× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't shutdown Ready NAS rn104 with 6.1.4 RC3

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Can't shutdown Ready NAS rn104 with 6.1.4 RC3

Hello
I have a VERY irritating problem. Everything time I turn off my NAS unit it just starts up again. After 3-4 sec. I have disk sleep turned off and auto standby schedule off. Anyone??????
Now I have to turn it off and quickly plugg the AC adapter.....

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I found the sollution myself!!!!

It was the addon VPN 1.5.0 that caused the change of MTU every system shutdown. As soon as i uninstalled it everything worked flawlessy again!!!!!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still have this issue if you update to the production 6.4.1 release?

Message 2 of 15
Jophus
Luminary

Do you have jumbo frames on AND Wake-on-LAN at the same time?

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you all for quick replays. So I can't have booth jumboframes and WoL activated.????? I hope a fix is comming for that matter.....I really need booth
Message 4 of 15
Jophus
Luminary

Nope. WoL + jumbo frames = instant wake up after shutdown. Netgear deemed this known issue, as recorded by my own open support case, as low priority and didn't feel it worthy to put it in the "known issues" section of 6.4.1 release notes.
Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How do I turn off jumboframes. ???? Thanks for helping me out
Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@h3nk3 wrote:
How do I turn off jumboframes. ???? Thanks for helping me out

Did you ever turn them on?  They are off by default.

Log in to the web ui, and select network.  Click on the settings wheel next to the ethernet adapter icon.  

On the "general" tab there's a field called "MTU".  Set to 1500 (if it isn't already) and jumbo frames are off.  The NAS might prompt for a reboot.

Message 7 of 15
Jophus
Luminary

The issue identified by the support case will only occur if you have actively changed the MTU from 1500 to 9000.  If you haven't changed the MTU, then your case is different to mine. Go to "Network" and have a look at your MTU.  If it's 1500 and your box doesn't stay shutdown, it is a new issue.  If it is above 1500, change it back to 1500 by clicking on the cog and reboot and see if a shutdown stays shutdown.

The below is a screenshot of my working legacy Ultra6 with jumbo frames (for illustration purposes), which works fine.  My RN102 doesn't work with WoL and Jumbo frames and has an MTU of 1500.

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello again

Mine was set to 1985.....instead of 1500.

Now everythings working with system shutdown again. What am I loosing here. Any performance loss from going from 1985 to 1500????

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

1985 is a very strange value.  It certainly should not have been set to that.

"MTU" stands for "maximum transmission unit".  The value should be matched to the maximum packet size your network (e.g. your switch and router) can carry (taking into account the max packet size your PC NIC cards can receive).  There are ways to test this - the most common is to use a utility called ping.  If you google MTU and ping you'll find several guides.

The standard value for ethernet is 1500 bytes, and that is the NAS default.  

9000 bytes is common for jumbo frmes, though some laptops in particular need smaller values.  Sometimes enabling jumbo frames will improve performance, but in other cases it will actually hurt performance.  

The reason it is inconsistent is that jumbo frames don't change the raw speed of your network.  What they do is reduce the packet rate (larger packets mean that you send fewer of them).  For some devices that reduces the CPU usage, but that is not always the case.  

FWIW I use 1500 for my NAS.

Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. VERY helpful
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this detailed information. Good service at this forum
Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello again. I need further assistance. I've changed the MTU to 1500. But still if WoL is activated in admin GUI it still power on after a full system shutdown. It has to do something with the WoL activated part. The funny thing is that this issue/bug appeared a few firmares ago . Before the bug I've used the NAS unit for maybe two years with zero issues. I have not changed anything else except starting to use NFS instead of Samba.
Any thoughts???
Thanks Henrik Sweden
Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I found out what causing the problem. If i power off the NAS unit the MTU changes to 1986 upon boot. If i reboot it stays at choosen value. 1500 MTU?

I'm wondering if anyone else having this bug/problem? Is there any sollution for this?

Henrik

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I found the sollution myself!!!!

It was the addon VPN 1.5.0 that caused the change of MTU every system shutdown. As soon as i uninstalled it everything worked flawlessy again!!!!!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements