× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iSCSI LUN flips to SMB share on NAS 314 #26079603

rreinstein
Aspirant

iSCSI LUN flips to SMB share on NAS 314 #26079603

Greetings,

I recently purchased a NAS 314, and decided to check out the iSCSI option. I've worked with other iSCSI SANs, so I'm familair with the concept and how to set it up. I created a LUN, which was accessible via the Microsoft iSCSI initiator. After populating the LUN with lots of data, I needed to re-run some cables so I shut down the NAS via the power button. I neglected to disconnect the iSCSI initiator session prior to doing this. When I was able to power the NAS back on, the iSCSI LUN was gone. In it's place was a SMB share with the same name and showed a space utilization the same size as the iSCSI LUN. 

Netgear support was very good, though slow, and (3 days later) remotely SSH'ed to the NAS and adjusted the LUN definition back to iSCSI (via Linux commands). There was no data loss. It just concerned me that this could happen in the first place, and wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced this.

Otherwise I have 2 other Netgear NASs and am very happy with them.

Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSI LUN flips to SMB share on NAS 314 #26079603

Looks like about 3 days before you created the LUN you created a share with the same name, but that share would have had to have been deleted before creating the LUN.

Not sure why the system would think a LUN was a share.

Message 2 of 3
rreinstein
Aspirant

Re: iSCSI LUN flips to SMB share on NAS 314 #26079603

Yes, I had a populated share and decided to make it an iSCSI LUN, so I renamed the share since I wanted to name the LUN the same name as the share, created the LUN using the original name of the share, moved the data over, then deleted the share. The LUN was usable until I rebooted. 

Apparently the header information for the LUN turned into a SMB header. the engineer was able to flip it back. But if I that ever happens again, I'll need to buy a service contract to get it flipped back. Not cool.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements