× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting a 2 bay use caddy to one use port on a RN 104 is this possible

omygitworks
Aspirant

Connecting a 2 bay use caddy to one use port on a RN 104 is this possible

Hi pretty new to this I am running a ready nas 104 with the latest software  4.wd red  2tb drives I Have a couple of western digital green drives and a 2 bay Orico drive caddy not in any raid format as this caddy does not support raid I did try filling both bays in the caddy  but neither was recognised  but if I just use one drive in the caddy it's seen and is usable the caddy is a powered usb 3 device 

cheers

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Connecting a 2 bay use caddy to one use port on a RN 104 is this possible

I believe you are asking about using a multi-drive USB enclosure with your ReadyNAS and that, further, you are using it in a JBOD rather than a spanned or RAID configuration (so you see each drive in the enclosure separately).  The word "caddy" is confusing some, as that's simply a mounting device, as is used to hold the drives in your NAS.

I know that with the older model ReadyNAS devices, it was sort of hit-or-miss whether one of these would work or not.  Some brands did, others not.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello omygitworks,

Welcome to the community!

First of all, please make sure to use disks that are listed at HCL.

ReadyNAS is using a BTRFS format, so have a full of the files that you have stored to these disks that you want to insert to the ReadyNAS. The disks should be empty and no partition. From there you can start from scratch, factory resetting the NAS with the disks inserted will force the NAS to format the disks to the file system it is using and will allow you to create a new volume and configure RAID.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
omygitworks
Aspirant

Hi I think this is one of those times when it's  one of those times when using text as opposed to voice  I do have wd red drives in the readynas 104 it's a drive caddy with 2 usb drives I am asking about  for back up purposes  will the readynas find 2 drives on the same USB port  not tried yet in case it causes an issue 

Thank you for the quick responce to my post though 

cheers 

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe you are asking about using a multi-drive USB enclosure with your ReadyNAS and that, further, you are using it in a JBOD rather than a spanned or RAID configuration (so you see each drive in the enclosure separately).  The word "caddy" is confusing some, as that's simply a mounting device, as is used to hold the drives in your NAS.

I know that with the older model ReadyNAS devices, it was sort of hit-or-miss whether one of these would work or not.  Some brands did, others not.

Message 4 of 5
omygitworks
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark yes thats pretty much it a 2 bay hard drive enclosure  its mains powered and usb 3 connectable  I have a couple of spare drives lying not being used I suspect the best thing is to just try them out on the NAS and see if it works  but thanks for the assistance folks pretty quick and helpfull  looks to be a great community here

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements