× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Deleting Large Folder Taking Hours!!

barkster28
Aspirant

Deleting Large Folder Taking Hours!!

I'm trying to delete 211 gb folder off my ready nas and when I do it through windwos it says Time remaining "more than 1 day" seriously?  So I opened up the Web GUI and selected the folder and clicked delete and the page has been sitting there for over an hour with the activity wheel spinning.  Is this typical? This is crazy.

Message 1 of 8
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Deleting Large Folder Taking Hours!!

sometimes windows does not show correct time remaining

reboot your nas and then navigate to the folder and delete it there

Message 2 of 8
barkster28
Aspirant

thanks, but it has been deleting for 24 hours now so seems pretty close, it's deleting each file one by one.  I stopped the deletion from windows, rebooted nas,logged into web interface and deleted the folder using web interface and still taking forever.  I'm going to ssh into it next.  This is rediculous.  

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SSH is certainly the fastest way to do it, if you are comfortable with the implications of using SSH.

Message 4 of 8
barkster28
Aspirant

Yeah even after rebooting and using the web interface it never completed the deletion and was taking hours.  I ssh'd into it an deleted the 211gb folder and another 40gb folder in under 10 mins for both.  Who the hell had two days to delete files, freaking stupid.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Too late for you to try it now, but I wonder if opening a Windows command promt window and using RMDIR /S /Q would have been almost as fast as going to SSH.  Windows likes to keep track of what is happening, and all of that statusing is one thing that can take a lot of extra time.  But the old DOS type commnds usually don't care.

Message 6 of 8
barkster28
Aspirant

Yeah too late but with the web gui taking forever litterally I doubt that would have been any faster. I would have thought he web gui would have been just as fast as SSH boy was I wrong

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Wow.  I copied a folder containing 65000 files amounting to 95GB just to run an experiment.  Folders were stacked 5 deep.  Windows 7 took less than 10 minutes to delete it.  RMDIR /Q /Y took about the same.  This is on an Ultra4 running OS 6.4.1.  So, I wonder what is wrong with your system.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements