, and it doesn't matter what bay you use.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Hope it goes well!

@AftaImage wrote:

Plan:

They haven't updated it in a long time, and some of the drive specs are outdated. Generally I recommend  ignoring the HCL and going with

1. Seagate Ironwolf
  3. Enterprise Class

WD Red models use SMR technology, and are not well suited for NAS.  Many desktop models in the 2-6 TB range are also SMR - you might check the specs, and make sure you didn't accidentally get one.

Personally I test the drives before I install them.  I use vendor tools in a Windows PC (Seatools for Seagate, Dashboard or Lifeguard for WDC).  I actually prefer the older Lifeguard software for WDC, as it includes a full erase test (which I run after I run the full read test).

FYI, Netgear recommends backing up the data first (and I concur).  The array is unprotected during the resyncs, and there is a lot of disk I/O.  Every sector on every disk is either read or written on each resync.  A drive failure during that process will result in data loss.  So it was wise to back up all the data you could.

@AftaImage wrote:

Actually expansion will begin after the second upgraded drive is synced.  The capacity rule for X-RAID is "sum the drives and subtract the largest".

Keep in mind that the NAS uses TiB units, not TB.

@AftaImage wrote:

No, nothing you need to do.

@AftaImage wrote:

No special actions, and it doesn't matter what bay you use.

Message 2 of 6
AftaImage
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, 

This is exactly the insight I was looking for. I will start running tests on the drive now now and then kick off the process.

Have an awesome weekend!

Message 3 of 6
AftaImage
Aspirant

1. Seagate Ironwolf
  3. Enterprise Class

Thanks for the insight. I went for the Seagate Ironwolf, so it's good to hear the recommendation.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Unless your NAS is in FlexRAID mode, you are looking at the wrong instructions.  In XRAID, the RAID is going to expand after you replace the first two, then again after the third, and every drive thereafter.  That is, from drives 2 on, there will be two syncs.  That's a lot of syncing.

Unless you have a specific reason you think the existing drives need to be replaced, I suggest you just add two 6TB's now and wait to swap out the others as it becomes necessary (drive starting to fail or you need more room).  That will mean the drives put in later are newer (assuming you've not already bought them), spreading out the chances of failure.  Even if you have reason to swap out the existing drives now, why not just do those four and wait to add more as you need the space?

If you are concerned that you need all the same drive type,  don't be.  The NAS does just fine with a mixture of drive brands/models.  It's complain if some are 5400RPM class and some 7200RPM class, but it'll still work (and some WD report as 5400 but are really 7200, anyway).

Message 5 of 6
AftaImage
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark, I am low on space hence the drive to replacement.

I got all 6 drives because of now and future needs (running out of space), and I manage to get a real good deal on all 6 drives at once. I am kicking off the testing today, and fingers cross it all goes well.

Thanks for your insight :).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements