× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup ReadyNAS to eSATA connected external drive including private time machine

HolgerGT86
Guide

Backup ReadyNAS to eSATA connected external drive including private time machine

Hello, 

I'm using a ReadyNAS 104 at firmware level 6.4.1 RC1.

I have a TAURUS RAID connected to the eSATA interface on the back side of the ReadyNAS.

I'm backing up multiple Macs to the ReadyNAS using private time machine.

For example:

I have multiple users defined on the ReadyNAS: user-1, user-2

User user-1 is backing up his Mac to the ReadyNAS using private time machine for user-1.

User user-2 is doing the same with a different Mac.

I'm now backing up all home shares from the ReadyNAS to the eSATA connected TAURUS RAID.

Means, /ReadyNAS/data/home/user-1 and /ReadyNAS/data/home/user-2 are backed up.

Does this backup include the private time machine backups of user-1 and user-2?

I noticed in the backup protocol that the AppleDB etc. is included, and, from the amount of data being backed up it looks like time machine backups are included here.

I already searched in the forum but was unable to identify a direct hit.

Can someone help?

Many thanks and regards,

Holger

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup ReadyNAS to eSATA connected external drive including private time machine

When creating a backup job, when browsing for the local source click on PrivateNAS (the name of your NAS) itself, not the data volume beneath that. Then you should see in the box to the right that "Time Machine" is an option you can choose for the source.

The Time Machine backup data is not stored in the private home folder, but under Time Machine.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To backup the Time Machine data you would select Time Machine as the source.

The Time Machine backups are sparsebundles.

Message 2 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

Hello mdgm,

I cannot select time machine as source when defining a new backup job.

My ReadyNAS 104 at level 6.4.1 RC1 is not offering to do this. I opened all available folders / shares in the source window but there's no time machine at all.

I'm here:

new-backup-job.jpg

Message 3 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello HolgerGT86,

Time Machine can be viewed via AFP.

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

Hello JennC,

you mean that I can use AFP to connect from the Mac to the ReadyNAS and then will get the private time machine share, too.

Correct?

What I mean is different.

I'm backing up all the home shares from the ReadyNAS to an external drive. The external drive is connected to the ReadyNAS through USB or eSATA. When I do this, do the home share backups include the private time machine sparse bundles, too?

Log:

-------- Backup Job Information --------
Backup Job Name: BackupHomeFoldersToTaurus
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: local
Backup Source: [home:*]/
Backup Destination: [eSATA Back]/
Backup Start Time: Tue Nov 24 2015  8:23:30
Backup Finish Time: Tue Nov 24 2015 16:10:40
Backup Status: Success

-------- Backup Job Log --------
Copy Folder  admin
Copy Folder  holger
Copy Folder  holger/.AppleDB
Copy File  holger/.AppleDB/cnid2.db
Copy File  holger/.AppleDB/db_errlog
Copy File  holger/.AppleDB/lock
Copy File  holger/.AppleDB/log.0000000001

From the file sizes the .AppleDB folder contents do not include the time machine backups.

When I define backup jobs in the ReadyNAS GUI I cannot select time machine backups as source for the backup. Correct?

I hope my question is clearer now.

Regards...Holger

Message 5 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

I just figured out the time machine sparse bundles are in /data/.timemachine/holger.

How is that bundled with /home/holger?

Message 6 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HolgerGT86,

Mount the ReadyNAS in your MAC via AFP and a hidden folder where all your sparse bundles should be available. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When creating a backup job, when browsing for the local source click on PrivateNAS (the name of your NAS) itself, not the data volume beneath that. Then you should see in the box to the right that "Time Machine" is an option you can choose for the source.

The Time Machine backup data is not stored in the private home folder, but under Time Machine.

Message 8 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

Hello mdgm,

thanks for your update. This is what finally answered my question.

Private time machine backups are NOT included in the home share backups but need to be defined seperately:

timemachine-backup.jpg

Is it possible the GUI changed from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1. RC1? 

When opening e.g. the NAS itself or USB/eSATA ports, the details now open on the right side only whereas with 6.4.0 the details were on the left side, too.  At least for USB/eSATA I know that the available ports were listed as tree below USB/eSATA on the left side which is no longer done with 6.4.1 RC1. Which is good by the way.

I have one more thing which I feel can be improved.

When defining the time machine backup job, I selected to delete all files on the backup target, assuming this is for the new defined backup job only. When executing the new defined time machine backup job, this deleted ALL my backups on the backup target, including the backup files of my home shares.

Is this working as designed?

If so, the option to delete all files on the backup target should be made a global setting and not a setting within each backup job. Because as it's implemented now, the option to delete all files on the backup target can be set different for each backup job. This implies that only the backup files of this specific job will be deleted on the target.

Do you want me to open a seperate thread for this topic?

Regards... Holger

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do make UI changes over time, so it is possible.

Might be a good idea to open a new topic for your question about the deletion of all files on the backup destination.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements